PDA

View Full Version : SpinQuad - What did you like, what would you like?

aurora
07-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm curious and would like to know, what people used to and/or do currently like about SpinQuad.
What do you dislike, loathe, despise, hate about Spinquad?
What would like to see changed and/or added to SpinQuad?

Please don't hold back from fear of me or someone else being upset by your thoughts. If I/we did not want to hear them I would not have asked!

Note, I/we have no desire to detract from NT and the NT forums at all. SQ has always desired to be a second home for Wavers, to sit back , have fun and enjoy learning from each other. Something that it has lost over the past couple years. Something I desire to resurrect.

cgisoul
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi, first of all, thank you for starting this new thread and asking. Althought only recently I bought LW and joined spinquad, I have known the site for quite some years due to the amount of adv always talking about spinquad site, just not so much anymore though.

Since I only joint rexently, my comments are entirely based as a new user.
The things I do would like to see is a tutorial section of lw and forward thinking of core tutorials of course. A section where users can share techniques and tutorials.
It needs a new website design, color scheme.
An aliance with newtek where both sides can share news while spinquad being a place showing art works like as being shown now.

Latest Industry news. Pretty much for now as i'm typing this from my phone.
Thank you.

KurtF
07-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not a member of Spinquad. I'm looking forward to Core, and hope that it will become my next 3D application (the teasers we've seen so far look good).

I went to the Spinquad site, and my first impression was "Clutter". There are too many things on that home page competing for your attention. I'm not really sure what the focus of the site is, since you've got so many, small font news articles, adds for training classes, notes about Zbrush, Lightwave, etc.

I'd say - simplify and focus. Make it easy to find the front door into the site!

prometheus
07-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Well maybe I should keep my mouth shut about this, but it seems to
me that the decline of posters probably is a case of the current state of
developing core and further development to LW 9.6 was stopped, could be
wrong thou.

I donīt see any big "wrong" issues with spinquad, not bothered with
the commercials really.
I mainly just check the LW news or posts regarding vfx and since the news
seems to have declined and topics regarding vfx, I have tend to not visit
spinquad as often anymore.

Then thereīs a case of me having the job with product renders now wich
gives me less time to fiddle with the little more fun vfx stuff, but I reckon
I will get back to that anytime soon.

suggestions might be..
fill the tutorial sections with spinquad,kurv studios free tutes or links
to other valuable tutes.

A content library for scenes and setups would be nice.

Ive asked the newtek community about a main thread pipeline category,
some didnt like it and some did..mostly afraid of it being to much or cluttered, but I beleive if it is divided properly in sub threads it would be
easy to find stuff more easy than having to search or browsing through
different sub threads not specific for what youre looking for...
anyway newtek didnīt create such a forum topic, so maybe try it out
in spinquad to have something that newtek doesnīt.

Setting up the main folder thread called PIPELINES...and under that
subthreads folders for the most common programs for a starter..
But to narrow it down it probably should be in relation to lightwave.
so..something like this(only PIPELINES will show up amongst the main
forums until you enter that folder.

PIPELINES
Lightwave-maya
Lightwave-3dmax
Lightwave-xsi
Lightwave-cinema 4d
Lightwave-solidworks
Lightwave-vue
Lightwave-terragen
Lightwave-aftereffects
Lightwave-fusion
Lightwave-photoshop
Lightwave-zbrush
Lightwave-3d coat
Lightwave-mudbox
Lightwave-real flow
Lightwave-messias
Lightwave-motionbuilder

Much easier to have it all sorted and archived where things should belong
and for people to find it later on.

Michael

nickdigital
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I have a Spinquad id but I admit I'm rarely on SQ. For me I don't see much need to be on SQ when I'm already on this forum. I think if SQ offered something specific that the Newtek forums didn't offer it would be more appealing (if it does then I must have missed the message). After awhile there's only so much time in the day to be on multiple forums when the content is pretty much the same.

Matt
07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a Spinquad id but I admit I'm rarely on SQ. For me I don't see much need to be on SQ when I'm already on this forum. I think if SQ offered something specific that the Newtek forums didn't offer it would be more appealing (if it does then I must have missed the message). After awhile there's only so much time in the day to be on multiple forums when the content is pretty much the same.

Pretty much the same, that and the attachment limit killed it off for me.

Silkrooster
07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
First of all i want to thank everyone so far for responding. It is your input that helps us create a better place.

Hi, first of all, thank you for starting this new thread and asking. Althought only recently I bought LW and joined spinquad, I have known the site for quite some years due to the amount of adv always talking about spinquad site, just not so much anymore though.

Since I only joint rexently, my comments are entirely based as a new user.
The things I do would like to see is a tutorial section of lw and forward thinking of core tutorials of course. A section where users can share techniques and tutorials.
It needs a new website design, color scheme.
An aliance with newtek where both sides can share news while spinquad being a place showing art works like as being shown now.

Latest Industry news. Pretty much for now as i'm typing this from my phone.
Thank you.

There is a place for tutorials and news, but I do have to admit that it can be hard to find especially for new users. We will be working on this.

Well maybe I should keep my mouth shut about this, but it seems to
me that the decline of posters probably is a case of the current state of
developing core and further development to LW 9.6 was stopped, could be
wrong thou.

I donīt see any big "wrong" issues with spinquad, not bothered with
the commercials really.
I mainly just check the LW news or posts regarding vfx and since the news
seems to have declined and topics regarding vfx, I have tend to not visit
spinquad as often anymore.

Then thereīs a case of me having the job with product renders now wich
gives me less time to fiddle with the little more fun vfx stuff, but I reckon
I will get back to that anytime soon.

suggestions might be..
fill the tutorial sections with spinquad,kurv studios free tutes or links
to other valuable tutes.

A content library for scenes and setups would be nice.

Ive asked the newtek community about a main thread pipeline category,
some didnt like it and some did..mostly afraid of it being to much or cluttered, but I beleive if it is divided properly in sub threads it would be
easy to find stuff more easy than having to search or browsing through
different sub threads not specific for what youre looking for...
anyway newtek didnīt create such a forum topic, so maybe try it out
in spinquad to have something that newtek doesnīt.

Setting up the main folder thread called PIPELINES...and under that
subthreads folders for the most common programs for a starter..
But to narrow it down it probably should be in relation to lightwave.
so..something like this(only PIPELINES will show up amongst the main
forums until you enter that folder.

PIPELINES
Lightwave-maya
Lightwave-3dmax
Lightwave-xsi
Lightwave-cinema 4d
Lightwave-solidworks
Lightwave-vue
Lightwave-terragen
Lightwave-aftereffects
Lightwave-fusion
Lightwave-photoshop
Lightwave-zbrush
Lightwave-3d coat
Lightwave-mudbox
Lightwave-real flow
Lightwave-messias
Lightwave-motionbuilder

Much easier to have it all sorted and archived where things should belong
and for people to find it later on.

Michael

I like some of your ideas, we will be talking about this and see what happens. No promises now...

If we could just think of something to offer that newtek does not, hmm...

Pretty much the same, that and the attachment limit killed it off for me.

Sorry about the limit, if you recall awhile back Kurv had an issue with too many using up the drive. I personally think this may have effected more members that we admit to. Send a pm about this and it can be discussed more if you wish.

I'm not a member of Spinquad. I'm looking forward to Core, and hope that it will become my next 3D application (the teasers we've seen so far look good).

I went to the Spinquad site, and my first impression was "Clutter". There are too many things on that home page competing for your attention. I'm not really sure what the focus of the site is, since you've got so many, small font news articles, adds for training classes, notes about Zbrush, Lightwave, etc.

I'd say - simplify and focus. Make it easy to find the front door into the site!

We will see what can be done. I kind of hate that answer as it does not really tell you anything. I can only discuss it in the background, some features like the front page are kind of out of my hands.

I apologize for being vague on some of these answers, but I will be talking about the points made above and those coming. It is important to the Spinquad team, to make the site something that you all can be proud of.

Dexter2999
07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
There used to be more contests with give aways.
I think those generated some interest.
Perhaps now that KURV has so much training available as downloads that could be encouraged again?

And I have an idea for a contest, Create a video of your best LW Tip/Technique and post it on VFXcast and link it into the post at Kurv.

What would it take to incorperate a live chat channel in the site? I'm not talking voice chat, just run of the mill text. A place for live interaction with other users would be nice...maybe.

There is a place for tutorials and news, but I do have to admit that it can be hard to find especially for new users. We will be working on this.

Well that one lonely tutorial on Translight method has been the only thing on the Tutorial page for the last...ever.

The front page needs updating. The last movie review is from last year. Under "News" there is a listing for MULE 1.5...is from 2007 and the product is discontinued.

Been a while since there was an artist interview. Maybe set up a "Spotlight" questionair that you get filled in by artists who get their work featured. Just a quick 10 questions, like inspiration, training, other interests...

Just some stuff off the top of my head.

nickdigital
07-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Well that one lonely tutorial on Translight method has been the only thing on the Tutorial page for the last...ever.

The front page needs updating. The last movie review is from last year. Under "News" there is a listing for MULE 1.5...is from 2007 and the product is discontinued.

Stuff like that definitely doesn't help. The site feels like a blog that never gets updated.

Also the Job link doesn't look to go anywhere. When I was looking to add a person to our group I considered posting on SQ, but since that link doesn't go anywhere I opted to look at other options.

Danner
07-12-2010, 05:29 AM

Actually that is why I used to go lurk in spinquad everyday. There were less noobs and more pros. Now that I enjoy helping noobs I don't mind it here so much. (altho some do get on my nerves when they want EVERYTHING handed to them)

lardbros
07-12-2010, 05:35 AM
I used to go to SpinQuad more than the Newtek forums a few years back, just because there was more of a 3d buzz (ha, sorry... couldn't resist) about the place.

The single thing that killed it for me, was the loading times of the pages... always thought it was my internet connection, but it just got slower and slower... so I stopped going, especially when i got errors telling me that I'd have to wait because too many people were on the site or something along those lines.

The same thing happened over on CG Talk, and it drove me away... I like the way Newtek forums are like Google... quick to load, and simple!

Kuzey
07-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I like the idea of a content library, I wish preset central had the same....I don't want to render the standard scenes(takes too long) and just upload the object with surfaces attached.

Anyway...the good thing about SQ, is that there are artwork that isn't posted here and made in other 3d packages as well.

Kuzey

aurora
07-12-2010, 08:09 AM
As Silk said, thank you all, so far, for the comments you have made. A couple quick comments.

I/we are asking about this because like you, there are only a few spare seconds a day and you have to hit the things you can that give you the most bang for the time. If there are issues you have, we need to fix them. If there are things you want we need to look at getting them else its just a never ending blog.

Speaking of never updated blogs, such as the movie reviews, that issue would be all my fault. Last year I saw 2 movies one of course was Avatar, the other Angels and Demons. This year I'm sitting at a big 0 movie wise. Although if the gods tolerate me at all I plan on seeing Inception and maybe, just maybe Despicable Me. Its that dang time, and money, thing.

Please keep telling us your issues and desires, we truly are listening!!!

GregMalick
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I would like to see an organized place for LScripts & plugins that authors could offer what they've written. Not just a forum that gets cluttered with threads that ask question about scripts & plugins - but an organized simple list (maybe search-able). I asked for this over a year ago and was told it was being worked on.

This is purely out of self interest. I lost my website a couple years ago, and not be a web designer I never recreated one (nor would spend the money to have one created).

Actually NewTek ought to do the same thing. It's in their best interests not to rely on 3rd party sites for valuable plugins & scripts. All that's need is a disclaimer for them to be off the liability hook.

jasonwestmas
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
SQ doesn't feel organized, it feels rather campy which is fine if the place offered something that I don't get on these forums. Just doesn't appear to go beyond any other forum. I tend just to hang out in the "native company" forums anyway because of the "official" and unofficial news, that's enough for me.

Maybe if the forums got more technical in their discussions and balanced that with the obvious creativity that is over there, it might be more appealing.

Silkrooster
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Most of the tutorials are located on the forum.

*Pete*
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
id like to see a weekly/monthly advanced competion....much like those at cgtalk.com.
I know we have the 1 hour thingy here, but id like to see a more, mmmm...advanced competion.

For example....if archviz, then its from blueprints into a finished, photoshopped product of a quality that you could add in a portfolio.

The same for themes....3 ogres turned into stone by the sun, for example....and here also the goal is not to be fast, but to turn the idea into an image you could sell as a poster or a cover for a book.

Id like to see reviews for plugins, and links for getting them....the same for surfaces, sites with textures and so on.

Perhaps a monthly interview with companies or people who are using LW.

I always liked Spinquad....but i rarely visited the site....but i did it regulary when you had the starwars style interceptor thingy competition...

archijam
07-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Aurora - appreciate the effort you always put in.

SQ has always been a great 2nd site for LW.

I think it could benefit from doing things differently than the NT site, it even looks almost identical.

Focus on strengths, be difference (ie. complimentary) to the NT site.

Strengths to be built upon:

- A 'PROPER' gallery, showcasing artists, as well as individual work. More akin to the way the luxology (or cgtalk stc.) spotlight work. I have wished NT would do this better - artists will frequent and use the site if they feel they can self promote and that they are surrounded by excellent work and artists.

- Competitions, as pete mentioned - here the theme is the important aspect, in order to attract people specifically to the site to join. Perhaps several awards - best overal, best texturing+lighting, best modelling, would avoid some of the anticlimactical and controversial issues of the past.

- In the same way that the NT forums can be way to harsh, I find the SQ forums sometimes WAY too nice. Constructive criticism could really be fostered.

- The SQ awards could be taken a step further - perhaps a wall of fame? Easy navigation of work?

My advice - look at some of the other forums, for C4D, MAX etc - and look at other things or resources, or just ways of getting new info out, which the NT forums don't do.
Then do it :)

*hint* - go to Evermotion.org. This is the kind of 'unofficial' 3D service you could really emulate (without so much advertising) :thumbsup:

erikals
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
zip attachment limit sucks
the vfx area was cool, but has been quiet the last 1-2 years
the industry news section is ok, check it every now and then
whenever i see some modo stuff i close it, not interested atm
and lastly why go to SQ when i can surf here?
like archijam sort of said > be different.

Intuition
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I hate to beat this dead horse but.... I love how Spin Quad has a Top Row. ;)

archijam
07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Another thought .. make a mobile version of the site :thumbsup:

I would browse it more while underway, the NT forums are a PITA on an iphone ... ;)

Bill Carey
07-14-2010, 03:25 AM
With the apparent demise of flay, one thing you might consider is concentrating on being THE place to go for 3rd party plugins information. That used to be a regular stop, now it's a hole that needs filling and something that the newtek forums, understandably, aren't likely to concentrate on.

prometheus
07-14-2010, 05:11 AM
An open lightwave core forum perhaps? thatīs something even newtek donīt have:)
Expose the core with all itīs features and goodies, that would be an appetizer for everyone..I mean Everyone!
No need for a membership diaper wich prevents stuff from coming out, and wich also prevents from walking straight:)

Nahh ..take the above mentioned with a grind of salt and with a little sarcastic humour,even thou there might be some feelings of truth behind it.

some threads could probably be removed or changed and some other added to fill in
topics not covered by Newtek for the moment.

I was suggesting PIPELINES and CONTENT LIBRARY, But I can
think of some more such as a REFERENCE MATERIALS...where links to
textures,blue prints, anatomy reference etc can be found., perhaps even a MOCAP RESOURCE

If a post would be regarding anything related to those threads mentioned above, it would
today probably be posted in general discussions or lightwave community, wich is also
cluttered with other stuff than that.

havenīt we seen posts everywhere where people ask for a certain scenefile or someone is
posting a link to textures or blue prints on different threads, itī would be so much easier
if the threads are structured in such a way that follows how people are posting and browsing topics.

The generall Idea is to try and organize post in to where they belong more accuratly to make
it easier to locate and browse throu and post.(put things where they belong)
Thereīs of course an immence stream of topics and postīs so of course everything canīt be
narrowed down.

People needs to be lured to the site much more, and Free tutorials or content is one way.
free webinars previously showcased should be up there for easy finding.

And as other has mentioned, it needs to have upload limits on par
with Newtek..otherwise Im pretty sure it will loose visitors.

The amount of reported malwares on the site is worrying me too.

Michael

lardbros
07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
With the apparent demise of flay, one thing you might consider is concentrating on being THE place to go for 3rd party plugins information. That used to be a regular stop, now it's a hole that needs filling and something that the newtek forums, understandably, aren't likely to concentrate on.

Has flay really gone the way of the dodo has it? Surely not?!? Has anyone heard this officially? :(

Danner
07-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Flay is not as frequently updated as it used to, but it still works.

Andyjaggy
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I stopped going there because there just didn't seem to be a lot of activity........ kind of a double edged sword I know. Bring back some competitions and you might get my interest again. Or are there still competitions going....... I don't know.

Bill Carey
07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Has flay really gone the way of the dodo has it? Surely not?!? Has anyone heard this officially? :(

Nothing official that I've heard. The last updates were in May. Even some nice plugins like circlify and quadpanels haven't prompted an update.

jameswillmott
07-14-2010, 09:46 AM
I emailed Flay nearly a month ago re: QuadPanels, no response obviously.

erikals
07-14-2010, 11:08 AM
he gathers a bunch of plugins before posting, so it can take a while.
it's too early to say, honestly though i'm surprised it has lasted this long.
doubt he makes much money on it.

Dexter2999
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I remember when Flay had a forum. Used to go there daily. Now maybe once a month.

But the Jobs section still seems to be updated.

Silk- I know there tutorials in the forums. My point is they aren't in the section that is allocated for them. Your reply to me is tantamount to saying "They aren't where they should be. They are where they are." Which is where members have access and can post them. I am fine with them being in the forums. But if that is the accepted location, then get rid of the dedicated location that isn't used.

Similarly, the jobs section seems to have been broken for about a year? It should be fixed or deleted.

Here is an idea to maybe increase traffic. Instead of having to win a challenge to win a tutorial download...what if every day you visit the site it counts towards a drawing. And one download is given away each month? Just throwing it out there. That way even people with relatively meager LW skills (like me) still have a shot at winning and it motivates more hits.

I still think a live chat option would increase traffic on a daily basis. I'm not sure how difficult that is because I know squat about web design. But even the local morning radio show has a chat window for their show on their web page.

I am sorely tempted to do a mock up for a front page. Hey!, maybe that could be a contest as well?

I'm not keen on changing the actual forum though. Forums to me are like a place that you get used to. You know where things are and what to expect. You "comfortable" there. If things get swapped around too much and I can't find what I want or I don't like the color scheme and can't change it...I won't go back. I'm still using the old scheme here on the Newtek page. If that option weren't there, I doubt I would stop in unless I had a specific issue I was trying to solve.

Silkrooster
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I am seeing a few neat ideas. I appreciate all the feedback.