PDA

View Full Version : Moving objectspot vector with different object?

Salv8or
07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi again.. As usual when I post I have collided with a problem, and been sitting with it for several hours without coming up with a solution.
So.. Again I kneel befor you all mighty LW masters, to point me in the right direction.

I want to move a "object spot" in the node editor with the same amount as a object in xyz. This might seem like a simple task, "just add the vectors together". But no!!!!

So how do I do it? Thankfull for any hints.

Salv8or
07-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Nevermind.. Finaly got it.. used the transform2 node, and "voila".. Im a happycamper.

I have finaly managed to make semi instancingin lightwave. Wooooow !!!!

Post someiages l8er.

pyo
07-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Something like that ?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86107

Salv8or
07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Something like that.. But with the the total shading from the original object/objects that rather that fills the area to be cloned.. Still working on it thou. Started with the shader to do something simmilar to vroom but it got to be totaly different in a sence.

pyo
07-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Actually I did what Vroom does and also did shader that makes instances by parts not objects.
And with this method I can shade instances with different methods.
All instances can be shaded same as their origin or I can pick some stuff from the original object and do all the shading in instances.
So.. I can trace instance read UV and normals from them and do shading based on that i.e. changing texture for each instance, randomly or with some pattern.

I've also used this technique to create LED display where each pixel is instanced 3d object.

check here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1034237&postcount=6

If You check thread I posted before, there's sample with menger sponge fractal which as You can see is rendered with radiosity.

If You want we could join forces on the "fake instance" field and maybe learn something from each other :)

Cheers

Salv8or
07-09-2010, 03:58 AM
This is what came out from my Vroom experimentation.
In this case im just geting the spot transported to the position of the cloned volume. I would like to have a 64bit compile of truearts extended item info so that one can resurface or change the object that is being cloned and randomise that by changing "frame" input on the extended item info node. In this exampleim just randomising a color overlay. Also I wouldlike to see if its possible to change te incoming light ray so that the illumination corespond to the rotation of the clone resieving area.

The treecloning is made in a similar way. But since im using transparancy rather than clipmap (as far as i know and things ive tryed including dps node texture on clipmap it cant be done with clipmap) the rendertmes are huge. =/

So I would be happy to join the hunt for the holygrale of cloning in lightwave.

Salv8or
07-09-2010, 04:10 AM
It would be totaly awesome if true art could release a new compile of Truearta node library. so that we where able to change what could be cloned by randomizasion. (hint, hint) =)

The Node setup for the room is acctually very simple.

evenflcw
07-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Looks very cool. Looking forward to seeing what else you/it can do.

It seems a step up from Spirosas solution. Is there any rendering feature that it won't support? Reflection, moblur etc?!

You only mention times in one instance. Was it slow because of clip maps or because instancing via nodes is just a slow process because it yields an unoptimized algorithm?

Salv8or
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
The slow rersult on the tree rendering is a direct result of transparancy, where the ray have to reevaluated everytime it hits a polygone, even thou its not visible. If it could be solved with a clipmap the speed would be alot faster since the invisible pixels would not be evaluated. I have not tested it with moblur, but reflection is supported and I cant see any reason why it should'nt work with moblur.

pyo
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Here's what I've achieved.
Trees are populated using particles and FX_Linker. As You can see every tree is textured and properly lit.
Rendering times on core 2 quad Q6600 (2.66GHz) are:
13min. for the grey forest version
8 min. for color forest
5 min. for close up

rendertime differs because I've used adaptive antialiasing and with darker images it just don't refine black areas.

AA is equal to 32 sample non adaptive antialiasing.

Salv8or
07-15-2010, 04:49 AM
That looks great. Im closing in on it to but I think im doing it harder with more job than it has to. Ive dublicated the object i want to clone and asigned a new surface "normalshaded" and a nother "raytrace" node for that position. That was the only way I managed to get a hold of the normals.
How are you doing it? Care to share.

pyo
07-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm tracing normals, UVs and material index (sort of). I'm just doing it in one pass without duplicating instanced object.
The trick is that I'm encoding all this information in the clone source and then decoding it instance surface.
All shading is done in instance surface and the textures are also apllied in this surface.
Cache node from dbw_tools is crucial because it cuts rendertime up to 5 times.

Salv8or
07-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Hmm.. Okej. So all surfaces for the original object have to be preped for cloning?
Can you cache on one surface and use pom's getmaterial in another surface, or am i totaly out of wack?

pyo
07-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes, all surfaces in cloned object have to be prepared for cloning.
This is possible to set color in the base model then encode it and normal and pass it to instance, but doing all the surfacing in instance's surface has advantages.
For example the texture applied can be varied per instance.

Salv8or
07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
May I have a sneek peek on your setup?

pyo
07-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes of course.

Salv8or
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I couldnt get the uv transformation you have on the "resieving" geometry.
But I got a hang on the cach-node at least. I think I still will be doing it with double geometry. One object with a normal generation surface, and one for the acctuall surfacing. That way a can clone any object without having to resurface the hole thing, just cranking the luminosity to 100% and make a normal generation object.

Thanx for letting me in on youre take on things.