PDA

View Full Version : 5 WEEK wait for dongle swap

garyh
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I've been waiting three weeks now and have just been informed that it's going to be another two weeks before Newtek can send me a dongle.

Is this a record?

OnlineRender
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I've been waiting three weeks now and have just been informed that it's going to be another two weeks before Newtek can send me a dongle.

Is this a record?

Dont know dude! , but what I do know is ,you just broke a personal post record :rock:

I gather your piss'ed off .
--
Edit
--

5 weeks is a bit extreme ! but 28 days is standard for most postage ! but if you need it , and it slows your work down / cash flow , I would be kicking some @$$

hrgiger
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Can't believe it would take that long. I had to swap dongles once and they let me keep mine until they sent the new one. Only took them a week or two to send it from what I remember.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel though. CORE may not use the dongle. I'd like to see them use a similar licensing scheme as Modo.

JeffrySG
07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Isn't FedEx an option??? A few days at the most pretty much anywhere in the world, right???

I guessing they just don't have any to send you? not even a loaner? maybe crack open a new box???

Nicolas Jordan
07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I didn't have to wait long when I sent my parallel port dongle in to exchange it for a USB one. There must be a reason that it is taking that long.

archijam
07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Where are you?

Mine came in a few days (europe).

The hold-up may also be at the manufacturer, SafeNet ...

erikals
07-08-2010, 09:06 AM
call support, they're always helpful.

geothefaust
07-08-2010, 09:07 AM
call support, they're always helpful.

That's what I would do. 5 weeks is unacceptable. I'm guessing it has something to do with your geographic location?

wrench
07-08-2010, 03:27 PM
But just as a pedantic point, a record is actually a round disc (usually black) with a groove carved in a spiral around it, and a hole in the middle for situating on a record player - you young folk with your MP3s probably don't know about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco

B

OnlineRender
07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm guessing it has something to do with your geographic location?

what the moon ? :)

garyh
07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Can't believe it would take that long. I had to swap dongles once and they let me keep mine until they sent the new one. Only took them a week or two to send it from what I remember.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel though. CORE may not use the dongle. I'd like to see them use a similar licensing scheme as Modo.

They let me keep mine too. However, the thing that precipitated the dongle swap was the death of my old machine. I got a new machine. New machines don't have parallel ports. The parallel dongle they're letting me hold is useless to me.

garyh
07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Where are you?

Mine came in a few days (europe).

The hold-up may also be at the manufacturer, SafeNet ...

I'm in Michigan. And you're right, the hold-up is at the manufacturer. They're on backorder.

garyh
07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I guessing they just don't have any to send you? not even a loaner? maybe crack open a new box???

That's what I've been thinking all along. Can't they open a new box?

OnlineRender
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
/\ possible but they probably dont have that many copies laying about . . and the box maybe tied to the product . .

I wish they would do away with the dongle , pointless . . .

zapper1998
07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
parallel to usb adapter... And It works fine...
I use an old Parallel dongle using that..
And My second seat is a USB Dongle

JBT27
07-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Further proof that the dongles days must be numbered - the horror of a dongle going down and this happening when your business relies on it .....

Julian.

Lightwolf
07-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Further proof that the dongles days must be numbered - the horror of a dongle going down and this happening when your business relies on it .....

Considering that I had to deal for more than 8 weeks with Adobe because I forgot to de-activate the license before re-installing the OS - maybe not ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cgisoul
07-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Well, I'm on my 5th week waiting for newtek to send me the dongle, since I paid for the new licens
e. The reseller in Hong Kong said there's nothing they can do as even in japan is out of stock. Basically the whole Asia is waiting for the manufacturer to ship out the dongles.

The good news is that few days ago, they sent me an email letting know the shipment will arrive in 2 weeks time. Never the less, Newtek customer service was brilliant, they have always kept me in the loop.

After reading all your issues, I do hope that core won't be needing any dongles to work............ It's really no fun to wait for another 7 weeks..... though, even without the dongle They gave me access to core and after installing it, I got a warning message saying that it couln't find the hardware attachment..... In other words, no dongle, no core.............. I really hope that once core is out, it won't need the dongle.

JBT27
07-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Considering that I had to deal for more than 8 weeks with Adobe because I forgot to de-activate the license before re-installing the OS - maybe not ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Oh great - more fuel for my paranoia :D

Julian.

Elmar Moelzer
07-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Well, what about the horrors of a machine dying with a machine bound software license (Adobe, Autodesk) on it?
Normally a dongle swap does not take that long and normally dongles are quite convenient. I am really glad that I can swap my dongle between machines. It makes my business a lot more affordable that way.

JBT27
07-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Well, what about the horrors of a machine dying with a machine bound software license (Adobe, Autodesk) on it?
Normally a dongle swap does not take that long and normally dongles are quite convenient. I am really glad that I can swap my dongle between machines. It makes my business a lot more affordable that way.

Well, true, but the activate-deactivate-reactivate licensing schemes, providing they actually work, are still a better idea. The fact that those systems are automated and available 24/7 (also provided your web access doesn't go down as well) is still a better notion than having the software locked to any kind of hardware.

BNR, for instance, is locked to a network card - on one occasion I was troubleshooting over a period of a fortnight, and had to keep emailing Paul to ask for a new code because I'd swapped out the network card again - he was fine with it, but I suppose some of the corporates, like Adobe and AD, might take a very dim view of that.

There probably isn't a good answer for this, though on balance, dongles are perhaps quite a good way, despite my earlier thoughts. If there's infrastructure in place to make sure no-one is down for more than a day or two, then fine. But then if it goes down on top of a major holiday, and you need to work, well, you're stuffed. Hence my liking more the online licensing thing.

Julian.

Elmar Moelzer
07-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, true, but the activate-deactivate-reactivate licensing schemes, providing they actually work, are still a better idea.
Uhm they are locked to your hardware too. Only that they are locked to your computer- parts (IDs), or your harddrive ID. If the part dies before you deactivated the licensing, you are out of luck.
Also, with the dongle I can easily port my license from one computer to another. I just have to bring the dongle with me. I can do that even without internet access.
You may also not know this, but you can minimize LW, unplug the dongle, the plug it into another computer and launch LW on that one too. As long as LW is minimized, it should work just fine (e.g. calculating dynamics, or rendering a video). Very practical also.
VoluMedic development would be completely inpractical with any other licensing scheme than the dongle. It allows us to test on a large variety of machines (even borrowed ones), without a lot of actual licenses.
It would be a real huge pain to do that when you have to license and unlicense every time you want to test on another computer.

but I suppose some of the corporates, like Adobe and AD, might take a very dim view of that
I am sure they do. They sometimes ask you to send in the broken network card. Bad luck if you have more than one software license tied to it. Then you have a lot of people that you have to saw that thing into pieces, or accept loosing your license (under some circumstances).

Lightwolf
07-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, true, but the activate-deactivate-reactivate licensing schemes, providing they actually work, are still a better idea.
No, they're not. :D
Seriously, the only software base scheme that is actually a good idea is the one by luxology.

Anything else isn't.

Cheers,
Mike

cgisoul
07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Seriously, the only software base scheme that is actually a good idea is the one by luxology.

Anything else isn't.

Cheers,
Mike

Yes, I have to agree on this. Luxology does have the best activation / license system / scheme, and I did like the way where your software is tied to your forum user name. Though, just the $100 transfer license fee sucked.

Elmar Moelzer
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Hmm, didnt Lux change it, so that you can use a single license only once within a network?
I can use a single license multiple times with LW, even within a network. I just have to minimize the app before moving the dongle. As long as I dont enlarge it again, it keeps rendering in the bg (or whatever it is doing).
Very useful!

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Hmm, didnt Lux change it, so that you can use a single license only once within a network?
I can use a single license multiple times with LW, even within a network. I just have to minimize the app before moving the dongle. As long as I dont enlarge it again, it keeps rendering in the bg (or whatever it is doing).
Very useful!
Yup, but you are violating the license in that case.
On the plus side, you can use the lux license on another machine that's not on the same network.

Cheers,
Mike

Elmar Moelzer
07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Yup, but you are violating the license in that case.
Uhm, no unless I am operating it, right?
Anyway, it is possible and NT is not doing anything to prevent it. I dont think it is an issue. I dont have a problem with VoluMedic users doing the same. I actually use it for a good sales argument that this is possible.

On the plus side, you can use the lux license on another machine that's not on the same network.
So can I with LW, with the method described above.

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Uhm, no unless I am operating it, right?
Anyway, it is possible and NT is not doing anything to prevent it. I dont think it is an issue. I dont have a problem with VoluMedic users doing the same. I actually use it for a good sales argument that this is possible.
Well, I wouldn't point at a way to violate the licensing agreement as an advantage when it comes to discuss licensing systems ;)

Basically it's not that far off from saying: "Oh, software based licensing is fine, after all, it's easy enough to crack to get around the license agreement."
Certainly not the best base for an argument...

Cheers,
Mike

Nicolas Jordan
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I swapped my old parallel port dongle out for USB before I needed to because I knew it was only a matter of time before it stopped working or I had to get a new computer which wouldn't support it anyway. You can potentially kill a parallel port dongle by simply removing it by mistake while the computer is on since it is not hot swappable like USB. I highly recommend anyone who still has parallel port dongles to get rid of them before you run into problems as they age etc.

Elmar Moelzer
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, I wouldn't point at a way to violate the licensing agreement as an advantage when it comes to discuss licensing systems

I am not even sure that it is technically contradicting the licensing agreement, since you are technically not working on it, when it is minimized. It is a bit of a grey zone, I guess.

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I am not even sure that it is technically contradicting the licensing agreement, since you are technically not working on it, when it is minimized. It is a bit of a grey zone, I guess.
I don't see a grey zone here:

This License allows you to use one copy of the Software on a single computer at a time. To “use” the Software means that the Software is either loaded in the temporary
memory (i.e., RAM) of a computer, or installed on the permanent memory of a computer (i.e., hard disk, CD ROM, etc.).

Technically the license agreement doesn't even cover network rendering using lwsn (and I don't think it changed in subsequent releases of the docs) ;)

Cheers,
Mike - who read and written his share of license agreements ;)

garyh
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
parallel to usb adapter... And It works fine...
I use an old Parallel dongle using that..

I don't know how you did that. I tried it. Didn't work. And then I read the Sentinel trouble shooting guide which explicitly states that parallel to usb adapters are not supported by the driver, but that parallel port PCI cards that are IEEE 1284 compliant are supported.

So that's a possibility.....

garyh
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
PMG messiah has a good dongle system. The dongle is anything that can be plugged into a USB port. They recommend a flash memory stick. With this system, you install the program, indicate to it which USB device you want to use, send the code back to PMG, and receive back the license. All done by email.

donlimpio
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I kind of like the Dongle. And at the price point LW is at it's a bargain to even have an extra copy of LW around for emergencies, to be honest.

We skipped to volume licensing for Adobe now. One serial number for all PCs in the house, it's practical. Tech or customer support from Adobe has been a very mixed bag though.

Oh well, so far we've been spared the really ugly network disasters, so here's for praying things keep on running smoothly in the future!

Elmar Moelzer
07-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't see a grey zone here:
Well, I do. For the very reason you list here:

Technically the license agreement doesn't even cover network rendering using lwsn

We all know that NT allows network rendering on up to 999 nodes. They even promote that. So even if they dont explicitely list this in their license agreements, they do allow it. I have written my share of license agreements as well, thank you. License agreements do not necessarily cover everything (they should, but it just is not practical).
If I am not mistaken, NewTek employees themselves have publicly promoted the Dongle- app - minimize - thingy in the past. I am pretty sure that is where I learned about it.
You can say a lot about NewTek, but they have always been very, very eager to be very nice to their users in regards to licensing issues. E.g. you can resell your license, without problems.
I have yet to see another software company that is equally nice.

Lightwolf
07-15-2010, 05:44 PM
We all know that NT allows network rendering on up to 999 nodes. They even promote that. So even if they dont explicitely list this in their license agreements, they do allow it. I have written my share of license agreements as well, thank you. License agreements do not necessarily cover everything (they should, but it just is not practical).
If I am not mistaken, NewTek employees themselves have publicly promoted the Dongle- app - minimize - thingy in the past. I am pretty sure that is where I learned about it.
You can say a lot about NewTek, but they have always been very, very eager to be very nice to their users in regards to licensing issues. E.g. you can resell your license, without problems.
I have yet to see another software company that is equally nice.
Still their printed license states different things. And you know what? That's what counts in the only situation where a license agreement counts - in court. (at least in places where this license agreement is legal in the first place, which excludes the EU due to the way it is presented to the user, and depending whom you bought it from).

But basically, if you do something that isn't allowed in the license then you are in breach of it (by the very nature of it).

That say nothing about potential consequences... but I never talked about that either... (i.e. if you're speeding you're breaking the law - but it doesn't imply that you will get a ticket).

Cheers,
Mike

Hieron
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, true, but the activate-deactivate-reactivate licensing schemes, providing they actually work, are still a better idea. The fact that those systems are automated and available 24/7 (also provided your web access doesn't go down as well) is still a better notion than having the software locked to any kind of hardware.

BNR, for instance, is locked to a network card - on one occasion I was troubleshooting over a period of a fortnight, and had to keep emailing Paul to ask for a new code because I'd swapped out the network card again - he was fine with it, but I suppose some of the corporates, like Adobe and AD, might take a very dim view of that.

There probably isn't a good answer for this, though on balance, dongles are perhaps quite a good way, despite my earlier thoughts. If there's infrastructure in place to make sure no-one is down for more than a day or two, then fine. But then if it goes down on top of a major holiday, and you need to work, well, you're stuffed. Hence my liking more the online licensing thing.

Julian.

I vastly prefer a dongle. I mailed alot with Paul frm BNR as well, one time because making a vpn connection changed my network ID constantly and made BNR lock up. He had to send me a special version to get around it.

I hate it when software bites me, the legal buyer, in the bum.

Uhm they are locked to your hardware too. Only that they are locked to your computer- parts (IDs), or your harddrive ID. If the part dies before you deactivated the licensing, you are out of luck.
Also, with the dongle I can easily port my license from one computer to another. I just have to bring the dongle with me. I can do that even without internet access.
You may also not know this, but you can minimize LW, unplug the dongle, the plug it into another computer and launch LW on that one too. As long as LW is minimized, it should work just fine (e.g. calculating dynamics, or rendering a video). Very practical also.
VoluMedic development would be completely inpractical with any other licensing scheme than the dongle. It allows us to test on a large variety of machines (even borrowed ones), without a lot of actual licenses.
It would be a real huge pain to do that when you have to license and unlicense every time you want to test on another computer.

I am sure they do. They sometimes ask you to send in the broken network card. Bad luck if you have more than one software license tied to it. Then you have a lot of people that you have to saw that thing into pieces, or accept loosing your license (under some circumstances).

/agree

I didn't even know you had to minimize. Are you sure?
Never use the dongle that way really, but once had lwsn render issues, and only F10 could help. So tried the dongle swap thing trick then just to make a deadline, and was a bit surprised it worked. Was thankfull though.

Still their printed license states different things. And you know what? That's what counts in the only situation where a license agreement counts - in court. (at least in places where this license agreement is legal in the first place, which excludes the EU due to the way it is presented to the user, and depending whom you bought it from).

But basically, if you do something that isn't allowed in the license then you are in breach of it (by the very nature of it).

That say nothing about potential consequences... but I never talked about that either... (i.e. if you're speeding you're breaking the law - but it doesn't imply that you will get a ticket).

Cheers,
Mike

:) be nice guys

Let's just agree the dongle works well and may have certain nice side effects. I did have issues with machine bound locks etc, but never with my LW dongles.. I switch workstation pretty often, and just swapping a dongle is surely simple.

GraphXs
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, love the dongle! Easy to go to any computer without worrying how many more install/deactivation, etc,etc do I have to do if I use it on multiple machines. I also like that I don't have to be bound to the web because it's great when I travel on airplanes and can still use my Lightwave. I never go without it because its with my car keys! :)

The only thing I wish is the dongle had like a gig of space for LW plug-ins, install, configs, etc,etc. That would make it so easy when set-up on different machines. I know I should just buy a jump drive and do that, it would just be nice if the LW dongle had that.

OnlineRender
07-19-2010, 04:04 AM
you would have thought by now the dongle would have a mini SD card port inside like my wireless dongle , or even a 8 gig flash memory attached , "would be sweet "

shrox
07-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Ding dong the dongle rules, the evil web registration should be dead...(my apologies to Dorthy, the Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Loin. I wouldn't mind if the lion took out a few munchkins though...)