Dexter2999
07-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Awesome! I'm there!

cresshead
07-03-2010, 01:48 AM
looks neat..hope the story is good too

COBRASoft
03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I just saw Rango... The CG quality is stunning!

I found the story a bit slow, but it surely works. The level of detail in the characters is impressive.

Has anybody in the LW community worked on Rango?

borkus
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
That looked stunning!!! Can't wait to see that.

adamredwoods
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Rango was made by the good folks over at ILM, so probably no LW was used since they use other renderers.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20036670-52.html

probiner
03-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Looks like a good one out from the usual round, cuty, kiddy animated movies crowd.

The Lizzards and life of the characters remind me so much of Blacksad
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8516/polipatrondupooliguanaxf3.jpg http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2Y-BCmJL654/R5m0jWI4U0I/AAAAAAAABmk/jjFKJUFyx94/s200/Blacksad+-+Un+Lugar+Entre+Las+Sombras-43A.jpg

Red_Oddity
03-03-2011, 04:17 AM
It indeed does look a bit like Guarnido's work yes.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 09:38 AM
The detail in the trailers gives me a headache (figuratively).

jasonwestmas
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure the texture details would give me a figurative headache but they are certainly pretty amazing.

jeric_synergy
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
To be more precise, contemplating WORKING on all those incredible textures gives me a headache.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even know where to start-- it's amazing. Fantastic accomplishment.

(huh, since i don't know, I guess I don't have to worry about the 'work' part at all!)

Dexter2999
03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Just watched it in the theater.

WOW! Well animated. Smartly written. Just beautiful to look at.

Well done Nickelodeon!

LW_Will
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Well done ILM! Their first work doing full length animated theatrical work... guess The Clone Wars film was ILM Singapore...

probiner
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Well done everyone who made it! Storywise there are some bugs, but it's a very rich movie. All the crafty work going on there it's superb! Great one!
Final credits are slick too (Comics ftw!).

Dodgy
03-18-2011, 06:43 PM
The story was sooooooo old, it was the most annoying part of the film. The rest was pretty awesome, the look was fantastic. It's just a shame the story has been done sooooo often before.

Dexter2999
03-18-2011, 06:56 PM
The story was sooooooo old, it was the most annoying part of the film. The rest was pretty awesome, the look was fantastic. It's just a shame the story has been done sooooo often before.

Yeah, the story wasn't anything special. Saw it coming a mile away mostly. But dialog was really well written.

I particularly like how Johnny Depp progressed from the actor persona and fell into speech pattern that very much reminded me of George Clooney's performance from O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU.

calilifestyle
03-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Very true about the story.... But, you knew it was coming. The kids loved it. i took a group of 5 .... expensive yes, at the end they where all crazy over it.

For me wow i loved the look it was so gorgeous

Dexter2999
03-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Nice interview over at http://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fxpodcast-ilms-hal-hickel-on-rango/

BigHache
03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Awesome, Emergen-C packs on the desk.

I enjoyed the film, visually very nice and the characters were fun.

Mitja
03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
I watched it two weeks ago. Pretty nice and fun, technical realisation is obviously really good. As said the story is pretty something already seen. Despicable me was funnier imho.

probiner
03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
The movie itself gives one strange sensation. Not amazing not terrible, it vibrates.
The story is seen and a bit childish, but the storytelling and the "texture" of the characters is great! Probably due to the western movie thing.
On the other hand the animals charactization is not great, since it's sometimes looks like they just went very hard on the visuals, but the acting and what makes a chameleon a chameleon or a mole a mole is left out, and not brought to the personas of the characters.
So Rango itself could have been a mice or a cricket or fish easly.

Like i said in the first post, it's a great movie out of the kiddy, soft, roundish, cool, fluffy animation crowd, and i would like more in this line with a more consistent story and weighted characters. But then it wouldn't be a kid's movie wouldn't it? (Thats why the comics still go to places that animated movies can only go in shorts)

Cheers

BigHache
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
For those interested, an audio interview with the animation director (http://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fxpodcast-ilms-hal-hickel-on-rango/).

Cryonic
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Are there any more stories to tell? It seems like every major idea has already been written, filmed, staged, etc... Only the details seem to change anymore.

gerry_g
03-22-2011, 05:00 PM
If no one else has said it and skimming the posts I can't see that they have, one strand of the plot is a parody of Roman Polanski's 'China Town', in which a scheming property developer bribes an LA water board official to cut the water supply to various orange farmers in the valley in order to buy up their freeholds on the cheap for real estate development. In the movie the property developer was played by none other than John Huston (director of the Maltese Falcon), the turtle in Rango not only looks like him but with it's big bruff Irish brogue sounds like him too, he's even in a wheel chair as was the great man in his last years. Great movie, go see it, also the mariachi band is lifted from another famous musical western (I forget which one) but it had Nat King Cole as the lead singer

Mitja
03-23-2011, 02:38 AM
But then it wouldn't be a kid's movie wouldn't it?

Actually, there was only 20% of kids in the theatre when I went to watch it.

jasonwestmas
03-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I think they are called "Family" Films.