PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance for 64-bit Mac?

jrandom
07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I e-mailed the makers of HD Instance if they were planning on releasing a 64-bit version of their plug-in for Mac (I'm working on switching over to Lightwave HC) and never heard back from them.

Anyone know if they're planning on doing this anytime soon? I'm not sure I want to purchase it if I'm going to be stuck with the 32-bit version.

littlewaves
07-11-2010, 02:26 AM
I'd also be interested in the answer to this.

I'm not overly hopeful though. As Core has instancing build in (at least I think it does?) I guess the guys who make HD instance aren't too bothered about investing time in updates

3dworks
07-11-2010, 03:28 AM
i sent a mail to graham some weeks ago and got a "We're planning this, for sure. I'll see if I can bump it up on my "to do" list." as answer ;)

so, we will probably see it, but when is the question.

@jrandom: did you try kray yet? it has very powerful instancing in 64 bit mode on mac right now...

jrandom
07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
@jrandom: did you try kray yet? it has very powerful instancing in 64 bit mode on mac right now...

I was playing around with the demo but it's a little crashy in Lightwave HC. (I also couldn't figure out how to turn it off once activated so I wasn't able to do back-and-forth compares between the LW native renderer and KRay).

CaptainMarlowe
07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
i sent a mail to graham some weeks ago and got a "We're planning this, for sure. I'll see if I can bump it up on my "to do" list." as answer ;)

so, we will probably see it, but when is the question.

I don't know wether this answer is good or not. I'd like to use HDI in 64-bits not too far from now...
On the other hand, I'm not eager to buy another rendering solution for instancing like KRay, (and I might be wrong since I didn't mess with KRay too much, but it seems to me that HDI is more flexible for instances placement), but if Happy Digital doesn't update HDI for 64 bits, since it's the only plug-in preventing me from using 64 bits 9.6.1 daily, I'll certainly have to consider switching to KRay.
Now, since Core doesn't seem to me to be a near-future viable solution (I mean since Core won't replace entirely Layout until some years), I'd bet HD could find quite some customers for a 64bits version of HD Instance.

jrandom
07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't know wether this answer is good or not. I'd like to use HDI in 64-bits not too far from now...
On the other hand, I'm not eager to buy another rendering solution for instancing like KRay, (and I might be wrong since I didn't mess with KRay too much, but it seems to me that HDI is more flexible for instances placement), but if Happy Digital doesn't update HDI for 64 bits, since it's the only plug-in preventing me from using 64 bits 9.6.1 daily, I'll certainly have to consider switching to KRay.
Now, since Core doesn't seem to me to be a near-future viable solution (I mean since Core won't replace entirely Layout until some years), I'd bet HD could find quite some customers for a 64bits version of HD Instance.

I'm in full agreement here. I'm finally getting a good grip on how to use Lightwave's native renderer efficiently and am not ready to learn another renderer yet. If HDI had a 64-bit version I would purchase it immediately.

CaptainMarlowe
07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Now, even in 32-bits, HDI is incredibly efficient and cool... I don't even want to think of a scene like this without HD Instance ;)

jrandom
07-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Now, even in 32-bits, HDI is incredibly efficient and cool... I don't even want to think of a scene like this without HD Instance ;)

Exactly! If it was just LW 9.6 I would have purchased it already but I'm making the leap to Lightwave HC so I need all my plug-ins to be 64-bit compatible.