PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Vs Maya

Tails
09-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Maya seems to be the program of choice for a lot of companies these days... what do you guys think of it?

Any major advantages / disadvantages compared to Lightwave?

3DSmax is another one that places seem to use a lot.

knuckles644
09-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Maya is used a lot for games and videos because it has realistic particle collisions and junk and 3D Studio Max...well, that's just kind've like Lightwave on steroids I guess:D

toby
09-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by knuckles644 3D Studio Max...well, that's just kind've like Lightwave on steroids I guess:D [/B]

It's more like Lightwave on Laxatives. Modeling, way more complicated and less flexible. Surfacing, 10 times more complicated and less powerful. Rendering, well it's fine if not worried about looking really good.

But it's great for companies that already use AutoCad, or for people who haven't heard of or used Lightwave - I almost bought it myself four years ago. *whew*

knuckles644
09-16-2003, 01:32 AM
lol. That makes me feel better about not having the money for 3DSMax.:)

toby
09-16-2003, 01:46 AM
oh yea, and it costs $2000 more - pay more, get less

Matt
09-16-2003, 02:07 AM
the plugin renderers for Max look very nice though.

toby
09-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Yes they do - that'll be another $1600 please!

Final Render beats LW for Radiosity speed, but not much more - and I don't think Brazil supports displacement

meshmaster
09-16-2003, 10:16 AM
if you are really interested in max, go ahead and download gmax... I'm sure you'll be crawling back to lightwave before you know it.

lasco
09-16-2003, 12:39 PM
again here we are with who or what is the best…

there is NO best !

there are best for some things that are not for others…

again if you need to know why one should chose LW or Maya or 3DS,
here's a link that should be always on top of the forum list I guess…

http://www.zaon.org/showthread.php?threadid=299

I quote the part about Lightwave but the whole page is very interesting…

" In some ways, Lightwave is the best all-around solution available. It's stable, can deal with large complex scenes, has a full suite of toolsets, and is very affordable at $1,595. Its built-in renderer is the best of any 3d application's built-in renderers except for SoftImage's MentalRay, usable for production right out of the box. Rendering options now include advanced features such as global illumination. Lightwave is used for Star Trek effects (such as Voyager), and many other television visuals pretty much as-is out of the box. Lightwave is relatively easy to learn, is divided into modeling and animation packages (both a pro and a con, but mostly a pro), and well-supported. The downside is that it's motion blur is not the best by a long shot, and advanced renderer features such as global illumination are unusually slow. Still, if your needs are not as extravagant as highend film effects or you can't stomach the idea of managing technical aspects of RenderMan and multiple pipeline translations needed for a Maya+PRMan solution, then my advice is to buy Lightwave. I believe it's the best bang for your buck, and the best all-around solution for any hobbyist or professional outside of a major film studio. Another downside to Lightwave, if you plan on using RenderMan, is a lack of support for RenderMan. An independent LightMan RIB exporter exists, but please note that due to Lightwave's internal structure that many advanced RenderMan features are non-attainable. For example, there is no way to export sub-division surfaces as true curves, meaning RenderMan will receive polygonal curve/edge approximations only."