so like err anyone worked on it here?

trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZnLZmfwbhU

http://www.swissmadevfx.com/CARGO/CARGO_AFFICHE_01.jpg

http://www.swissmadevfx.com/CARGO/CARGO_VFX_01.jpg

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Oliver and kat/djlithium.

We (db&w) might even have some end credits as well (I never got to watch the final release).

Cheers,
Mike

Vong
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow... Looks good... Time to Flix it....

arsad
07-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I worked on it too! :-)

archijam
07-13-2010, 02:27 AM
And quantumschaum was heavily involved (Robbie Müller), but he's not on the forums so much.

I liked it alot too, especially the production values and effects shots.

The pacing and storyline trailed behind a tad, but well worth the watch ..

LW: will check.

PS. I also got the CARGO energy drink ;) (seriously) ...

(foto of a friend)

djlithium
07-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Yeah it was stupid warm. I can't believe you are still waiting for money from Marcel (the "producer"). Sickens me really.
But at least you have seen the movie.. I am still waiting for my copy promised to me ages ago. Should've known.

cresshead
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
okay what bits did you lot do then?...seeing as there's NOWT/zip/Ziltch on the dvd for extras or behind the scenes....GRRR!

WilliamVaughan
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm looking forward to this one... looks fun!

djlithium
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
okay what bits did you lot do then?...seeing as there's NOWT/zip/Ziltch on the dvd for extras or behind the scenes....GRRR!

That figures.. :) Sorry about the glitch though.

We were responsible for all of the Station 42 sequence at the end of the film.

Robbie designed and built Station 42 more or less by himself (and when I say its massive and accurate down to the mm I am not joking), he also rebuilt and re-textured the Kassandra as what we got from the C4D team was largely unusable and when we produced our renders vs theirs it was night and day for many of the flyby shots so throughout the film those are largely the lightwave teams as well.

Robbie lit most of the station internals on the modules while I did lighting on the docking station tray system, some basic rigging and worked out some of the major rendering issues that were happening (the station was huge! over 12GB in ram all loaded during a render) and set up a pipeline for the renders to be done in a manner that "worked" with their compositing requirements (please note, that what we did looks radically different than the final shots - as we had practically no control over how it turned out in the end, which sucked because in my opinion our stuff looked 10 times better right out of LW and even in my slap composites that I would put together in 2 minutes as a "base" for the compositors in Toxik to use - were much better - in my opinion)

Oliver worked on additional lighting, render management, and the end explosion sequence plus some other stuff that I am not sure of 100% because I left at that point to return to Vancouver while the last of the renders and small odds and ends were being finalized.

Arsad did some modeling and some other stuff...but I never met him unfortunately which sucks because I would have liked to. Maybe he can fill in the gaps as to what he did and Oliver also can clarify. It was a year ago and we all chipped in everywhere, but robbie was the man on that job for sure. :) We love you robbie!

arsad
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
well first of all: my name is Karim Arsad!!!
But as we never met, I forgive kat ;)
I also would have loved to meet him as he seems to be a very nice guy and a wonderful Lightwave artist.

I was in production of another film (industrial) when Oliver searched for help so I joined the team at the very end when my other job was over.

I helped Oliver to get the scenes rendered that were wonderfully prepared by Robbie Mueller and Kelly Meyers, I animated the astronauts and did the FX for the energy coming from the Kassandra start from station 42.
Some of the shots were really better than the final comp shows.

And just for info... The film is a Swiss production, not german. Though the team was well mixed from all over the world.

cresshead
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info...keep it coming [all the other who worked on it] as i really like the feel to the film and the space/fx shots look top banana to me, so well done for all the hard work...certainly entertained me last night when i watched it on DVD.
:thumbsup:

would be nice to see some of these shots on the newtek reel at siggy this year....

archijam
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Cress- there is a Second DVD with some shots on it .. But mainly the first station, so c4d.

Also some different storyboards of plot versions, could be interesting for you actually.

Riff_Masteroff
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I checked amazon only to find that the Cargo dvd is not available for US region 1. So, probably, I will never see the movie.

cresshead
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I checked amazon only to find that the Cargo dvd is not available for US region 1. So, probably, I will never see the movie.

which would be quite a shame as i really think it's pretty good actually..

mind you..note that most if not ALL dvd releases for usa are dubbed if they are in another language...so you might have to wait a while as they record the dubbed english version or on the other hand you could buy the region 2 version and watch it right now!:D:thumbsup:

there's some great fx in this film as well as a real nice 'feel' to the whole thing...very 'alien'

just like to add that you guys did a great job on the FX...wonderful environment/space fx nice n gritty.

radams
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

First I want to say to the whole FX production team...including Kat, Oliver, Arsad, etc...
from what I've seen from the stills and trailers...Great job!!

Marcel has not finished paying any of you yet?

I had nothing to do with the final production but had started with some preproduction (for intial concepts, FX supervision, etc..._) with Ivan, the director.

Yes this was a huge leap for a Swiss production...hey Kat what was the final budget they had...they originally had wanted to do the whole movie for 650,000 swiss francs...

Ivan is a really cool inventive guy...I was sorry I had to bow out to come back to the US to deal with some family issues here.

Glad that it finally was produced...I hope that they got a distribution deal.
Hey Kat drop me a PM or email when you get a chance.

Cheers,

archijam
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Cress - I made a screenshot of the extras menu .. how's your german ;) ?

edit: the second image is the 'galleries' section.

Lightwolf
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I had nothing to do with the final production but had started with some preproduction (for intial concepts, FX supervision, etc..._) with Ivan, the director.
I was involved a few years ago (during their first attempt, around v265 of the script) via the studio I co-owned back then. They had thought about moving the VFX work to Germany and getting some government funds - unfortunately that didn't work out.

The next time I heard about it was when I got a phone call from Switzerland regarding exrTrader and Toxic. Boy was I surprised... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cresshead
07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Cress - I made a screenshot of the extras menu .. how's your german ;) ?

edit: the second image is the 'galleries' section.

quite irritated that the uk [german voice english subtiles] has no extras at all...anyhow at least the movie was on it! :hey::D

i reckon if/when the usa dubbed version comes out i'll get that as well as i also hope they add the extras back in for me...we uk do appear to get 'stiffed' over extras etc...

radams
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I was involved a few years ago (during their first attempt, around v265 of the script) via the studio I co-owned back then. They had thought about moving the VFX work to Germany and getting some government funds - unfortunately that didn't work out.

The next time I heard about it was when I got a phone call from Switzerland regarding exrTrader and Toxic. Boy was I surprised... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah, I knew they had to get more funding...If I had stayed with the project you and Eric were some of the people I wanted to bring into it.

Eric for the Lead compositor of course :)...now though his gig with Eyeon is good...and he has more time for family :)

Glad that they were able to get things together and produced the movie.
I still need to see it...I'll have to try to get someone to send me a PAL version...I can play it back on my systems here.

Again, Kat and all from what I've seen you have done an amazing job!

Anyone still talking with Ivan?

Cheers,

Lightwolf
07-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I knew they had to get more funding...If I had stayed with the project you and Eric were some of the people I wanted to bring into it.
Eric and I were on the gig during the time we discussed it - he was only working part time for Eyeon back then. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

radams
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Eric and I were on the gig during the time we discussed it - he was only working part time for Eyeon back then. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

It's a small world :)

Does anyone know if Ivan is planning another movie?
I look forward to working with any of you that worked on Cargo.

How are things going Kat? What are you up to these days?

Cheers,

Lightwolf
07-15-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a small world :)

Small? It's bloody tiny. And "you always meet twice" is certainly an understatement.

Cheers,
Mike

-EsHrA-
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
i hope this gets noticed, wonderfull piece of work for a tiny budget!

mlon

Netvudu
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
"Eric" might be Eric Westphal? He gave me quite an amazing Fusion training, as part of the SWAT program, last year.

radams
07-15-2010, 02:11 PM
"Eric" might be Eric Westphal? He gave me quite an amazing Fusion training, as part of the SWAT program, last year.

Yup, and he is "The Man"!!!...and a really nice guy...while being an amazing creative artist and technical genius :).

We've know each other for years now...same goes for Mike :)

Does any of the final production team know if Cargo made back their production costs?
Any idea what their final budget was? Did it get decent distribution?

Cheers,

danielkaiser
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
quite irritated that the uk [german voice english subtiles] has no extras at all...anyhow at least the movie was on it! :hey::D

i reckon if/when the usa dubbed version comes out i'll get that as well as i also hope they add the extras back in for me...we uk do appear to get 'stiffed' over extras etc...

If it was a rental it's now common practice for the studios to strip any extras form the the disks to quote "encourage purchase of the disks" it's also the reasoning behind 28 day delay after release for rentals. makes me regret my acquisition of a blu-ray player. if there are any special features of a movie I want to see I'll just wait for the disks to hit the budget bin at walmart, or buy used.

BTW great work on the movie guys.

arsad
07-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks everybody for the compliments.

To answer some of the questions:

- Ivan has been called by Hollywood (afaik) and surely has new projects in mind ;-)
- the budget was about 5 million Euros
- afaik it didn't do extremly well in Swiss but I have no info if it made back the production costs.

radams
07-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks everybody for the compliments.

To answer some of the questions:

- Ivan has been called by Hollywood (afaik) and surely has new projects in mind ;-)
- the budget was about 5 million Euros
- afaik it didn't do extremly well in Swiss but I have no info if it made back the production costs.

Hi Arsad,

Thanks for the info...glad that they were able to get the 5 million...for what they wanted I told them that 650,000 wasn't going to cut it. I had tried to scale back their initial concepts to make their budget work...but recommended they look to increase their budget. Do you know how much went for the FX and Post Budget?

I hope that it did better in Germany...Mike did it get much mention in the theaters?

I hope that their DVD sales were good.

The fact that they were able to do this kind of production for less than 20 million is a credit to the entire production team.

Kat, you do work magic man :)

As I stated before Ivan is a very talented and creative guy...I would like to work with him again someday. We were on the same page as far as vision, direction and technology...we had a good repour.

Cheers,

Lightwolf
07-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I hope that it did better in Germany...Mike did it get much mention in the theaters?
I don't remember it being released in cinemas. I think it was a DVD/BlueRay only release.

Cheers,
Mike

radams
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't remember it being released in cinemas. I think it was a DVD/BlueRay only release.

Cheers,
Mike

Then that was a shame...I believe it was in Swiss Theaters...I had hoped that it had also been in German Theaters as well...especially with the cast of which most were Germans.

Cheers,

archijam
07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
In an interview they mention a production cost of 5 million swiss francs (at that time .66 euro). Could be that the final bills had not yet arrived ;) ..

Swiss films of late have a terrible track record, and are not necessarily trusted by the locals as a result. I think cargo could have been a victim of this - I guarantee that if it was an international or german release more locals would have gone.

I think the last big success in swiss film was Achtung Fertig Charlie (swiss army comedy) and perhaps some success for Snow White (the drug excesses of a beautiful 'promi' from the zurich lake) ..

radams
07-16-2010, 08:02 AM
In an interview they mention a production cost of 5 million swiss francs (at that time .66 euro). Could be that the final bills had not yet arrived ;) ..

Swiss films of late have a terrible track record, and are not necessarily trusted by the locals as a result. I think cargo could have been a victim of this - I guarantee that if it was an international or german release more locals would have gone.

I think the last big success in swiss film was Achtung Fertig Charlie (swiss army comedy) and perhaps some success for Snow White (the drug excesses of a beautiful 'promi' from the zurich lake) ..

Well, one of the producer's of Cargo was also a producer on Achtung Fertig Charlie...and they had distribution setup in Switzerland before production started...I thought they were also trying to setup German distribution as well.

Independent Production in general is hard in Switzerland...most is subsidized (limited) by the government...or limited grant funds. And then most higher end production Finish Post is in England or Germany.

Cheers,