PDA

View Full Version : Round Motion Paths

Holdesta
06-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Is there a way to set indiviual origins...as in I have a moon orbiting an earth, but I have 20 sets of them. So is there a way to set moon 1's origin to Earth 1's center?

Is there a position editor other than numeric move?

If you have three spheres, and you want one to cirle the other two in a eliplical path...what's the best way to set the curved keyfarmes?

Please and Thankyou :)

Cageman
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Study the scene I have provided. It might give you an idea of one of many ways to set it up.

Just load it and hit play to see what is going on.

Cheers!

EDIT: Noticed that I had applied the pointconstrain at frame 100 instead of frame 0. *doh* Changed the attachment.

:)

Dexter2999
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Not sure exactly what you want.
You could parent the moon to the earth.

Or...

maybe use two nulls, keyframe one in a to and fro motion, key the second to a rotation,
combined that could make your ellipse

or something like that.

Good Luck

Holdesta
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks so much for the advice....I think if I just apply a spline curve as the motion path I'll get what I want.

Is there and easy way to convert points of a selected geometry into a spline?

EX I have a perfect elipse bisecting both of my spheres and now I want to just use the outer points to create a spline path.

nickdigital
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
You can select the points and use the Make Curve button. Though if you're motion path is just an ellipse it's probably be easier to do it in Layout. This way you can use the Graph Editor to change the timing.

But the spline path option is definitely possible.

On a side note if you ever draw a motion path you like but need to control the animation along it in a very specific manner the pathAnimationIA script is very useful.

http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1743

Holdesta
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
You always give me clear answers :)

How would I go about making a perfect elipse motion path in Layout?

nickdigital
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Something like this might help. The ellipse isn't perfect but you can adjust the motion of the ellipse null to get it to do what you want.

Dexter2999
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
What I was trying to suggest.
Not the most scientific but simple.