PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance Problem

jnddepew
07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been having a problem with HD Instance 2. As you can see in the photograph, all my instances are darker than they are supposed to be. The original is in the middle below the glowing fishy thing.
Has anyone had this problem before?

lightmann
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
version?

jnddepew
07-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Lightwave version 9.6

JBT27
07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Are you using fog of any kind?

Julian.

JBT27
07-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Just thought ..... you haven't indavertently clicked Render Shadows Only have you, or whatever the setting is actually called?

Can you post the scene file?

Julian.

jnddepew
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I am using fog, but when i turn it off I still have the same problem.

JBT27
07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, I found that Realistic Fog does not play well with HD Instance - so if you happen to be using that, maybe switch to one of the older methods.

I have to say it doesn't really look like that issue, but you have to try anything and everything :)

Julian.

geo_n
07-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Are you using transpsrency, refraction index in you surface. Ladt time I used hdi on a jelly character hdi rendered instance darker. I hid the original mesh so they all look the same.

nickdigital
07-10-2010, 01:02 PM
What if you swap out your HDInstance object with a generic object with the default surface? This way you can trouble shoot if its your object or HDI.

jnddepew
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Megalodon, this seems to work, I thought I had already ruled out radiosity as the problem but apparently not. Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

Roadwarrior
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Off the subject by HDI Related,
How about Stop & hold on the motions for .hdm Bakeouts.
Or even a motion timeline like motion mixer to blend .hdm's

Anyone find they need this feature?

JBT27
07-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Glad that worked - same thing happened to me, that's why I thought of it. :)

Graham should put that and other common issues in a revised FAQ section of the HDI manual. It would save all of us a load of pain.

:agree:

I think it also needs to be in some detail though, including possible workarounds using morwe regular approaches ..... that's not a great ad for HDI until he fixes these things, but it is honest and helpful.

The super-long LWSN render time issues that some come across sometimes (that's a nasty one!), this one here, and the HDM baking issues that I have also come across time after time. The docs are woefully inadequate on that.

Julian.

JBT27
07-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Off the subject by HDI Related,
How about Stop & hold on the motions for .hdm Bakeouts.
Or even a motion timeline like motion mixer to blend .hdm's

Anyone find they need this feature?

I think this is one of those ideas that needs to be implemented for those times that people do need it.

The problem with asking if anyone needs these things is that up until now, they may not have done, but it's such a good idea that sooner or later, someone will.

A bit like the discussion thread started by Viktor on ideas for the future of LWCAD's toolset. Some people say they never use so and so, but suddenly one guy pipes up and says we use that all the time, please don't remove it.

Same with HDI and its HDM format. It's great as is, but could be greater still.

Julian.

JBT27
07-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I just remembered as well - have a look at this thread that I started two or three weeks back:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110029

The seed number used by HD, and set by the user, changes when you render with LWSN. That 'flying' tree caused me alot of trouble and wasted time.

People need to be aware of the lottery that you enter when using HDI.

Julian.