PDA

View Full Version : iPhone4 vs HTC Evo - The Stupid Truth

aurora
07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
A friend of mine from CU sent me this animation. Being back and a Uni it amazing how incredibly true this animation is. It does not matter what you tell, show them it has to be an iPhone just because it the almighty and holier then thou 'iPhone', LOL!!!

I know this will piss some people off, tough truth sucks. Which brings me to the last point, this is not for kids thanks to language even though these are cute cuddly little lobotomized critters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=player_embedded

stone
07-07-2010, 09:34 AM
whats ridiculous is that the bestbuy employee that made it, apparently has been suspended. http://www.neowin.net/news/best-buy-employee-suspended-over-iphone-vs-evo-video

land of the free? for speaking the truth. some people really needs to get down from their high horses and accept reality.

/stone

Kuzey
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Haha...that was funny. It reminds me more of those door to door salesmen, they always have something at a special price, that they think you would be crazy to ignore.

And I always say the same thing...not interested, go away. They can't believe it....haha.

This is the first time I heard about the HTC Evo. I googled and apparently, the screen starts peeling off after a few days of use...not promising. The apps look like they were designed by accountants...so it's early days on that front as well...but, it would be interesting to see if it makes an impact...or not.

The first time I saw the front facing camera on the iPhone 4, I thought that would be wonderful on the iPad...we'll see it in the next version I guess/hope.

For now, I'm happy with my cheap & crappy phone and my iPod Touch...will upgrade to the iPad....once that camera is included....can't wait for that..hehe.

Kuzey

COBRASoft
07-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm happy with my Nokia N900 :). It's Linux based and completely open if you want...

calilifestyle
07-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Haha...that was funny. It reminds me more of those door to door salesmen, they always have something at a special price, that they think you would be crazy to ignore.

And I always say the same thing...not interested, go away. They can't believe it....haha.

This is the first time I heard about the HTC Evo. I googled and apparently, the screen starts peeling off after a few days of use...not promising. The apps look like they were designed by accountants...so it's early days on that front as well...but, it would be interesting to see if it makes an impact...or not.

The first time I saw the front facing camera on the iPhone 4, I thought that would be wonderful on the iPad...we'll see it in the next version I guess/hope.

For now, I'm happy with my cheap & crappy phone and my iPod Touch...will upgrade to the iPad....once that camera is included....can't wait for that..hehe.

Kuzey

It's cuz it's on sprint

biliousfrog
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
That was funny but every time I'm in a phone store I hear at least one person complaining about their HTC, they seem to be constantly breaking, falling apart and crashing. My girlfriend's iPhone has been solid, Apple even changed the screen when she sat on it free of charge while we waited in store...although the store was like an adult version of the early learning centre and I'd never enter another through choice.

Red_Oddity
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I've had my HTC Touch Diamond for over 2 years, and after using a cooked Rom it has done as advertised, never had much trouble with it.

I now own a HTC Desire, and i'm really impressed with the device, everything runs smooth and without any apparent troubles.
Love Android, hate the sh!tty ics support (really, no Caldav or online ICS support, come on Google, wake up.)

Was considering an iPhone, but the whole iPhone 4 debacle and the semi-fascist stance of Jobs and cohorts turned me off big time (even though it is their full right, as they created their own market)

Also, who f-ing cares what phone someone wants, they all have their pros and cons, i never understand the stupid arguments people can have over these things.

shrox
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a TracFone. Just a phone, no music player, no camera, works everywhere when others can't get a signal.

IgnusFast
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I bought an Evo a few weeks ago; though initially the battery life was just unimaginably bad (12-14 hours tops), I tuned it a lot and get almost 3 days out of it. Really nice phone, good build quality. I just hope I don't drop it - the big-*** screen is just BEGGING for a crack in it.

cresshead
07-09-2010, 01:42 AM
i remember when phones made calls...

IgnusFast
07-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Is that what this damned thing is for? I thought it was just apps and GPS? Crap, I guess I should have kept that old one, the one that did voice communications.

Sekhar
07-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I bought an Evo a few weeks ago; though initially the battery life was just unimaginably bad (12-14 hours tops), I tuned it a lot and get almost 3 days out of it. Really nice phone, good build quality. I just hope I don't drop it - the big-*** screen is just BEGGING for a crack in it.

Are you seeing any problems in going back in the browser? It stalls and skips pages for me when I hit the back button.

IgnusFast
07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Nope, no issues so far. But of course, I use it more for email and stuff than for web browsing.

Elmar Moelzer
07-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Loved one of the comments on Youtube:
"If Apple made an iBrick, people would buy it."
So true.
I still have just an old, simple Nokia phone. No bells and whistles. All I do with it is make and receive calls. You know, the stuff that a "phone" is meant for. But the iPhone is not a phone, it is a lifestyle, or something like that.
Anyway, funny animation and very true.

Danner
07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
In late 2007 I wanted an mp3 player and a camera and needed a new phone.. So I bought an Iphone. I still have it and use it every day. The screen got it's first sratch last week! (I put a wifi antena in my pocket with a tini sharp edge...)

It's a nice mp3 player, a nice game device (I play mostly freecel and sudoku now a days) a decent book reader. A crappy but just good enough camera but it's always with you and I have taken the most memorable pictures of the last few years with it.

Oh and sometimes, just sometimes I get phone coverage... =)

Over all I'm quite happy with it, my next phone will most likely be another iphone.

Silkrooster
07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Loved one of the comments on Youtube:
"If Apple made an iBrick, people would buy it."
So true.
I still have just an old, simple Nokia phone. No bells and whistles. All I do with it is make and receive calls. You know, the stuff that a "phone" is meant for. But the iPhone is not a phone, it is a lifestyle, or something like that.
Anyway, funny animation and very true.

Yep, the Iphone will win every time for one reason, they know how to promote. But then again they have the bucks to do so. The one with the most money wins.

Silkrooster
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
For me I just use a prepay. Not in a position to have one of those fancy doo-hikey's...:D

Kuzey
07-11-2010, 04:57 AM
Yep, the Iphone will win every time for one reason, they know how to promote. But then again they have the bucks to do so. The one with the most money wins.

I wouldn't be surprised if the news reports might advertise the iPhone more than Apple itself. I'm mean, it's always on the news and gets pretty much free and wide coverage as a result. This thread is the first time I heard about the HTC Evo...it hasn't been on the news in any major way....that I know of.

Kuzey

gerry_g
07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
If you were to frequent any of the numerous gadget sites U would see firsthand anything HTC or Android based gets considerable coverage Apple does get any more than the others, it's just a perception.

http://www.engadget.com/

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/

Sekhar
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the news reports might advertise the iPhone more than Apple itself. I'm mean, it's always on the news and gets pretty much free and wide coverage as a result. This thread is the first time I heard about the HTC Evo...it hasn't been on the news in any major way....that I know of.

Kuzey

Yes, it feels like Apple bought out the whole publishing industry. Some publishers (especially print) really do have an interest in promoting stuff like iPad because it can in turn help them. But everyone loves to cover Apple because it's so divisive and generates such strong passions = more clicks, discussions, interactions. Same reason Sara Palin gets so much coverage.

evolross
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Well, while were talking about the Evo... the Sprint commercial that's running for it, with all the towers of things falling over and hitting each other like dominoes out in the desert... a bunch of the different props in the commercial were modeled in Lightwave at Digital Domain. A friend of mine worked on it. I think he specifically mentioned the TVs and calculators. It was rendered in Maya VRay and hard dynamics were all done in Houdini. It's interesting that such a blend of apps were used for it, but if you're D2 then you can afford that diverse of a pipeline. It's running a lot on Hulu at the moment as well.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLtWVy1DQI

I do like how Sprint's commercials have been using a lot of 3D graphics lately. Especially all the statistics commercials about all the stuff happening on their network. Those were really cool.

Kuzey
07-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Yes, it feels like Apple bought out the whole publishing industry. Some publishers (especially print) really do have an interest in promoting stuff like iPad because it can in turn help them. But everyone loves to cover Apple because it's so divisive and generates such strong passions = more clicks, discussions, interactions. Same reason Sara Palin gets so much coverage.

Who is Sara Palin again...that coverage is long dead outside of the US.

When Steve Jobs releases a new product, it always makes the news within five minutes of the event. I don't think it's because of strong passions...that usually comes after the product is released. I think it's more simple than that, Apple has managed to been seen as the only company that produces products that others haven't thought of yet and therefore are in the cutting edge. Having said that, the lines outside Apple stores help to make it a media event as well....and therefore newsworthy.

The only way for competitors to get any coverage these days, at least in newspapers, is to go the iPod/iPhone killer route and that usually backfires. It's a funny thing.

Kuzey

warmiak
07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I think it's more simple than that, Apple has managed to been seen as the only company that produces products that others haven't thought of yet and therefore are in the cutting edge.
Kuzey

Which is pretty much true but only when considering their portables business ( phones, ipods etc) - there is nothing in their Mac line that I couldn't do just as well or better on Windows.

Sekhar
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Which is pretty much true but only when considering their portables business ( phones, ipods etc) - there is nothing in their Mac line that I couldn't do just as well or better on Windows.

Actually, false even on the portable side - which was the point of this thread (EVO vs. iPhone 4).

*Pete*
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
i remember when phones made calls...

thats the last thing i use my N97 mini for.
I use it for measuring my speed and distance when running, for GPS, for internet, as a camera, as my portable portfolio (my 3D pictures), as a radio, a music player...i even use it to look cool...(phone on my right arm, in an IPhone bag-thingy)

(actually...im posing, trying to look as a new flavour of Ice-tea (Iste, on the commercial behind me))

i just love my......phone. :D

Sekhar
07-12-2010, 01:14 PM
(actually...im posing, trying to look as a new flavour of Ice-tea (Iste, on the commercial behind me))

Are you Vinn Diesel?

warmiak
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
thats the last thing i use my N97 mini for.
I use it for measuring my speed and distance when running, for GPS, for internet, as a camera, as my portable portfolio (my 3D pictures), as a radio, a music player...i even use it to look cool...(phone on my right arm, in an IPhone bag-thingy)

i just love my......phone. :D

I think you should stop lifting weights ( or whatever else you are lifting) and get some fat on you ... frankly,you should be ashamed of yourself and if you want to maintain your status as a respectable geek, this Vin Diesel look has to go.

Red_Oddity
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Guess Pete got sent to a slam, where they told him he would never see daylight again.
Dug up a doctor, and paid him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on his eyeballs.

Pete can model in the dark now though without anyone sneaking up on him

...man...I've seen Pitch Black one time too many i guess to remember than one.

Hopper
07-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Bah .. I don't even use my phone as a phone anymore. I've had my phone for almost two years now and have a total talk time of 4 hours 18 minutes.

I use mine for lap analysis for track days. With the GPS and accelerometer, it measures speed, G force in turns, along with exit-acceleration, and braking patterns. Now if it could only show me how to actually win...

iTalent -> I looked .. there's no app for that. :(

*Pete*
07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Guess Pete got sent to a slam, where they told him he would never see daylight again.

ah...you speak about my work?

here is a closeup of me in the "slam", had to have a photo for a licence for some workrelated stuff...not much of a Vin Diesel look in it...i scare kids with this picture. (but thanks for the Vin Diesel comments :thumbsup:)

*Pete*
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Bah .. I don't even use my phone as a phone anymore. I've had my phone for almost two years now and have a total talk time of 4 hours 18 minutes.

I use mine for lap analysis for track days. With the GPS and accelerometer, it measures speed, G force in turns, along with exit-acceleration, and braking patterns. Now if it could only show me how to actually win... (

yup...much of the same with me...all i need is for someone to port LW or Core into Symbian so that i can model with my phone too...who needs friends (people to call) when you have smartphones?

Kuzey
07-13-2010, 05:38 AM

Actually, false even on the portable side - which was the point of this thread (EVO vs. iPhone 4).

If it's seen as cutting edge by news agencies and or people, it doesn't matter what the truth is...the hype is something Apple has managed to keep going sine the iPod days. It's not like Apple invented the release spectacle. I think MS started it all, with the hype and midnight release of win95...later Xbox and playstation got in the act. But those companies couldn't sustain it later on.

Having said that, what I think is the real cutting edge and success of the iPod/iPhone...is not the hardware, but the user experience. I love my iPod touch and I can't see myself using other touch screen devices from other companies, they would have to do Apple better than Apple itself :D

But competition is always a good thing.

Kuzey