PDA

View Full Version : TCXD300 Camera Support

mpetersen68
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi there, my Journalism school is planning on building a small, remote-operated greenscreen studio, built around a TCXD300.

To try to save space, cost and complexity, we're considering using HD security PTZ cameras. Here is an example of the type of device we're looking at: http://www.vaddio.com/product-detail.php?p=268 .

My question is, if a camera has a given resolution, bitrate and codec, how can I work out if that camera is supported by the TriCaster? Is there some sort of "acid test" I can apply to cameras to narrow the field.

For instance, one of the possible camera shoots H.264 at 1920x1080. Compatible/not compatible?

kindest regards

Matthew P
Brisbane, Australia

joseburgos
07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
You would use it's video out which looks like it can do component and SDI with optional cards. Codec usually applies to its internet stream capability, for security cameras or for cameras that have a capture feature. You use only analog and SDI to input to a XD300 (not counting iVGA/LT).

Cabe
07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Jose is spot on you need an actual video camera, that outputs an analogue (or SDI) connection not a networked IP camera designed for viewing in a web browser.

18x lens, Simultaneous Component HD (1080p, 1080i or 720p) and SD outputs

Assuming the spec page is correct that will work, the XD300 is capable of using HD Component (3 wires, YPbPr/YCbCr) at 1080i50. The current crux of the matter is whether it's tiny 1/3" CCD is capable of giving you a clean key off the green screen. But only testing can tell you that.

Assuming the image isn't totally shocking that's a rather nice little camera, I may have to tuck that away for future use.

mpetersen68
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys, appreciated.

Cabe, the sensors in my XLH1 are also 1/3" and I get a reasonable key off that camera. I presume the security model is only one sensor (as opposed to the Canon's 3) so it remains to be seen!

MP

Cabe
07-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Very good point :)

joseburgos
07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Depending on the quality of the image sensor, you may just need to compensate with lighting for a good key.

joseburgos
07-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Jose is spot on you need an actual video camera, that outputs an analogue (or SDI) connection not a networked IP camera designed for viewing in a web browser.

Assuming the spec page is correct that will work, the XD300 is capable of using HD Component (3 wires, YPbPr/YCbCr) at 1080i50. The current crux of the matter is whether it's tiny 1/3" CCD is capable of giving you a clean key off the green screen. But only testing can tell you that.

Assuming the image isn't totally shocking that's a rather nice little camera, I may have to tuck that away for future use.

The specs claim HD-SDI with option board. FYI- This looks a lot like the Sony camera in many ways including the SDI option via a board.

Zane Condren
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
If you are looking for a good PTZ HD Camera take a look at the Sony BRC Z 330 great imaging and super smooth and quiet.

csandy
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
The Sony Zane suggests is a higher quality product. Probably worth the extra $600-700 if build quality is an issue for you. I'm not sure if that model has an SDI option though, but it does do component analog.

Zane Condren
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
They use the same CMOS sensor that the EX1 does and they have an electromagnetic drive system vs gear driven. Which makes them super smooth.

Cabe
07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Sadly the Sony in the UK is about the same price as a Z7 and only about 400 (approx $700) off an EX1R.

When you take into account the price of the controller, I know its not a necessity but I hate using PCs when there is a tool for the job. I might as well hire a glass pointer* for the gig and save myself some grey hairs and take another job off my plate. It also means I can dispatch the Cam Op "off piste" to go collect Estabs/b-roll/whatever.

For the right price I would possibly consider robotic cams, if only to ease the bar tab at the end of a gig :)

*I use this term lovingly!

PIZAZZ
07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I like remote ptz's for the right project. I have found though that if you are in a studio situation with an XD300 or XD850 and using the power of LiveSets, you will very rarely ever need to move the cameras after setup. I would suggest spending the extra money on better cameras. PTZ cameras are going to be more expensive due to the extra parts. Basically if you have 5k to spend then spend it on a regular camera because you will be able to use it in more scenarios

mpetersen68
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys for these excellent replies.

The Sony looks like another terrific camera, though when you add the SDI board, you're looking at a similar cost to the new Panasonic HD-SDI camera (which I'm using as my benchmark as i saw it at NAB and I feel like I know it).

Jef I take your point about not really needing PTZ. As our small studio is going to be entirely student-operated, I need that flexibility of being able to reframe without going to the cameras. Plus, since our studio is an "open" area, the security cameras will be that little more vandal/thief proof. Using centrally controlled cameras (as opposed to camera people) also means a team can put on a show with as few as 3 people: one on-air, one floor managing, and one camera switcher/controller.

kind regards

Matthew P

PIZAZZ
07-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I need that flexibility of being able to reframe without going to the cameras.

Plus, since our studio is an "open" area, the security cameras will be that little more vandal/thief proof. Using centrally controlled cameras (as opposed to camera people) also means a team can put on a show with as few as 3 people: one on-air, one floor managing, and one camera switcher/controller.

kind regards

Matthew P

That is precisely my point. With the XD TriCaster line, you can very easily move the image to the left or right, up or down all without touching the camera or a controller in the PTZ case.

You are going the XD300 or XD850 route right?
Are you going to be doing LiveSets?
If so then you really don't need PTZ cameras. Save your time and money to invest in better cameras.

Doing a shoot with a Tricaster XD and 3 people would be no issue at all.

Another different answer to your question is YES, the Vaddio is a good camera if you have to have the PTZ functionality.