PDA

View Full Version : Spinquad hosts malware...

akademus
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I assume its not that dramatic, but Google diagnostic says it has ads from some "compress mortage" dodgy site.

They better remove that...

cgisoul
07-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I was surprised too to see an alert from my AV of malware in spinquad last night. "what the hell?".

aurora
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Well that might explain a bizarre error I got last night myself. Will be looking into this today. Thanks for the heads up!

kojean
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the alert. More and more malware is being fed through legit sites. My scanner found something on wikia a few weeks ago.

aurora
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
The problem 'should' be fixed now.
If you do see problems can you please send some info on what exactly you're seeing, preferably screen shots. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
My ESET Smart Security flagged up when I visited too.

aurora
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Matt, when did that happen? Within the last couple hours?

Matt
07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Matt, when did that happen? Within the last couple hours?

No the other day, probably the same one everyone else saw.

To be honest, I rarely visit SpinQuad anymore.

Hopper
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I didn't get any alerts.... but my Spidy senses were tingling. Oh wait... that was the other site. Nevermind .. Doh!

(I don't think it was my Spidy senses that were tingling either...) :D

Silkrooster
07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
No the other day, probably the same one everyone else saw.

To be honest, I rarely visit SpinQuad anymore.

Maybe you could post some suggestions over on spinquad that would give you more of a reason to visit.

Matt
07-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Maybe you could post some suggestions over on spinquad that would give you more of a reason to visit.

To be honest, it was never the same place after William left, I have everything I need on this forum.

Elmar Moelzer
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I have seen malware being spread through regular adds that are in turn coming from add contractors. One black sheep in there can do a lot of harm, I guess. Those add guys should be checking their adds before rotating them though.

codyburke610
07-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Matt, I noticed that William wasn't posting on Spinquad anymore either. Any particular reason why?

-Cody-

littlewaves
07-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I think there's probably just not enough lightwave "news" these days to warrant more than one forum.

People are still doing some interesting stuff with lightwave and posting about it but no-where near so much as a couple of years back with the 9.x cycle in full development.

or that's how I remember it anyway. Might just be rose tinted spectacles?

Probably be more interesting forum activity if Newtek pull some rabbits out of hats at Siggraph. Although from the email I just received it didn't sound too promising.

It's true to say I'm a bit of an old cynic though so here's hoping!

Iain
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

To be honest, there's precious little posted at SQ that isn't a duplication of what's here.

I used to like the challenges but they seemed to lose their way with the ambitious (or was it just a bloated mess?) short story challenge.

The site does have a very friendly atmosphere and that was the appeal to me for a while but the few rotten apples who trolled this forum seem to have gone. Or maybe its just that I spend far less time browsing nowadays to notice :hey:

aurora
07-08-2010, 01:04 PM
If we brought the challenges back would people show up? Naturally, I will always run the Halloween and Winter challenges (and I have a great theme for this years winter challenge that I can't wait to start, its going to be A LOT of fun!) We are talking about mini-challenges and have a nice list of other challenges. We just need to know people will join in. If there are things that we could change to make them even more appealing just let us know. We love to listen and give what people ask for. We just need to know what it is.

[EDIT] And yes there will also always be the annual Christmas Ball event that is just a fun exploration into HRA (High Recursion Art).
When a certain plugin of mine for a certain future version of LW becomes available I plan on adding another Christmas Ball type of event into play as well.

codyburke610
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I joined both Newtek, and Spinquad Forums at the same time about 5 years ago. I never had a particular liking for either or, but I have always seemed to post to Spinquad, just because of the environment. Everyone is very friendly and always comments on your WIP's whether you're just starting out or not. Not to say that nobody does here, but I guess it's just a personal preference.

-Cody-

Iain
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
People love challenges but they have to be simple. It has to be something you can take part in by just devoting a few hours.

The speed modelling challenges here are sometimes non-events because of a difficult topic or because the modelling time is upped to 2 hours. You just don't want it to interfere with your life anymore than a hobby normally would.

OnlineRender
07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
People love challenges but they have to be simple. It has to be something you can take part in by just devoting a few hours.

The speed modelling challenges here are sometimes non-events because of a difficult topic or because the modelling time is upped to 2 hours. You just don't want it to interfere with your life anymore than a hobby normally would.

Agreed , but i think NT should take a little more interested sometimes , some of the amazing work created by urself ,Richard and others , shows that LW is powerfull and fast . . .and should be rewarded somehow

even maybe once a year , a 3 stage event , model , animate , render "sure ive heard that somewhere before :) " the prize being CORE or a T-shirt *chuckles to himself " . . .

Iain
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Agreed , but i think NT should take a little more interested sometimes

Yep as it is, we can't even get a dedicated forum subheading. No wonder the challenges get lost.

Oh well.........

Titus
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Agreed , but i think NT should take a little more interested sometimes , some of the amazing work created by urself ,Richard and others , shows that LW is powerfull and fast . . .and should be rewarded somehow

even maybe once a year , a 3 stage event , model , animate , render "sure ive heard that somewhere before :) " the prize being CORE or a T-shirt *chuckles to himself " . . .

Do you remember the last NT sponsored contest? the one with a dancing robot as a winner?

OnlineRender
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Do you remember the last NT sponsored contest? the one with a dancing robot as a winner?

LIGHTWAVE CONTEST and "THAT" STIGMA ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

you mean that one ?? best not go there :rock: ,

ye but different team now, 3 people should judge the final 5 contenstants and it should be put to an open vote , you know actually use some of they smart people they have there and market a little . .

where the LIGHTWAVE mini ....eh ?

:P

Titus
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
LIGHTWAVE CONTEST and "THAT" STIGMA ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

you mean that one ?? best not go there :rock: ,

ye but different team now, 3 people should judge the final 5 contenstants and it should be put to an open vote , you know actually use some of they smart people they have there and market a little . .

:P

Yeah, that one!

They should pick known artists as judges, and no open vote.

OnlineRender
07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
its should be ROB , Proton and another figure head , somebody from Dave school or someone of that nature , Jim Cammeron would be nice , you know use your contacts and all that :) ...

they riddle it down to the top 5 , then it goes to open vote . .

*30 seconds max video ...

Silkrooster
07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
To be honest, it was never the same place after William left, I have everything I need on this forum.

Yeah I think most of us miss having William around. He certainly had a knack for attracting friends...

Matt, I noticed that William wasn't posting on Spinquad anymore either. Any particular reason why?

-Cody-

Cody, this is an issue that is between William and Wes, and it wouldn't be nice to mention anything without their permission. Sorry for being vague, but i hope you understand...

codyburke610
07-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I understand completely and probably shouldn't have mentioned it, as I am not in the position to be nosy about it, just didn't know if it was a personal preference, or not.

-Cody-

Silkrooster
07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't worry about it. Its natural to be curious.

littlewaves
07-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Cody, this is an issue that is between William and Wes, and it wouldn't be nice to mention anything without their permission. Sorry for being vague, but i hope you understand...

well y'know really you've not been THAT vague there now have you?

I mean for anyone who like myself kind of assumed he was maybe just busy (with Modo?), you've pretty much now confirmed it was a falling out with Wes.
:D

littlewaves
07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm such a stirrer

Shnoze Shmon
07-09-2010, 07:46 AM
:newtek::newtek::newtek::newtek:
Yep as it is, we can't even get a dedicated forum subheading. No wonder the challenges get lost.

Oh well.........:newtek::newtek::newtek::newtek:

:agree:

Just making that post more visible.

Kuzey
07-09-2010, 07:57 AM
The reeeeeeeeeeeeeeed is hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrting my eyeeeesssssss.....please Newtek, ban red as an option for text.

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Mmm...William is doing youtube videos now, when they were always hosted on Newtek's site in the past....seems like there might be something there as well.

btw...William, can you also post future videos to vimeo as well...not everyone can view youtube :hey:

Kuzey

Elmar Moelzer
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Besides Vimeo videos are of a much higher quality than the crappy Youtube. They downed the quality of videos even further now. My videos used to be 480p and the lowered them to 360. As if 480 wasnt already crappy enough. 720p HD on Youtube looks like the normal quality on Vimeo.

Shnoze Shmon
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
The reeeeeeeeeeeeeeed is hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrting my eyeeeesssssss.....please Newtek, ban red as an option for text.

Ok that should hurt less and further draw attention to it.:)

Titus
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok that should hurt less and further draw attention to it.:)

Make them blink!

geothefaust
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Makes sense. It's a common theme really.

geothefaust
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I never really liked spinquad because of all the advertisements. I hate being blasted with sales crap. I mean, all of those ads... Am I really going to buy insurance from a sloppy looking banner on a CG site? Methinks no. :stop:

aurora
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I never really liked spinquad because of all the advertisements. I hate being blasted with sales crap. I mean, all of those ads... Am I really going to buy insurance from a sloppy looking banner on a CG site? Methinks no. :stop:

In some ways I totally agree with you. But the ads pay for the server and data storage. Money for that kind of stuff has to come from somewhere because sadly everything is so danged expensive. If there were other ways to pay for it it would be done.

However how do those ads really distract you from the forums and other things? Other then taking time for loading? Not being argumentative, I/we are actually desirous to know yours and others opinions. I'll explain why more in a new thread in the morning.

geothefaust
07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
In some ways I totally agree with you. But the ads pay for the server and data storage. Money for that kind of stuff has to come from somewhere because sadly everything is so danged expensive. If there were other ways to pay for it it would be done.

However how do those ads really distract you from the forums and other things? Other then taking time for loading? Not being argumentative, I/we are actually desirous to know yours and others opinions. I'll explain why more in a new thread in the morning.

Understood! I actually used a script blocker browse SQ when I wanted to visit it, after a while... Frankly, I just don't like most adverts, at all! I'd rather pay for access to a website than see ads. Unfortunately though I rarely use LW enough anymore to justify visiting multiple LW websites. I only use LW for modeling ATM.

geothefaust
07-09-2010, 11:55 PM
:agree: It's either this or people PAY to use the site. And this would be difficult as well since you never know how many people would PAY to use the site. The ads never bothered me in the past and they don't bother me now - I hardly ever notice them.

I'd pay for access to a site, if it meant no ads.

I hate ads being thrown in my face. I don't read magazines or watch TV because of it. On websites, like I said in my previous post, I use a script blocker that blocks 99.9% of ads and other like things.

I hate ads.

I hate ads.

aurora
07-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I started a new thread about SQ. geothefaust and others would you mind posting exactly would you posted here, there as well. I seriously want to hear and listen to what you all have to say!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110498

Thank you