PDA

View Full Version : can I upgrade 2 computers ?

rednova
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Dear Friends:

I recently bought legit lw 9.x upgrade, and upgraded my computer -lw 8 -
to lightwave 9.6
It works good.
I have a second computer, with lw 5.6 -legit too- and dongle, and wanna know if I can also upgrade the second computer to lw 9.6, using the same upgrade cd, and provided I include the serial number of second dongle.
Is this possible ?
Please help me !!!

Rednova

geothefaust
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah you should be able to do that, if I'm understanding you correctly. You actually don't need the CD, you can download the most recent version right off the web and install it, and then use your various serial numbers + dongles on your machines. You can also edit the license file to include both of your serial numbers so that you can use the dongles on either machine so that you don't need to worry about which dongle goes to which computer.

nickdigital
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah you should be able to do that, if I'm understanding you correctly. You actually don't need the CD, you can download the most recent version right off the web and install it, and then use your various serial numbers + dongles on your machines. You can also edit the license file to include both of your serial numbers so that you can use the dongles on either machine so that you don't need to worry about which dongle goes to which computer.

What's also helpful is including the dongle id inside the license file. This way you know which serial # goes with which dongle. I've even gone as far as tying paper notes to dongles with their dongle id written down.

This is helpful when you have 3rd party plug-ins tied to certain dongles.

archijam
07-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Perhaps your dongle might just be too old for current LW.

wrench
07-08-2010, 03:30 PM
You can certainly install LightWave 9.6 on the second computer, but you won't be able to register a second licence of LightWave 9.6 without buying it. You don't have a second serial number to get a different license.key for the other licence.

B

ToMar
07-10-2010, 10:26 AM
You don't actually upgrade your LightWave. No One does.

You're upgrading your License. Your right to run a single copy of LightWave on one machine at a time.

So you can:

Install LightWave on as many machines as you desire.

Intall it into different directories. especially if you like to keep the old versions. As many users do now with LW 9.2, 9.6, 9.6.1 beta and HC.

But run it (without discovery mode) only on the Machine wich has the dongle plugged in (and the correct sentinel drivers installed. As Aura 2 will not run with the current sentinel driver version)