PDA

View Full Version : Help to understand how Skelegons works

AmigaNewTek
07-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Hello everyone,

trying to learn another anchor of Lightwave.

This time i'm stuck in the skelegons part.
I haven't get how the Skelegons are connected to my objects.
Assuming i have one object only (a creature). I'm trying to create a skelegon for the leg. The process of creating a skelegon must include somewhere a definition that tell that Skelegon is connected with the leg or it's just a manner of place and move the Skelegon in a correct position?

I hope I have given a good explanation of what i mean.

RebelHill
07-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Skeles dont really do all that much... what you're talking about gets done in layout, with bones, not in modeller with skele's.

Skelegons are a way of drawing "bones" in modeller (quiker and easier than creating bones directly in layout imo)... which, when brought into layout can be converted into bones for then maniupulating meshes.

AmigaNewTek
07-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Thank you for the reply.

How can i connect skelegons/bones to a part of an object? By positioning or by setting in a panel/do a sort of association?

Dexter2999
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/CurveSkelegons.mov

Watch this. It may answer some questions for you.

LW_Will
07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Skelegons are ways of drawing bones in modeler, converted to bones in Layout.

Bones are places in the object or are told which object that they influence. (Bones => Properties => "use Bones From Object")

Bones effect every point in a mesh. If there is a bone in your character, it is effecting every point in your character.

This effect can be limited by weight maps, or other bones. (ie. one bone effects every point in a mesh 100%, if you have two bones they effect the points they are closer to more than the other points, but they are 50/50 on the points between the two bones.)

This is a magic of LW. In every other boning system, you must tell the bones which points the effect. In LW, you place the bones and you can go. You can add wmaps or positional hold bones, but you don't have to. You also can swap the mesh that is attached to the bones and animate from there. It really is fascinating.

Here endeth the lesson. ;-)

AmigaNewTek
07-06-2010, 03:06 AM
@LW_Will

thank you for the lesson. If i have an unique object in one layer only, how to put a skelegon or a bone inside a single part of the object? Should i have different layer for different parts of the objects? If i draw skelegons/bones along a tail, for example, the entire object is affected by the tail movement. I just thought that was possible (and natural) in lightwave to connect bones or skelegons to delimited part of an object or a surface.

Using a long tail as example i would like to add a skelegon and child skelegons to the tail only inside the tail polygons itself, maybe with some kind of snapping possibility. As you can see in the image, the skelegons positioning it's little hard (at least for me), I would have had an option to do something like this: select polygons, then... add skelegons inside.

Thank you

LW_Will
07-06-2010, 04:09 AM
You can draw the object starting at the origin point, 0,0,0.

Then on the same layer you can either draw the skelegons, or you could do it on another layer.

Then in Layout, after you convert the skelegons to bones, you can either use the bones inside the tail on the same layer or use the bones from the other layer by selecting the bones (shift-b) and change the top selection to the first layer. This will use the bones in the second layer with the first layer.

Has to how you should use the skelegons, you can use the either way. Some creators, like Splinegod, never use skelegons. I love their flexibility and speed. It just matters how you learn.

there is another concept... when rigging your tail, remember that the first bone should be stationary. the other bones in the tail should be attached to the IK chain... you need to have something to move against. Skelegons are not Parent or Children.

Good luck!

ASCIISkull
07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
If you name the skelegons and create a weight map on the object, when you convert the skelegons to bones the weight mapped points will be associated with the named skelegon.