PDA

View Full Version : surfacing tip - modulating gradients

Pavlov
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi all,
i've a simple material setup, a texture which fades into another via a gradient which calls a Wmap.
I always wondered how to control this fade with a texture. I dont want a gradient look, but a more natural look (it's a grassy ground fading into rocks). I'd like to have grass which begins to show some little sparse rocks, then bigger ones, until grass disappears.
is there a basic node setup for this ?

thanks,
Paolo

(he who NEEDS some basic and advanced tuts on nodes).

MooseDog
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
using what looks roughly the same as your setup, with the weight map running down the center of the plane.

(note, i used the checkerboard procedural just for demo purposes as it's easy to see.) hope the screenshot is self-explanatory, and as with all things nodes, there's a bunch of different ways to go about something.

Pavlov
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi moosedog,
thanks, it looks interesting too.
Anyway, you see squares becoming transparent in the transition; i'm aiming to a different effect, more precisely i'd like squares to become smaller (and remain 100% grass) in the transition, until they disappear. In other words, transition must be the result of a scale change in textures, but grass is always 100% grass and soil is always 100% soil. There should be no "fade effect" between surfaces.

Paolo

Tobian
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
well where Moose used a grid texture, you could just use a more more interpolated texture and ramp up the sharpness, and use the gradient of the weight map to drive the blend. It'll be quite hard to successfully blend textures using procedurals without it looking obvious as procesurals look quite obvious sometimes.

Pavlov
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Tobian, i'll try it better. By mind only, i fear i would end with blended materials somewhere.
Every single pixel must be 100% grass or 100% soil, no in between, grass must "crack" in pieces which become smaller and smaller, until only Soil remains.
Another solution has been given here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110375 . It works, basically you plug a gradient into a Crust procedural's size.
I'll also try this one (and other if they come to mind) just to learn more about nodes.

bye
Paolo

Tobian
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
There's only so many of the nodal textures which you can alter like that. That said you could put another node into the position/rotation/scale of the crust texture to break up the the edges, so it's not just dots..

Pavlov
07-07-2010, 02:13 AM
yes, i thought about displacing edne somehow.
Problem is just that: there are few texture we can modify this way, i wish we could use some more.

Paolo

erikals
07-07-2010, 08:41 AM
some tuts...
http://liberty3d.com/tag/surfacing+lightwave+training

Pavlov
07-07-2010, 09:41 AM
tnx !