PDA

View Full Version : UV dynamic texturing

Richard Hebert
07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Got a question about William Vaughn's tutorial on using Morph Mixer and Dynamic Cloth to create a texture map. I've gone through the tut step by step but can't seem to export an endomorph of the stretched out geometry provided by cloth dynamics. I have the scrubber set to the last frame of the timeline and go to File/ save endomorph and create one and then go to File/ save object copy and create one. I open the newly created object copy in Modeler (supposedly with its newly created endomorph) and no endomorph. The name of the endomorph appears in the morph list but it's no different than the endomorph first created in Modeler (Pic 2)... if that makes any sense. Got some screenshots to try to illustrate. Thanks for any insight into what I may be missing. I'm using a Mac if it happens to be a Mac issue only.

Richard

bazsa73
07-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I use save transformed on level 0 geometry then load it into the background layer of the object I want the UVs applied to the BG to morph and then zou have the morph . Or you can try PLG_UV tools. This latter is best UV maker for LW, imho.

Richard Hebert
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not entirely clear on this process. I'm still rather new. When you say "level 0" are you talking about frame "0" on the timeline? Let me know if I'm understanding correctly.

Richard

ramccombe
07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I believe he means the object properties display/render subpatch setting to "0". I just tested and you can save any frame as a transformed object so go to the point that you're happy with the deformation and save trans object. I just used cloth dynamics to deform a ball and saved a few frames of deformation and each object loaded in modeler as expected. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

ramccombe
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I just watched the vid again and I now understand your problem. I'm on a Mac so I will give a proper test and let you know.

Richard Hebert
07-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks ramccombe,

It's the whole 'save endomorph from Layout' that's been driving me crazy.

ramccombe
07-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Richard, I just followed the tutorial and it seemed to work for me. I'm on an old PPC running 10.4.11. I attached a couple of images. I was thinking it might be a naming convention issue. I've seen in other tuts were the underscore is critical. I used "Head2_UV.lwo" and "UV_Head" for the saved endomorph and all worked. Aside from naming convention I"m not sure. I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Richard Hebert
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I wonder if the model has to be oriented on the z axis for this to work.

Richard

ramccombe
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
That sounds like a possibility. The model I used was in the lightwave folder and was oriented as you see it. There certainly are some functions that are orientation dependent. I guess try reorienting your model and recalculate. Good luck!:)

TripD
07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I got through that tutorial after a couple tries of missing little things, but finally got it to work. I don't think your z axis is an issue if your cloth calculation got you where you wanted to be.

some things that pop in my head:

did you 'un' subpatch before sending object to layout?

Did you save endo and save copy right after the calculation?

Did you give the copy a different name?

That's all I can think of right now.