PDA

View Full Version : I finally saw Avatar

shrox
07-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I did like it, but for some reason I wasn't thrilled like everyone else seemed to be. The story actually reminded me of "Little Big Man", a movie from 1970 starring Dustin Hoffman. He is a white man that ends up joining the "human beings", as the tribe of the Cheyenne nation called themselves.

Avatar was good, the designs were good, but I just didn't have that pseudo religious experience I heard people talk about. I'd see it again when it makes another round in 3D.

I did think that the lead character Jake was an idiotic buffoon, I wanted to punch him myself at times...

Matt
07-12-2010, 02:14 AM
The last "WTF this is cool!" experience I had at the cinema was the first Matrix movie. That blew me away on all levels and I left the theater in awe.

Yeah, that was quite a cinema experience, that and when the Sloth dude started coughing in Se7en, that proper crapped the audience!

Wonder if Inception will be any good, going to see it this Friday.

glebe digital
07-12-2010, 04:23 AM
All Cameron's movies have essentially the same plot......a Christ-like Hero/Man/Robot sacrifices himself......titanic, avatar, terminator......same darn plot every time.

So boring.....

-EsHrA-
07-12-2010, 04:29 AM
aaand.. i really didnt like it... felt like 3d-artists slavery to me..
plus im not getting what every director sees in the titans/avatar lead.
one bad actor.

mlon

Kuzey
07-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Haha...I still haven't seen it myself :beerchug:

Sam Worthington is becoming the next Christian Bale....totally boring and irrelevant.

Kuzey

*Pete*
07-12-2010, 05:20 AM
the best movie i seen in the last few years, is "the prophet"...a movie about an Arabic guy in a French prison with Portugese mafia and Arabic gangs.

No 3d in it far as i know...but the movie is great.

aurora
07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I thought it was a great IMax 3D experience, very pretty to watch, mind you this was only my second time watching IMax-3D. Story wise, ehhhhh, You pretty much know whats going to happen all the way through after the first few minutes. I just wish there was more of a surprising story line, as said before seen it before just a different theme. But I did enjoy watching it

Shnoze Shmon
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I've never seen a rave review of the plot.

I thought what was outstanding and groundbreaking was the realism of the CG world and characters.

Also, the part that I've noticed everyone talking about as historic benchmark for the movie is the breakthrough in action capture animation.

It's significance is the impact on the CG market, and that's good.

Nicolas Jordan
07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
I still have to watch it sometime when I get a chance.

Dexter2999
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
::Repeating myself::

It isn't that the story was bad. It's just that everything else was pushed to a much higher level. So the story doesn't measure up.

I think the improvements in the facial mocap were pretty impressive. I'd like to see them applied to a photo real human to see how good they really are. Being that they were applied to an alien physiology our brains aren't so picky. Koosh wrote an article in this months HDRI that sums up what I've been saying for years.
I think the artists who worked on it did a stunning piece of work. I think a part of your brain forgets just exactly how much work went into making this world.
I think the 3D wasn't just a gimmick. It was perhaps the best use of 3D to date and maybe for some time. To me, the test is when you watch the same movie in 2D. If a scene or shot fails because it was just a 3D stunt you know. Watching Avatar in 2D I didn't notice any of that.

tribbles
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I've seen it a few times now, at the local cinema, IMAX and I also splashed out on a 1080p projector and screen.

The 3D got annoying after a while, and I've decided that my projector is better quality than even the IMAX, which, the last time I saw it, seemed very blurry, flickery and lacked colour depth.

I suppose they could've messed up their setup though!

crashnburn
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought it on blu-ray, and it is visualy stunning, and like neverko says, a good popcorn film. I think it was too long and drawn out. I would have rather had a shorter punchier film. I like the old 1 hour 45 min rule of thumb that used to be used. Some epics need longer, this didn't.

shrox
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM
....I like the old 1 hour 45 min rule of thumb that used to be used. Some epics need longer, this didn't.

Abso-frakking-lutely, that's an ideal running time for most films.

jasonwestmas
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
The last "WTF this is cool!" experience I had at the cinema was the first Matrix movie. That blew me away on all levels and I left the theater in awe.

Yeah I was talking to a friend of mine and I said exactly the same thing.

I saw District9 a week ago for the first time. Boy was that fun! I thought D9 was definitely up there in that strange action sci-fi kind of sense like the Matrix had.

And it wasn't like these fav movies of mine had an awesome sorry but that the characters were very likable. I didn't quite get into the characters in Avatar, it was harder to care about them or what they were doing in that morality and/or personality sense.

zardoz
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
well this is pocahontas in space.

shrox
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM

You're right! it is!

Dexter2999
07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
If you are going to make a 3 hour movie...there needs to be an intermission.

OlaHaldor
07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
My girlfriend forced me into seeing it with her. She had seen it twice in cinema - 3D and 2D, and one time at home. Her fourth time with me. I wasn't really "omfg this is AWESOME!!!". I expected to be carried away in the story much more than I actually was.

At some point, I didn't give a F.. "It's too long, I'm getting sleepy". I swear, if I hadn't been eating while we watched the movie, I'd be starving again within the movie was done. And that's too long. I can usually go for hours and hours without food because I'm so into whatever creative work I'm doing. I think I even generated a new wrinkle on my forehead by the natural aging process.

The mocap/facial expressions and visuals were impressive though. But it all seemed like an extremely long "in your face, this is my showreel" kind of movie. Nothing I'd buy myself. Unless there's an super duper detailed 'behind the scenes' like in Lord of the Rings extended edition.

shrox
07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I thought Sigourney Weaver's avatar had a rather cartoony lemur head.

But if I had worked on it, I would be letting everyone know...

jasonwestmas
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Yeah the movie still had that toon composite feeling (a slight rogger rabbit kind of feel) about it in some shots. Of course that happens a lot in movies where the characters are fully CG. Granted the final product looks a lot more believable than early shots of Avatar before the movie was released.

biliousfrog
07-14-2010, 03:15 AM

Absolutely, her character was awful, really badly designed...almost as bad as the mechs with hands that can pick up big guns and a knife from a holster, really, what the hell was that all about?

I really hated it. The CG was pretty good for around 1.5hrs, the CG/live action was mostly badly composited with an obvious seperation of the elements and the acting was really, really bad. It would have made a great 15 minute ride at Universal Studios but Mr C should be ashamed of himself for taking 20 odd years to create such an ameteurish, badly scripted, long-winded rehash of various Disney films and Saturday morning cartoons.

Kuzey
07-14-2010, 05:42 AM
almost as bad as the mechs with hands that can pick up big guns and a knife from a holster, really, what the hell was that all about?

That sounds hilarious..haha.

Kuzey

Andyjaggy
07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Hated the mech design.

For the most part I forgot I was watching 3D characters, except when Sigourney Weave'rs character was on screen.

Overall it was an amazing experience in the theater, but not necassarily an amazing movie.

vncnt
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
The mocap/facial expressions and visuals were impressive though. But it all seemed like an extremely long "in your face, this is my showreel" kind of movie. Nothing I'd buy myself. Unless there's an super duper detailed 'behind the scenes' like in Lord of the Rings extended edition.

I bought the BD. Unfortunately no behind the scenes on that one.

In the entire film there were some facial expressions but most of the time facial expressions were almost absent and made these actors look like butch robots.

shrox
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Hands on mechs are good, the human hand is the most versatile tool around. The two droids being built for the space station have hands, and they even look like Boba Fett!

A robot/mech hand can even be a hammer, something a flesh hand cannot do.

http://www.universalrobotics.com/Neocortex.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NOvrR04ya88/STQ2KAmfIOI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/L2CXUvK1p64/s400/bobafett.jpg

Andyjaggy
07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a really like demo reel. I would however compare transformers 2 to a really long demo reel.

biliousfrog
07-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Hands on mechs are good, the human hand is the most versatile tool around. The two droids being built for the space station have hands, and they even look like Boba Fett!

Droids are a bit different, they are generally designed to appear human-like. The mechs are a vehicle, why would they need a gun with a trigger or a holster with a big knife? Vehicles have managed to carry multiple weapons for a very long time without requiring enlarged human-like appendages and scaled versions of hand weapons complete with handles and triggers...why not go a step further and give them little lace-up boots and backpacks to store a toolkit?

...of course it's all moot when you consider that the Avatars can be controlled remotely but vehicles apparently can't.

Shnoze Shmon
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM

http://www.universalrobotics.com/Neocortex.jpg

A little red light moving back and forth would work too.

-EsHrA-
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
"I bought the BD. Unfortunately no behind the scenes on that one."

thats prolly becoz avatar will run again in cinemas and after that another slew of new *cough* BD's and DVD's will be released...

so you have to buy it two times i guess when you want it...

hello marketing!..

mlon

shrox
07-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Why not equip a mech with hands? So what if you don't use them everyday? That's the idea of being prepared, I'll be that there are plenty of situations where dexterity would be very useful. The tanks in Iraq and Afghanistan still have axes on them, how often are they used in the desert? Rarely, but that one time you need it, it's there. Hands on mech would find plenty of uses, give my mech hands, but no cutesy computer voice please...

Weapons should be snap ons, out of the way of the hands though, much like the revisioned Cylons.

jrandom
07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a really like demo reel. I would however compare transformers 2 to a really long demo reel.

A really long blurry demo reel.

Why bother going through all the trouble to create such detailed robots if you're going to place the camera only six feet away from them when they're all moving around at high speed?

erikals
07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
wonder when The Matrix is released in 3D...

erikals
07-14-2010, 05:04 PM

damn, Cameron stole another concept....

Titus
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Or Dance with the wolves.

Dexter2999
07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
http://kuvaton.com/kuvei/pocahontas_avatar.jpg

In case you guys hadn't seen it before.

As for many of the comments here about the CG, facial mocap, and compositing...sounds like sour grapes to me. I saw it in the theater and it was pretty amazing. I have it on Blu-Ray and the transfer is fine. Not like the transfers of Star Wars with bounding boxes around the "ships".

Being critical is one thing. Being hypercritical, just makes me dismiss relevant complaints along with the b.s.

IgnusFast
07-15-2010, 08:33 AM
I dunno, man. I thought Avatar was amazing, and I still do. Granted, I'm a bit of a movie whore, but still.

Now, Transformers 2, on the other hand... What a travesty.

Andyjaggy
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM

I would definately pay to go see that.

JBT27
07-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm curious of the age group that were reporting the pseudo-religious awe experience thing, and all those so desperate to believe in Pandora and go there.

I just thought it was OK - went to the cinema one Saturday afternoon, queued, which was probably the most surprising experience of Avatar for me - haven't queued at the cinema for years - watched it, was entertained(ish) but unmoved, left cinema, went home. End of.

The absolute hit I got from the original 'Star Wars' has never been matched for me, and frankly, I'm not convinced it will be. Different time, different world and culture to a degree, and for the moment, I think it's fairly safe to say that over 30 years on and goodness knows how many movies and TV shows later, we've seen it all before.

Julian.

erikals
07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
we need a new hope...

aurora
07-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm curious of the age group that were reporting the pseudo-religious awe experience thing, and all those so desperate to believe in Pandora and go there.

I just thought it was OK - went to the cinema one Saturday afternoon, queued, which was probably the most surprising experience of Avatar for me - haven't queued at the cinema for years - watched it, was entertained(ish) but unmoved, left cinema, went home. End of.

The absolute hit I got from the original 'Star Wars' has never been matched for me, and frankly, I'm not convinced it will be. Different time, different world and culture to a degree, and for the moment, I think it's fairly safe to say that over 30 years on and goodness knows how many movies and TV shows later, we've seen it all before.

Julian.

When I was a kid it was Tolkein that moved me to near religious experience, in that I often I was walking those ancient forests when hiking, looking for a sign of nearby elves or hobbits. I was extremely exicted to see Star Wars when it opened having read the book that summer before its release. I was among those that saw it numerous times, but it was Middle Earth I still longed for. Well at least till I finally started reading Herberts Dune series.

When Herbert died just after publishing Chapter House I felt shattered knowing he was building into something new and tremendous and I would never know what that was, well for what 20+ years anyways.

The other big one for me was King's Dark Tower. I was one of the few that managed to get and read the first release of The Gunslinger and became enraptured in Roland and his Tower. I followed along with The Drawing of the Three but then never came back into that universe till after book 7, The Dark Tower was finished, what almost 30 years later.

Today my dream world is Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth universe. Finishing 'Faith of the Fallen' later today I find his writting so rich, raw, emotionally powerful that I can't help but fall under its spell longing to be in Richards crusade against Jagang and the Order.

So, at least for me, its not a matter of age that draws me into wanting a world such as Pandora to be real. Its the longing for an escape into a magic realm where the hell of the daily life I create for myself is more magical, more noble.

meshpig
07-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Julian.

Hollywood has a definite use by date for that sort of affect anyway... ie. some people still talk about Orson Wells and Judy Garland as if.

- "2001 a Space Odyssey" for example faded to nothing even before Star Wars and ultimately Kubrick himself and the idea of "Cinema" is almost an anachronism given what you can do with your phone, as it were.

Avatar will probably end up being a kids cartoon. I watched it 3 times back to back and even the salient bits seemed cartoonish. Ah, to be a kid again watching cartoons on Saturday morning!!!:jam:

tribbles
07-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Well, I wouldn't say that I wanted to believe and go there, but I would probably say that I had a some kind of awe over it, which I've never had from any other film.

I find it a bit weird how to describe it, but I did spend a while afterward contemplating it - not from any particular aspect, but a general feel towards the film.

Okay, the story wasn't particularly original, you could see plot events coming a mile off, and the acting wasn't great - but none of that mattered.

I've spoken to a few friends about it - only one of whom had said that he had a similar experience - although with him, it was The Matrix instead, which I never really thought was that good a film - but then again, they're sort-of the same: new CGI techniques, crap acting... Perhaps CGI has subliminal artifacts :)

He's yet to see Avatar though, so I don't know how he'd react to it.

I do remember seeing the original Star Wars, but I was 6 or 7 at the time (which should give you my age :) ), so it's not a memory that stands out.

JBT27
07-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the whole Matrix premise had me thinking alot harder than normal about a movie storyline, and I still have alot of time for that.

'Star Wars' was a real culture shock, artistically and technically - I was 17 when I first saw it, was already into that stuff, but that cemented in my mind what I wanted to do. I came out of the cinema completely stunned and dazed, stomach churning (and not from the ice cream); people analyse even now this whole phenomena.

Even though the two sequels, back then, had their big moments in terms of better than anything before, the hit wasn't the same, not even close, because we were getting acclimatised to that kind of thing becoming the norm.

But actually, in terms of solid near-religious experience, Tolkien does it for me as well - the literary Middle Earth, not Jackson's. I liked those movies alot, and there are sequences which for me at least came close to my sense of Tolkien's written works. I've never really lost that sense of the literary Middle Earth, and seeing the remains of the Iron Age, and Roman and Saxon Britain and so on, as well as the landscapes that inspired Tolkien, that's a hit that goes way beyond a 'simple' movie.

Julian.

rapscallion
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Shouldn't be too much longer. I saw samples of the 3D translation in September of 2009. At that time they were about 50% complete with the translation and expecting to be 100% done within a handful of months. It wasn't a great stereoscopic experience from the small bits I saw - more like TITANS than AVATAR.

Shnoze Shmon
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I do remember seeing the original Star Wars, but I was 6 or 7 at the time (which should give you my age :) ), so it's not a memory that stands out.

I was the same age. I remember my mom telling me we were going to see Star Wars and those words not meaning anything to me. Watching the chase through the Deathstar I wondered if it wasn't my first horror movie because those stormtroopers were scary. I didn't know enough to be amazed by the special effects, it was what was and I loved it.

tribbles
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I was the same age. I remember my mom telling me we were going to see Star Wars and those words not meaning anything to me. Watching the chase through the Deathstar I wondered if it wasn't my first horror movie because those stormtroopers were scary. I didn't know enough to be amazed by the special effects, it was what was and I loved it.

The only thing I really remember about it was the queue into the cinema.

Tron was another film I didn't really get - especially the computer related dialog - until I saw it again in my late teens/early 20s.

lalafilm
07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Does the Blueray have this 3D effect

jrandom
07-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Does the Blueray have this 3D effect

They'd have to make a special disc with the left and right eye frames encoded together, and then you'd need a special television that works with either shutter glasses or polarized light glasses and a special player that can separate the two frames for display that work with the glasses.

I know such televisions/players exist but I don't know how much they cost and I don't know how many 3D movies have been encoded for them.

erikals
07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
...aren't they working on that for the PS3 ?

Dexter2999
07-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I think they said on HDNation (on youtube if you haven't checked it out) that the 3D BluRay was supposed to be out in like September? Might have been August but I could swear they said Sept.

prometheus
07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I probably have to go and see it on a big screen with 3d.
I was only seeing it on a 42 screen and no 3d and no blue ray.
so I probably missed some depth of that, but apart from that I wasnīt
impressed at all, I still enjoy empire strikes back, or james camerons terminator judgement day and aliens much much more.

and the last wow experience I had in movies was the first matrix film and
the lotr series.

Some of the avatar scenes are pretty nice, but I think itīs getting lost
in the way of overdoing the cinematic canvas, just as a painter needs to
be careful not overdoing the painted canvas.

the fighting scenes at the end getīs to over loaded with effects that doesīnt serve a good cinematic composing canvas in my opinion.
And I didnīt like the motion of the characters either.

and the vegetation and backgrounds left me just thinking vue or bryce inspiration most of the time, with a few exceptions, didnīt like those floating islands.

Im not sure have do nail it really, itīs just something about the whole atmosphere or depth of the cg environments that I thought was bad, or at least not getting near any kind of wow factor.

maybe expectations for it was to high, the movie works to look at on occasion some fridays with some popcorn.
but it will not leave any deeper impact in my list of scifi-fantasy adventures.

Strange thou that some female friends of mine are not in to scifi movies, they actually liked this one..duhh.
they mentioned that it was different to others with itīs colorful pallette.

and sure it was colorful, but I think it failed in the colorgrading/color pallette anyway.
Edit..well I forgot to mention the story..nothing really new or wow that made me think experience.

Michael

jasonwestmas
07-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Starwars Episode 4 (The first one they made) was pretty scary to me as a kid. I didn't get to see it in the theater because it was released the year I was born. 1977. I did get to see empire strikes back in the theater, I think I was 4 or 5 years old lol. And I saw E.T. around then too. That was just as scary.:D

erikals
07-25-2010, 08:52 PM
i was born late-76, and remember those two movies to be scary too,
but i was 7-8 years old when i found them scary.
E.T. popping up like that was the worst.

prometheus, you have to see it on a big screen. (imo)
(the chicks digged it cause it's a love story) :]

prometheus
07-25-2010, 10:38 PM
i was born late-76, and remember those two movies to be scary too,
but i was 7-8 years old when i found them scary.
E.T. popping up like that was the worst.

prometheus, you have to see it on a big screen. (imo)
(the chicks digged it cause it's a love story) :]

yeah I believe you have not one, but two points there erikals.

Im a born 65:er, so neither star wars or et scared me, star wars episode
4 was an absolute saga for me thou, I was daydreaming and having fantasies of
space battles a long time after seen it, it was a perfect compose of story saga of evil and good and magic with effects never seen before and cool sounds never heard before and technology, and not least..The fantastic john williams music score.

Does anyone remember the music score of avatar?

Michael

erikals
07-26-2010, 01:00 AM

eh!... :]
LoL

tribbles
07-26-2010, 02:09 AM

eh!... :]
LoL

Err - I do...

erikals
07-26-2010, 02:21 AM
well, i don't think it will go into the history books though...

tribbles
07-26-2010, 02:32 AM
I think you're right though :)

prometheus
07-26-2010, 02:50 AM
The sound atmosphere or music score is extremly important for a film, and
a failing music score degrades a film so much or lifts it to memorable moments.
John williamīs musical scores in close encounters,jaws and starwars and many many more is a testimony to that.

thereīs many more out there such as the creepy ghostly aliens theme of jerry goldsmith, and james horner, and vangelis themes in blade runner.

I loved the music score for the time machine from claus badelt.

I have no recollection of the music score in avatar what so ever sadly, and
Im pretty good to remember sounds and scores.

Michael

erikals
07-26-2010, 02:59 AM
and it can be this simple :]

The Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcvBSRVkUU

prometheus
07-26-2010, 03:08 AM
and it can be this simple :]

The Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcvBSRVkUU

Yeah I loved that one too, it always gives me goose bump only by hearing those simple notes.
I wonder how much john carpenter was involved with that music or if ennio morricone had free hands and worked it out all by himself.

otherwise john carpenter is of course known of doing music scores himself like in escape from new york, together with alan howarth.

michael

erikals
07-26-2010, 03:16 AM
no, this guy did :]
http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0000014RQ

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU

prometheus
07-26-2010, 03:31 AM
no, this guy did :]
http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0000014RQ

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU

yeah I know that, and I mentioned ennio morricone in the previous post, the question was if john had any influence on it or if he was giving some direction since it has a kind of carpenter sound.
alan howarth was involved in sound editing thou.

Michael

erikals
07-26-2010, 04:00 AM
oh, like that,...
could very well be i guess, i wouldn't rule it out.

in quite many cases the directors guides the composers.

octopus2000
07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
i did see avatar last december, i wasn't that impressed with it. the glowing in the dark forest didn't make me feel like i wanted to go there like many of the avatar fanboys. the navi aliens looked really yucky. thank god they are just fantasy, i don't want any of those smurfs near me.

the theme song sounded horrible, they tried to pull off a "my heart will go on" and failed miserably

the best thing about avatar was the helicopters, they look really cool.