PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 64bit on 2006 Mac Pro

BlueApple
07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I am about to install Win 7 64bit on a 2006 Mac Pro and came across this in the Bootcamp docs at Apple:

You can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7 with any of these Mac computers:
A Mac Pro or MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later
An iMac or MacBook introduced in late 2009 or later

It sounds like they don't promise Win 7 64bit to work on my box, however in this thread (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/products/64-bit) a number of people seem to have pulled it off.

Do any of you have a Mac Pro made pre 2008 with Win 7 64 running nicely? Any application issues under Win 7 64, specifically with LW 9.6?

yaschan
07-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Yep. I just bought Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and installed via Bootcamp. I'm using Quad Core Mac Pro with 8 gigs of memory. I found no problems, running various heavy duty graphics software in 64 bit and all memory is in use.

yaschan
07-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Apple added the compatibility to 64 bit Windows 7 in last Bootcamp update I think.

BlueApple
07-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, you have an older Mac Pro (made in 2006) and not one of the 2008 models?

yaschan
07-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Oh gosh. Sorry. Mine is the new one..

yaschan
07-06-2010, 06:59 AM
But yours is Intel isn't it?

BlueApple
07-06-2010, 07:02 AM
It is Intel, but Apple's Bootcamp docs say that Win 7 64 will run on Mac Pros made in late 2008 and later. This doesn't explicity say that Win 7 64 will not work on Mac Pros made prior to that, but it's a risk I suppose.

On MacRumors I saw a few users that have installed Win 7 64 on the older Mac Pros, but getting it installed isn't the same as running hassle free with a lot of graphics applciations.

yaschan
07-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Did you check this one out?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808440

Good luck!

BlueApple
07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
yaschan,

I had spotted the article you linked to, I actually posted a question there yesterday :)

I think I'll just roll the dice, install Win 7 64 and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

OnlineRender
07-07-2010, 07:56 AM
it should work , I can get the reverse method , i.e. mac OSX onto my asus AMD chipset , works fluent . so i dont see why you should have any problems getting win7 onto mac . . ironic isn't it , first thing you do with a mac is put windows onto it :) , I would also consider Ubuntu . .

BlueApple
07-07-2010, 08:12 AM
ironic isn't it , first thing you do with a mac is put windows onto it :)

I assure you, putting Windows on my box is hardly the first thing I've done :)

I've had this computer for well over 3 years and I've gotten to a point where I need to demo XSI and 3DS Max to see how they stand up against my other options. I may also buy a Windows license for ZBrush because Pixologic can't seem to release ZB3.5 for the Mac.

yaschan
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
How do you guys think about running Windows 7 on 64 bit in virtual space like Parallels?
To be able to access the bootcamp partition from the virtual machine would come handy.

rsfd
07-09-2010, 05:13 AM
from the view of workflow, virtual machines are by far better than BootCamp.

But Parallels e.g. doesn't support 2cpu at this time, so with an 8-core your downsized to one cpu. And of cours, any virtual machine sucks away a certain percentage of cpu power, so for rendering Bootcamp would be faster.
And with an 8-core, you need to buy at least Win7 Pro, as Premium also only runs on one cpu!

Btw. one could also add read/write support via NTFS for Mac (from Paragon Software)

BlueApple
07-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Btw. one could also add read/write support via NTFS for Mac (from Paragon Software)

I think for file sharing between Win 7 via Bootcamp and Snow Leopard I am going to have a drive that is partitioned with NTFS on one side and Fat32 on the other. My understanding is that I can run the Windows OS and programs from the NTFS side, and then save work files (.psd, .tga sequences, .lwo, etc.) to the Fat32 partition. Both Snow Leopard and Win 7 64 can read write to the Fat32 partition, correct?

brunopeixoto
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
So, Parallels and Fusion support more than 2 processors at this time.

brunopeixoto
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
But the maximum memory for a video board is 256 MB!

rsfd
07-10-2010, 03:39 AM
...Both Snow Leopard and Win 7 64 can read write to the Fat32 partition, correct?

Yes, both can read/write on FAT32.

So, Parallels and Fusion support more than 2 processors at this time.

Don't know anything about Fusion, but - to my knowledge - Parallels only supports one physical cpu (e.g. 1 duo or quad-core cpu), but it does not support multiple cpu (e.g. 2 quad-core cpu, as in some MacPro).
Also, Windows Home Premium Editions don't support more than one physical cpu (e.g. one quad-core cpu).

But the maximum memory for a video board is 256 MB!

Couldn't find any info about that.
But Parallels supports RAM to a maximum limit of 8GB per virtual machine.

yaschan
07-10-2010, 07:49 AM
By processors you mean physical CPUs, not cores, right?
This version palette is interesting move from Microsoft. It seems like their thinking is: "those who can afford dual processor machine can obviously afford super expensive Windows license.."
I somehow like that there are only two versions of Snow Leopard, Server and Non-server :)

Lightwolf
07-10-2010, 09:01 AM
This version palette is interesting move from Microsoft. It seems like their thinking is: "those who can afford dual processor machine can obviously afford super expensive Windows license.."
I'm not sure if 140 qualifies as super expensive - if you consider that any decent dual socket machine will set you back by at least 2000.
Quad sockets are a different matter of course - but then that's at least a choice ;)

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
By processors you mean physical CPUs, not cores, right?
I somehow like that there are only two versions of Snow Leopard, Server and Non-server :)

Most interesting is the fact, that Microsoft does not communicate this limitation clearly.
I first bought HomePrem to use with BootCamp and then had to realize it doesn't use the 2nd cpu. After hours of research, I finally found a thread somewhere, where someone clearly stated this limitation. Sellers (at least all I asked) didn't know this too - or they just didn't want to tell. And I agree that this "editionning" of OS is just a cash generator.

I'm not sure if 140€ qualifies as super expensive - if you consider that any decent dual socket machine will set you back by at least 2000€.
Quad sockets are a different matter of course - but then that's at least a choice ;)

ok, 140€ is only System Builder (of course it's a full edition) but the official price for full retail varies between 260-310€ for Pro and even more for Ultimate, Super-Ultimate, Extreme-Ultimate and No-Limits-Ultimate :D
Hey, I'm sure you know that it's hard stuff having to install Win on a Mac - just for one application! :hey:

Lightwolf
07-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Most interesting is the fact, that Microsoft does not communicate this limitation clearly.
I first bought HomePrem to use with BootCamp and then had to realize it doesn't use the 2nd cpu. After hours of research, I finally found a thread somewhere, where someone clearly stated this limitation. Sellers (at least all I asked) didn't know this too - or they just didn't want to tell. And I agree that this "editionning" of OS is just a cash generator.
It took me less than a minute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions (and that's going via wikipedia).
Sales people are a different story though - the usually don't know a thing, regardless of what brand of computer they sell (which also means: cherish the ones that do!).

ok, 140 is only System Builder (of course it's a full edition) but the official price for full retail varies between 260-310 for Pro and even more for Ultimate, Super-Ultimate, Extreme-Ultimate and No-Limits-Ultimate :D
Hey, I'm sure you know that it's hard stuff having to install Win on a Mac - just for one application! :hey:
But the system builder is all you need, so I'm not bothered about more expensive options.
Last time I bootcamped my Mac it took me half an hour including the OS install. But you're certainly right, Bootcamp doesn't make a lot of sense.

Best solution: Get a second machine ;)

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
It took me less than a minute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions (and that's going via wikipedia).
Yes, but if you look at this table you will see it states 2 physical cpu for HomePrem and that is just wrong.

Sales people are a different story though - the usually don't know a thing, regardless of what brand of computer they sell (which also means: cherish the ones that do!).
Sad, but true! :D

But the system builder is all you need, so I'm not bothered about more expensive options.
Agree, but SystemBuilder isn't legal everywhere - of course we're among the lucky ones here in Germany.

Last time I bootcamped my Mac it took me half an hour including the OS install. But you're certainly right, Bootcamp doesn't make a lot of sense.
Best solution: Get a second machine ;)

Agree again, but a Mac user usually don't want to buy a PC :hey: (and vice versa, I know)
There is not much sense in running more than one OS except for developers and such.
I'd like to stay with OSX and therefore have e.g. LW running on Mac as it does on Win. But I'm not so sure that this will ever happen. And switching platform is a very expensive step, and one has to think at least twice - not every developer has such a fair license system as NewTek (and you) has.

Lightwolf
07-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Yes, but if you look at this table you will see it states 2 physical cpu for HomePrem and that is just wrong.
Haha, true, they really goofed that one up...

Agree, but SystemBuilder isn't legal everywhere - of course we're among the lucky ones here in Germany.
And in should be in Europe as well if I remember correctly. It's cheaper in the US anyhow.

Agree again, but a Mac user usually don't want to buy a PC :hey: (and vice versa, I know)
There is not much sense in running more than one OS except for developers and such.
Maybe people should stop thinking of themselves as brand x computer user, but as software users ;)
But then again, that doesn't work in any other area either ;)

And switching platform is a very expensive step...
Why switch if you can just add a second one? It's fairly low cost in at least one direction...

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
07-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Haha, true, they really goofed that one up...
Oh, yes! You can bet! And the true information is hard to find. And it's not on Microsoft's websites, where you will find it :grumpy:

Maybe people should stop thinking of themselves as brand x computer user, but as software users ;)
Sorry, I was too vague. When I speak of Mac or PC users I think of them as OSX and Windows users. It's the OS, that counts for me. I'm absolutely no hardware fetishist. I'm quite pragmatic about that. As of now, Windows just doesn't convicts me, but I know that's from force of habit.

Why switch if you can just add a second one? It's fairly low cost in at least one direction...
Well in that case, I'm just too lazy - I'd like to concentrate myself on one OS, I don't want to spend too much time updating 2 OS and keep me informed about everything. It takes so much time. So when I loose all hope that OSX will ever treated equally to Windows in the 3D area, I will have to start the process to switch to Windows, I guess.

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Oh, yes! You can bet! And the true information is hard to find. And it's not on Microsoft's websites, where you will find it :grumpy:
It is, if you look at the system requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

Sorry, I was too vague. When I speak of Mac or PC users I think of them as OSX and Windows users. It's the OS, that counts for me. I'm absolutely no hardware fetishist. I'm quite pragmatic about that. As of now, Windows just doesn't convicts me, but I know that's from force of habit.
That doesn't make a difference to my argument though ;) It's about the applications you need to get your job done. Anything else it fluff (unless you work inside the OS all day long).
I'd rather have an application that I feel comfortable in even if I need to struggle more with the OS than the other way around.

Well in that case, I'm just too lazy - I'd like to concentrate myself on one OS, I don't want to spend too much time updating 2 OS and keep me informed about everything. It takes so much time. So when I loose all hope that OSX will ever treated equally to Windows in the 3D area, I will have to start the process to switch to Windows, I guess.
I think compared to keeping up to date with the actual applications that one uses, keeping up to date with the underlying OS isn't much of an issue.
*shrugs*

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
07-12-2010, 05:32 AM
It is, if you look at the system requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx
Cool, that info wasn't available some month ago, and it still isn't on the German MS site.
(But I remember having written some flamatory mails to MS support after my Win7 desaster :D )

That doesn't make a difference to my argument though ;) It's about the applications you need to get your job done. Anything else it fluff (unless you work inside the OS all day long).
I'd rather have an application that I feel comfortable in even if I need to struggle more with the OS than the other way around.

I think compared to keeping up to date with the actual applications that one uses, keeping up to date with the underlying OS isn't much of an issue.

Well, 3D is the first area where I run into issues by using OSX. I always felt comfortable with all my other applications, had always everything "to get the job done". And it was fun.
Maybe I'm just not happy with the feeling of being forced to do something that I wouldn't do voluntarily.

Lightwolf
07-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Cool, that info wasn't available some month ago, and it still isn't on the German MS site.
I never even look at the German site... You're certainly right though, it should be listed.

Well, 3D is the first area where I run into issues by using OSX. I always felt comfortable with all my other applications, had always everything "to get the job done". And it was fun.
Maybe I'm just not happy with the feeling of being forced to do something that I wouldn't do voluntarily.
Then don't, nobody is forcing you ... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

rsfd
07-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Yep, I know it's my decision :D

And I'm keeping your Arlt-link anyway ;)
...one never knows...

yaschan
07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I find some hilarius elitism in the namings of Windows versions, like "Home Premium". LOL or "Ultimate".
Anyway, if we look for a Win7 64 bit version, Home Premium 64 bit is the cheapest isn't it? I just paid 27 000 yen (about 220USD) for one here in Japan.
What I find most annoying is that only the most expensive version of Windows allows me to change the language. So if I buy PC workstation here in Japan and it comes with Japanese Windows, I have to buy new license if I want to change the language. Oh, joy..

Lightwolf
07-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Anyway, if we look for a Win7 64 bit version, Home Premium 64 bit is the cheapest isn't it? I just paid 27 000 yen (about 220USD) for one here in Japan.
Yup, it is. If you don't have a dual socket motherboard that is. Ouch... the system builder version is 95 here.

Cheers,
Mike