PDA

View Full Version : Fprime Streaking Artifact

drawlins
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
When using Fprime to render out stills I'm sometimes getting annoying horizontal streaks. These seem to occur randomly, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

These streaks don't go away if I let Fprime refine the image further. If they show up in the render result the first time Fprime saves an image, they'll never go away. If they don't show up in the first saved image, they never show up later.

Usually when I encounter this, if I shut down LW, then restart and reload the scene, Fprime will render without streaking, but maddeningly, this doesn't always work.

If I'm rendering out a sequence of several frames, some frames may have streaks, others will be fine.

I'm using Fprime 3.51 with LW 9.61.

Anyone run into this before?

http://www.ai-aardvark.com/David_R/B17/FP_streaks.jpg

Tobian
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Are you using any shader plugins, or third party plugins? I get this (and worse) if I try and use the SG_AmbOccNode, which is a known bug on behalf of those two plugins being used in conjunction...

drawlins
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm not using any shader plugins. I'm not even using nodes.

David R

Danner
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
very weird, as if the image is getting corrupted. I'd try saving to another drive. Only happens with this image? or anything out of fprime?.

3dworks
07-06-2010, 05:06 PM
maybe memory corruption? did you check your RAM?

delonious
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep... I get that too... anyone out there with a solution?

drawlins
02-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm still seeing it from time to time, and on different computers. And I still have no idea how to fix it.

David R

rdrdrd23
02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
I recall having some ugly similar looking lines on a project when I was trying to use the occlusionII node.... but then if you're not using nodes, try;

1) make sure your geometry in the area is clean. No coexisting polys, ugly n-gons or forgotten patches or polylines.

2) have a look at the raytrace nuimbers - ray precision and ray cutoff. note down what youve got now and give either or both of them a tickle. (I know this isn't a scientific approach, but hey, thats the way I roll baby!)

3) try it with and without any shadows at all. And then if that starts to narrow it down, work your way through any lights which are making the problem worse.

My bet is iffy geometry though. 99 cats out of 100 prefer them. LW doesnt though.

lertola2
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Are you using a dome light? I have had problems with fprime and dome lights.

Phil
02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I tend to suspect threading issues when I see things like this. Do you see the same issues with a non-beta build of LW? (9.6.1 remains beta software and might have issues not seen in 9.6, and vice versa)