PDA

View Full Version : Thanks LightWave

THIBAULT
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Hello everyone,

First, please excuse my English a little rough.

I take the presentation of my first image made with Lightwave to give my testimony of a novice, I hope, will benefit the other novices.
I have to buy Lightwave few months ago primarily for the price and I just realized my first image to an equipment truck.
It took me three months to make this picture, it's a long time! but I had to learn everything.
At the same time, many truths appeared to me. Truths certainly gained by most of you, but little for many beginners.

Firstly, in order to avoid a lot of psychological suffering, remember that for most independents, 3D is the realization of logo, print and architecture, not to achieve special effects for large or small productions.
Accuracy is important to avoid choosing a software based on its capacity to generate water, smoke or other functions that we never use or very little.

Second important point to me, LightWave know almost everything! So before questioning the software, it is important to challenge yourself!

Third important point, the render! So there, that utopia can be read on the forums!
It is always better with the neighbor!

Vray is better than Kray is better than Fprime which itself is higher than the engine's native Lightwave! (I forgot MentalRay, Maxwell, etc, ...)

Me, I found one thing, none of my clients has seen the difference! And customer satisfaction is not she the most important thing?

In conclusion, if this first 3D scene is far from perfect, I know now that to improve it, I'll have to move forward and work hard. Not criticize my soft 3D.

Finish, I had the chance to project on other 3D package - Cinema 4D, modo and Max - to me, only one choice: Productivity / Quality / Price = Newtek LightWave.

Strongly stable HC! (CORE, i don't know for this time)

Cheers and thank you for your interest.

Thibault

Image : 3760 X 3248 - 3 pass phorealistic blur - Xdof and Xdof antialaising - HDRI (picture HDRI 230 Mo) + 1 area in front - Occlusion on road material - Render time : 1H26

PC : Bi Xeon 2.50 Mhz - 12 Go Ram - Vista Pro 64

DBMiller
07-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Since no one else has answered, well done! And welcome to LightWave!

Hopper
07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd say it was an excellent render. The reflections are nice, the truck modeling is well done, the surfacing on the truck looks good. The HDRI is a little odd, but then again - that can be tweaked and changed.

Very nice job.

Wade
07-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Well done - and for a first using LW very well done! :beerchug:

Nicolas Jordan
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
When it comes down to making a living in 3d, you are right. The only thing that really matters is client satisfaction.

I'm not sure what it is about Lightwave that keeps me coming back but there is just something about having that old proven and reliable workhorse around. :)

speismonqui
07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
is vray really that better than fprime? or LW native renderer?
I think vray is "too perfect", reality is not. thats why I love LW and fprime, because the results looks more realistic.

Nicolas Jordan
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
is vray really that better than fprime? or LW native renderer?
I think vray is "too perfect", reality is not. thats why I love LW and fprime, because the results looks more realistic.

I wouldn't say Vray is better either but it I would say it would do some things differently than other renders maybe better or maybe worse. I personally like using fprime whenever I can if I'm not using HD Instance etc.

chco2
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
2 be honest.. In the end.. I find the native Lightwave renderer (for me!) to be the best choice. I always love the end result. (and my clients 2 ;))

GraphXs
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
V-Ray is very nice but not perfect and can be slow. It can also within "Max" not always be so user friendly unlike the easy of Lightwave materials and render engine. FPrime IMO kicks V-Ray RT butt! So far V-Ray RT doesn't give us the same results as just using the normal V-Ray render, and is missing things like transparencies. I would say F-Prime gives most of the time, the expected results if using it as the preview and renderer.

speismonqui
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
THIBAULT, give FPrime a try :hey:

akademus
07-13-2010, 05:13 AM
With mindset of yours and with persistence you'll get far in this industry. Move boldly on!!!

THIBAULT
07-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement. Touched!

For the render, I've also Kray! I find it very good!

I also made a record with Fprime I just bought, but it's very near of rendering Lightwave, so I stayed on the engine natively.

Cheers

Thibault

PeteS
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Fantastic first project! Imagine, you only get better from here!
One little note. A wide angle lens, like the one your scene has, has very little depth of field to it. Take a look at any wide angle scenery type images. The heavy depth of field comes in when you use a zoom lens or macro lens. (I know..depth of filed looks cool, but it makes your truck look like a toy that you are zooming in on)

Anyhow..great work!
P