PDA

View Full Version : previously loaded plug-ins 'forgotten'?

3dWannabe
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm using Modeler 9.6 64 on Win7-64.

I have my plug-ins for 32 and 64 bit in separate directories above the folder where Lightwave is installed (so that I can have all 64 and 32 bit plug-ins located in their own global directories shared among 9.6.1 (32 and 64) and 9.6 (32 and 64).

I just loaded a scene in Modeler, and it complained about db&w's DBTools.

If I then find the plug-ins, I can close Modeler - and it will find them the next time I start Modeler.

But, if I re-start the win7 box, it won't be able to find them the next time.

I'm perplexed?

nickdigital
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Something with your ext file is getting eaten. That's the file that contains the path to your plug-ins.

What happens if you specify where this ext file is written and then reboot? Does Win7 still eat it?

3dWannabe
07-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I specify the config directory with -c in my shortcut and can see the lwext9-64-CFG is located there.

Somehow, I think it's due to putting the plug-ins outside of the 'normal' place. I've seen this with both 9.6 and 9.6.1. Doesn't do it every time, but it is annoying. I guess I'll have to report it.

I just tried a restart, and this time they plug-ins didn't get lost.

I've got ECC RAM, ECC on my RAID, very stable box - and there are no other anomalies like loosing the 'recent' menu for loading objects. So - this is strange.

nickdigital
07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Shouldn't matter where your plug-ins are. We store ours on the network.

Do you have "Auto-scan plug-ins" enabled in your options for both Modeler and Layout? You should disable that so you can specify where you want your plug-ins to be pulled in from.

Could be LW voodoo...sometimes my menu configs get eaten for whatever reason. Sometimes with LW I just have to chalk it up to gremlins. 8~

3dWannabe
07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Do you have "Auto-scan plug-ins" enabled in your options for both Modeler and Layout? You should disable that so you can specify where you want your plug-ins to be pulled in from.
8~

Yes, in both cases that was checked. I had added them by hand, and didn't realize that setting was on.

Thanks!

I guess I'll know soon if that had any effect - or if the LW gremlins are still loose.

Salv8or
07-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Ive noticed that some times lw craches whene shutting it down, and sometimes when that happens I get trubble with the cfg files. LW doesnt save the config files until it exits, so as a habbit whene adding a new plugin I do it with a in a blank scene or a frechly started LW, and then restart lw (exit and start it up again) just to be sure that the config has been written correctly.