PDA

View Full Version : The Last Airbender: Thoughts

m4a2000
06-30-2010, 03:46 PM
See as the movie will come out to night at midnight I would like to ask if anyone here is going to see it. I have high hopes about the movie, but I have this feeling something is going to make me hate this movie and I really don't want to.

shrox
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
The "Last" Anything is a pretty lame start, maybe The Last Gingerbread House on the Left would be good.

Most of these new comics and characters are just retreads to me. Same story, same villains, same unrealistic moves and hits that would kill a real person, high jumping without the inertia, fairly lightweight objects or people crushing pavement...ho hum.

JeffrySG
06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I watched the first season of the cartoon and thought it was pretty good. I'm curious to see how much of the series will be in the movie. The story definitely has potential. I'm also curious to see how M.Night does with his first movie that isn't his own.

GraphXs
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
The cartoon is wonderful! I'm not sure how I feel about the movie. What I like about the cartoon is the character development and also the humor mix with the action and serious parts. Very well done. If you have Netflix you can watch the seasons of Avatar: the last air bender. Well worth it! As for the movie......not sure it will be as good.

borkus
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I have little hope in that I haven't liked a single movie that M. Night has put out yet. The Wicker man was just ridiculous and that one of the amash community was just as bad. Both had potential but just fell apart. He builds you up towards the end of the movie and then you're left thinking, "What the...?"

StereoMike
07-01-2010, 12:36 AM
He builds you up towards the end of the movie and then you're left thinking, "What the...?"

But that's exactly what he is all about (and for what ppl commend him).
I didn't like all of his movies as well, but the village was nice for me.

Dexter2999
07-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I'll wait to see Airbender on Blu Ray.

As for Shyamalan, I liked UNBREAKABLE, SIXTH SENSE, and LADY IN THE WATER. The rest were a waste of time.

BigHache
07-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Love em or hate em, i think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7luMp6lb9M) pretty much sums up Shyamalan's movies…

aurora
07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
And then.... LOL I think I have been there!

Chris S. (Fez)
07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
The rottenest rottentomatoes reviews ever...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

shrox
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I should mention that I was referring to live action adaptations of comic books. Part of what worked for me when read comics was the fact that it hadn't been contained in a visually realistic universe. That's what throws it off for me, the motions just don't work in the real world, and when a movies goes for visual realism without an explanation like The Matrix had, I just can't "suspend my belief" that far.

m4a2000
07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Just saw the movie... 8/:eek::cry:

... I was hoping... I just can'T see how he made such a great cartoon turn into THAT!

KurtF
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Given that it was a graphic novel - and then a television series, it would be very hard to compress that kind of scope into a two (or longer) hour movie.

Still I'll catch it on Saturday. Hope it's fun.

Matt
07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Lost all interest in M. Night's movies after "The Happening" Sixth Sense was his finest hour.

jameswillmott
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Lost all interest in M. Night's movies after "The Happening" Sixth Sense was his finest hour.

Unbreakable wasn't terrible, but I agree Sixth Sense was great. I just don't understand why he keeps getting films to direct... still riding on Sixth Sense's coattails?

Dexter2999
07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I think one of the biggest cop outs is "it's for kids". It is an excuse film makers use to cover up a lack of story/character developement. When all they have is a string of eye candy, they fall back on "it's for kids"...because apparently kids don't need or expect good stories. (That would be sarcasm.)

Matt
07-02-2010, 01:40 AM
Unbreakable wasn't terrible, but I agree Sixth Sense was great. I just don't understand why he keeps getting films to direct... still riding on Sixth Sense's coattails?

Yeah Unbreakable was not bad, could have been really good but it stopped just when it was getting good, and took a while to get there.

Sam Jackson was good in that film.

m4a2000
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Now it's a few days later and I still don't have words for this movie. The writing was bad, the cast was worse then bad, and there are parts in this movie that make me want to go watch 'Twilight' stuff... :eek: :twak: ... Luckly I've cleared that thought from my head. As for the 3D, which was done in post, it just makes the movie darker and and blury.

with a score of 8% from Rotten Tomatoes I believe this movie will win many Razzies. I think Charlie Jane Anders put it best, "'Wow, this makes Dragonball Evolution look like a masterpiece."

The only thing left to say is :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: M. Night Shamalamadingdong :censored: :censored: :censored: with a spoon!

... I feel so cheated by this movie...

Sekhar
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
For all the horrendous reviews and buzz, it seems to be doing OK at the box office - http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastairbender.htm. Brand effect may be (MNS and Airbender).

hrgiger
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Not really too excited about it. I'm still angry about The Happening.

Dexter2999
07-04-2010, 10:49 PM
For all the horrendous reviews and buzz, it seems to be doing OK at the box office - http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastairbender.htm. Brand effect may be (MNS and Airbender).

It is going to do "OK" to a degree because it has a built in audience of children eager to see it and children usually mean parents...so the average ticket sale is three or four.

erikals
07-05-2010, 07:48 AM
how to know if the movie is worth it> make someone else evaluate it first...

Shyamalan looks to be like Lucas, an ok writer but a horrible director.

cgisoul
07-05-2010, 08:06 AM
with a score of 8% from Rotten Tomatoes I believe this movie will win many Razzies. I think Charlie Jane Anders put it best, "'Wow, this makes Dragonball Evolution look like a masterpiece."

Coff... coff.. xcuse moi, but Dragonball was truly a masterpiece! (sarcasm)

Was Airbender really that bad? I haven't seen it yet...

I actually managed to convince my wife that Twilight was bad and got low rating. Believe me, I spent tons of times trying to convince her, at the end, she believed me and we ended up watching Knight movie from Tom Cruise, which end up being another :cursin: .
You don't understand, I had no choice but to lie for my own sake.

Movies I am looking forward to see this year:

Megamind
Rio
Toy Story
Despicable Me
Rango
The sorcerer's apprentice

Dexter2999
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Movies I am looking forward to see this year:

The sorcerer's apprentice

Really?...I think that movie will be "okay" at best.

I am looking forward to DISPICABLE ME and RANGO. TOY STORY 3 was good. I think the only other movie I am really looking forward to right now is the next HARRY POTTER.

erikals
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
well, there is always,.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhSogGnu4I

Sekhar
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
It is going to do "OK" to a degree because it has a built in audience of children eager to see it and children usually mean parents...so the average ticket sale is three or four.

Yeah, but it also means nobody cares what critics say any more. If anything, getting beat up is actually great for building buzz - the harder you get trashed, the better. Or the "so bad, it's good" rule.

Cageman
07-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Not really too excited about it. I'm still angry about The Happening.

Haha... I really like that movie. :) I guess I will like The Last Airbender as well... :)

KurtF
07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I liked The Last Airbender. Some parts felt a little rushed. Some of the dialog was stale. And it was still fun. I liked the casting for the uncle and the fire nation's king. I also liked that this is just the first of several movies. They brought the avatar through learning to control the first and second of the 4 elements. FX and environments/design were top notch. The entry of the Avatar into the spirit world was well done.

Sure, some weak parts, but also a lot to like.

warrenwc
07-05-2010, 02:18 PM

You bad man!:ohmy:
I recently saw "Monsturd"
http://www.4321films.com/monsturd/index.html
& actually enjoyed it a lot.
Too bad about Airbender.

GregMalick
07-05-2010, 05:41 PM
LastAirbender is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

There is some highly questionable casting:

Aasif Mandvi from the Daily Show was a horrible villain. almost every time he spoke, I laughed. Not enough ethnic characters playing roles either.

But overall about the same as watching Prince of Persia except I liked LA's FX better.

calilifestyle
07-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I enjoyed the movie. My daughter and nephew did to. Not sure but i didn't care much for anything they might have removed from the cartoon show. After all if i wanted to watch the toon well i can. I'm really hoping the push for the next 2.

cgisoul
07-05-2010, 08:29 PM

lol... and I though I have seen the worse.

Well, here's the best one ever, a "flying" shark... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o&feature=related

radams
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I enjoyed the movie. My daughter and nephew did to. Not sure but i didn't care much for anything they might have removed from the cartoon show. After all if i wanted to watch the toon well i can. I'm really hoping the push for the next 2.

Well, my wife and I just saw the movie...and it was okay...no it wasn't a great movie...but it wasn't the worst we've seen this summer (unfortunately).

It could have been great...but as others had mentioned, many of the actors were stone, and the dialog needed some help...and the story and editing jumped around too much....leaving huge gaps...and not allowing the story to build the characters.

But with all that said...it was still okay...and we had a good time.

The actor who played the Uncle of the fire benders was very good...the best actor...and he did a good performance. The set/production/FX design though was very nice...some good some okay...but it was wonderful to see.

I hope that they do make the other two movies...but I would suggest not using M Knight to direct them. Get Nolan or someone who could focus the story and the characters...and give the right amount of time and development to the story and the characters...vs...using FXs to cover.

Cheers,