PDA

View Full Version : great terrains w/o vue

Soth
07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi,
I am working on game project and I need to create few very good quality terrains that will be rendered.

The problem that I have is I have absolutely no idea how to do it not using Vue, I mean, how to create sand, roads, patches of grass, atmosphere, clouds etc. and make everything to look realistic or close to realistic.

I am not interested in Vue because of three reasons, (1) the price, to buy licence for my pc and the farm that I have I would have to spend about 1500, that is crazy, I can buy few xFrog sets of models and I will have all kinds of vegetation covered for as little as $399, (2) reason is rendering speed and (3) one is that I am not really keen to learn new program and interface, I still think that will be easer for me to learn how to do it in LightWave.

Can you guys point me to some tutorials how to make good looking terrain and texture it realistically? Is there maybe a set of god and realistic procedural textures for LightWave that I can just buy?

Markc
07-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Have you seen Sumatra, its not 'Vue' but it looks very good, comes with trees, plants, rocks etc (only 68 euros)
http://www.svenart.de/sumatra_about.htm

dballesg
07-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi,
I am working on game project and I need to create few very good quality terrains that will be rendered.

The problem that I have is I have absolutely no idea how to do it not using Vue, I mean, how to create sand, roads, patches of grass, atmosphere, clouds etc. and make everything to look realistic or close to realistic.

I am not interested in Vue because of three reasons, (1) the price, to buy licence for my pc and the farm that I have I would have to spend about 1500, that is crazy, I can buy few xFrog sets of models and I will have all kinds of vegetation covered for as little as $399, (2) reason is rendering speed and (3) one is that I am not really keen to learn new program and interface, I still think that will be easer for me to learn how to do it in LightWave.

Can you guys point me to some tutorials how to make good looking terrain and texture it realistically? Is there maybe a set of god and realistic procedural textures for LightWave that I can just buy?

A very inexpensive program that generates terrains as heightfield maps is GeoControl.

Problem is the updates are quite sparse on time, and it's quite slow with certain filters. But there is a demo available, and the road tool is really what the doctor recommended to generate roads on terrains! :)

GeoControl (http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm)

David

Danner
07-11-2010, 09:29 AM
for grass this is an interesting technique
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100274&highlight=grass

Paul24
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
A very inexpensive program that generates terrains as heightfield maps is GeoControl.
David

Hi David,

Can GeoControl export to lwo or lws? I've checked on the forum but could'nt find the answer.
I know it can export to obj but without UV maps.

Thanks in advance

dballesg
07-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi David,

Can GeoControl export to lwo or lws? I've checked on the forum but could'nt find the answer.
I know it can export to obj but without UV maps.

Thanks in advance

No it can't.

But the obj import just fine on Modeler. Had a look to the screen-shot I attached. That is a 1024x1024 poly grid exported from GE2, and loaded back in modeler.

But for a terrain, it's very easy to do a grid in modeler, assign your UV's there, and then use the images exported from GE2 as a displacement map.
If you want then convert it to a freeze object, you can always use Save Transformed from Layout if your grid is dense enough.

David

Paul24
07-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks so much David.
I will try le demo first.
Cheers:thumbsup:

3dworks
07-12-2010, 05:02 AM
many of those tutorials are offline now, but in any case, this is the best link collection for landscapes tutorials with LW i know of:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/landscapes.htm

if you need the famous 'Landscapes and Lightwave' tut by joe riddle, message me privately, i still have a copy of that one...

markus

Soth
07-14-2010, 03:28 AM
thx for all answers everybody!