PDA

View Full Version : Open Avid MXF Files

Mutley Eugenius
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
MXF is supposed to mean Media Exchange Format, and Avid has somehow seen fit to pervert the format so that it can only be opened with another Avid, and only if you include the 'Master clip' file with the data files. There are usually 1 video file with 2 audio files (L&R) of the same duration, but unless you have the master clip file, a tiny 3 KB file that says 'this is the video file, this is the L audio this is the R audio, and these are the codecs...' (which is basically the file header that has been saved elsewhere as a different file) then the large data files are all useless.

But it would be awesome if SE could open the Master File and load the data files that go with it from their paths and import the HD files directly...

If you find a way to do this I will buy thousands of shares in your company.

Best,
Mutley.

chribba
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
MXF is supposed to mean Media Exchange Format, and Avid has somehow seen fit to pervert the format so that it can only be opened with another Avid, and only if you include the 'Master clip' file with the data files. There are usually 1 video file with 2 audio files (L&R) of the same duration, but unless you have the master clip file, a tiny 3 KB file that says 'this is the video file, this is the L audio this is the R audio, and these are the codecs...' (which is basically the file header that has been saved elsewhere as a different file) then the large data files are all useless.

But it would be awesome if SE could open the Master File and load the data files that go with it from their paths and import the HD files directly...

If you find a way to do this I will buy thousands of shares in your company.

Best,
Mutley.

MXF is a container or "wrapper" and inside you have the files. There is an increasing number of professional NLE's that can work with MXF files natively including Avid, Adobe Premiere Pro 3.1 or above, Sony Vegas, and GrassValley Edius. Latest versions of Avid editing products store media in MXF Op-Atom and import/export MXF Op1a or using Toboggan MediaTransfer that supports any kind of MXF flavour. Native MXF access in Apple's Final Cut Pro and other Mac OS X applications can be achieved by using the MXF Import QT component from MXF4mac. PiTiVi is the first open source video editor to support the Material Exchange Format (MXF).

/Chribba

Mutley Eugenius
07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm sure you're entirely right, but it doesn't change the fact that Avid created MXFs can only be opened by another Avid. I have tried Final Cut, SE, and Premiere, but nothing opens Avid MXF files, which is against the original designer's intentions.

See:

http://www.google.com/search?q=MXF+whitepaper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The difference between theory & practice is: in theory, there's no difference.

chribba
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm sure you're entirely right, but it doesn't change the fact that Avid created MXFs can only be opened by another Avid. I have tried Final Cut, SE, and Premiere, but nothing opens Avid MXF files, which is against the original designer's intentions.

See:

http://www.google.com/search?q=MXF+whitepaper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The difference between theory & practice is: in theory, there's no difference.

Have you made the files youreself or someone else? Im going to make a test myself and see whats going on... you are not trying to open MXF files that are in avid system? It is a MXF exported from an avid right?

Mutley Eugenius
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Avid records a video media file, an independent audio file (one for each channel) and a little file called a master clip which is a directory for the media files to tell Avid what they are and where to find them, what codec they are, duration, etc. The master clip file is tiny but crucial to the information to be assembled and interleaved from the different media files. For SE top open an Avid MXF file, It would actually have to read the Master Clip file and then be redirected to the various MXF files with the independent data streams in them to be able to play back the video. You can't drag an .MXF file, any of these independent streams, onto the timeline.

That's the tough part of it. I know SE can make Avid files, but it can't read them yet.