PDA

View Full Version : Quadpanels detailer gets another update

jameswillmott
07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
QuadPanels v1.3 is now ready.

This free upgrade to the nurnie plugin is now capable of using a folder to select custom nurnies from, and fully supports multimeshes (layers) so you can have a single file containing sets of nurnies for convenience. You can still use background layers for custom nurnies, and even use a mix of background layers and nurnies from a folder, and the built in procedurals.

Also sees some bugs fixed, including some Mac specific ones, thanks to my testers for helping me resolve those.

http://208.109.87.135/artists/videos/james/qp1-3post.jpg

The evaluation version is limited:

* working with 6000 poly meshes.
* bugs you for a serial number often.
* only works with single polygon selections ( as opposed to detailing any number of polygons at once ) .
* occasionally doesnít do what itís asked.
* only works with 2 custom nurnies , either in the background or from a folder on disk.

You can get it, and view the new demonstration video at www.liberty3d.com/quadpanels

GregMalick
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Aloha James,

Once purchased, do upgrades simply involve unzipping the file into the appropriate directory?

JamesCurtis
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Just tried this with the new update! You need to do the code you are sent each time you install/overwrite the plugin at the moment from what I can tell.

It would be good if the plugin could write a file in its directory with the registration/purchase info so this wouldn't need to be done.

WilliamVaughan
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
wow...this is how you take care of your customers!

Thanx James!

Cageman
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
This is awesome! Multimesh is incredible usefull!

Thanks alot for making this tool, James!

:)

JeffrySG
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Well I finished a render I was working on using v1.3 of the plugin. It uses a custom set of panels I built especially for the project. I'm loving the plugin! And the custom models feature totally make it for me!

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110315

jameswillmott
07-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Quick update to Quadpanels.

Some of you have commented on the huge amount of memory QuadPanels takes up while running. This latest update, v 1.31 fixes that, and so consumes *significantly* less memory than it used to while running.

That said, it is still easy enough to overload Modeler by adding too much detail, as fun as it might be.

v1.31 Changes
-much improved memory consumption during detailing operation
-adjusted user interface, Deviation and Iterations are now together.
-0 for iterations, replace selected polygon with single detail ( this just crashed in earlier versions )

Grab the latest from http://www.liberty3d.com/quadpanels

I've emailed the update to those of you who have bought it, if you haven't received it, please let me know, your email address must have slipped out of my database.

3dWannabe
07-05-2010, 08:03 AM
That said, it is still easy enough to overload Modeler by adding too much detail, as fun as it might be.

Would it be possible to have an option in Quadpanels for those who own HD Instance?

Matt
07-05-2010, 01:12 PM
James, found an issue with the 1.31 update.

If I create a standard LW ball, and run Quadpanels set to random I get the error:

"Line 1061, invalid argument 1 type to extent()"

jameswillmott
07-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Matt, I've heard this from a few people but never came across it myself. I'll have a look at it today.

JamesCurtis
07-05-2010, 10:20 PM

If I create a standard LW ball, and run Quadpanels set to random I get the error:

James,

I came across the same error when I had changed the iterations to 14 using the Random generation mode with no previously made base object - just running the plugin. Worked okay with 8 iterations though. It would also do this after doing panel subdivisions using None after the 2nd quad operation.

Hope this info helps you to nail down this problem.

jameswillmott
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks James...

It's possible Modeler is running out of memory, and it's trying to work with elements that could not be created because there was no memory to store them. That would make sense given the iteration values of 14 would create 16384 panels per selected polygon...

I've put in some checks to hopefully prevent the error message, but I'd like to prevent the cause as opposed to band-aiding the symptom...

Thanks!

JamesCurtis
07-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks James...

It's possible Modeler is running out of memory, and it's trying to work with elements that could not be created because there was no memory to store them. That would make sense given the iteration values of 14 would create 16384 panels per selected polygon...

I've put in some checks to hopefully prevent the error message, but I'd like to prevent the cause as opposed to band-aiding the symptom...

Thanks!

But this is happening with no actual geometry selected/created to begin with. It's just starting from a blank Modeler layer and using None - which creates only the quads themselves.

jameswillmott
07-06-2010, 05:52 AM
But this is happening with no actual geometry selected/created to begin with.

Bizarre... if you can reproduce this fairly regularly and have a few spare minutes do you want to email me to let me know and I'll see if I can resolve the issue directly with you?

JamesCurtis
07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Bizarre... if you can reproduce this fairly regularly and have a few spare minutes do you want to email me to let me know and I'll see if I can resolve the issue directly with you?

Sure! But here is an image composed of 4 screen grabs with notes on it to show what I'm getting. It definitely repeatable on my 64bit system - running Vista Business and using 9.6 Modeler 32bit [most of the plugs I use are 32bit, hence the usage this way]

BTW, I just tried this with 64 bit Modeler 9.6, and it came up with the same error.

I have 6 GB of memory and an ATI 4850 512 MB vid card.

I will email you the same image and a copy of this info.

calilifestyle
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Sure! But here is an image composed of 4 screen grabs with notes on it to show what I'm getting. It definitely repeatable on my 64bit system - running Vista Business and using 9.6 Modeler 32bit [most of the plugs I use are 32bit, hence the usage this way]

BTW, I just tried this with 64 bit Modeler 9.6, and it came up with the same error.

I have 6 GB of memory and an ATI 4850 512 MB vid card.

I will email you the same image and a copy of this info.

yup that's some of the same problems i have been having.

I have 8 gigs ram and win 64.

jameswillmott
07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
It's to do with the Minimum size setting. Set it to 0 and you shouldn't have these problems, but I'll have the fix out shortly.

jameswillmott
07-07-2010, 09:05 AM

This bug should be fixed in the latest version now. The Minimum Size feature wasn't working properly. I'm sending it to everyone who has purchased a copy, but the latest version is also available at http://www.liberty3d.com/quadpanels and attached.

jrandom
07-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Yay!

I shall put it through its paces when I get home from work today.