PDA

View Full Version : Does Weld UV work?

PixelDust
07-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Does the Weld UV tool in Modeler 9.6 work? I selected two discontinuous (red) points in the UV editor and click Weld UV and nothing happens - they still remain two points.

Even if I use the Snap Drag tool to put the two points in the same place, they won't weld.

I'd use Heal UV, but it welds all the discontinuous points together and makes a mess.

I've searched here and on Google, and there doesn't seem to be any info about this tool that I can find.

Thanks in advance...

TripD
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
It almost sounds like you want to use 'heal' UV for those 2 points

PixelDust
07-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the answer! But I have some more questions...

In the help file, it says you have to unweld points on the model to define the seams if you want to use Heal UV, otherwise it causes a tangled mess. I'd like to avoid unwelding if at all possible.

However, the Weld UV help file doesn't mention having to unweld points first. Do I need to unweld actual points on the model to use Weld UV?

Another thing: I had used the PLG Make UV Edit plug-in at first, but I didn't get the results I wanted. When I tried it again (without dropping the tool), it caused my UVs to totally disappear from the UV Texture window and I couldn't get them to show up again. Is that normal? I'm using the 64-bit Windows version.

gerry_g
07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
whether points on a uv mesh are welded or just snapped for the odd one or two (as in butting one uv island up against another) they will still perform properly as uv's. Basic welding and un welding to manipulate a particular group or island of uv's is usually done with the mesh commands for the real poly's as in 'unweld' to unweld and 'merge' to reweld'; the unwelding thing is all due to the fact that vert's or points are usually shared across multiple polys so selecting one in its welded state is the same as selecting all its counterparts.