PDA

View Full Version : LiveType and StatCrew, XML/HTML???

dwatson
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
We are a small school, sports webcasting, with Studio/LiveText.(just purchased) Our sports dept. uses StatCrew software to host live stats on all the sports. I do not want to duplicate effort and want to try and pull their html or xml to drive my scoreboard key for the broadcast (webcast) I have searched the forums with little success. Any Help?

ZachSchuster
06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
My school is in a similar situation. We are developing some software internally to take player stats, team stats, and some other things that StatCrew spits out and converts it to keys and values for LiveText. We are not sure if we will make this software available outside our school.

We are doing it for the very reason you suggest... fast and up to date stats on the game, without duplicating labor efforts.

A possible suggestion is to contact your alumni department to see if they have any alum who are in the software industry. You might be able to get them to develop a quick and dirty converter application to take the XML data and spit it out as keys and values.

dwatson
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I found some info in the thread "Datalink and XML".... any more ideas?

ZachSchuster
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
As I re-rerad your initial message, I see that you are mostly interested in scoreboard information. I'd suggest to you keep this in mind: StatCrew XML files do not contain LIVE gameclocks. It will give you scores, but the best you get for clock information is the clock time at the end of the play, at least that has been my experience.

If all you want is the ability to spit out the score for LiveText, that is probably a very, very easy script for someone to develop.

That might even be something that our developer could make as a free application to the Newtek community. I will see what I can find out. No guarantees.

ZachSchuster
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
dwatson: Are you thinking of doing this through LiveText, or have a full screen iVGA output where the screen is green, except for the scoring bar, and then you key out the green?

dwatson
07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
I would like to pull stats from StatCrew through LiveType. I'm thinking xml? Clock is not a big deal, but having different LiveType pages that pull detail stats to be used at different time during a broadcast. IE soccer, goal, assists, shots on goal, yellow/red cards, player minutes, etc.

ZachSchuster
07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Can you clarify the program you are using? I am not familiar with "LiveTYPE." I Googled it and see that it is an Apple program. Is this the same thing you are using? If so, I'm not sure it will work with the Tricaster. On the other hand, LiveTEXT will.

You're still looking at some type of program or script that will take the StatCrew XML file and convert the data into keys and values that LiveText can read.

For example, (and this is VERY simplified!) the XML file will have something like:

vscore "2"
hscore "5"

where vscore is the visiting score and hscore is the home score. Something (program, application, script, etc...) needs to be continually reading the XML file to find those bits of data, then save them into a text file that LiveText can read. The text file would have the following:

vscore = 2
hscore = 5

vscore and hscore are keys, and the 2 anf 5 are values. When the XML file shows the scores change, the intermediate program updates the text file.

In LiveText, you would create a page that will reference vscore and hscore, and when the values (scores) change, the page will update live.

Looking at the football XML files, some thing you could do this with a script, as the XML file stores team stats to compare between teams (ie. rushing yards, turnovers, etc...). However, pulling leader boards is much different. The XML file stores stats by player, so there is no one location in the file that says "Player A is ranked 1st in rushing yards, Player B is second, etc..." An application must look at the player stats and sort which has the most rushing yards, then output a text file that would have some generic keys like:

vrushleader1name = Steve Bowie
vrushleader1yards = 42
vrushleader2name = Andrew Cross
vrushleader2yards = 34
etc...

I have not had a chance to look at the soccer XML file recently, so don't know if the stats you are interested are immediately available, or must be calculated by a third party application.

Bottom line is this: To get the live data from the XML file that StatCrew generates into something that LiveText can read, some type of realtime conversion MUST occur into a new text file. There is no product on the open market that I am familiar with that will do this. Plus, such an application will need to be a little different for each sport you want to support. StatCrew XML files are for the most part pretty similar in structure, but each sport has different stats and any conversion application will need to account for the subtle differences.

I wish I had better news. :(

dwatson
07-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Sorry, we use both Mac and PCs here, LiveType on the Mac and FinalCut Pro, just now getting into Studio and LiveText.

Thanks for the help. Soccer season is up first, so I'll get some programming help and post update.

Phil Dowden
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
As I re-rerad your initial message, I see that you are mostly interested in scoreboard information. I'd suggest to you keep this in mind: StatCrew XML files do not contain LIVE gameclocks. It will give you scores, but the best you get for clock information is the clock time at the end of the play, at least that has been my experience.

If all you want is the ability to spit out the score for LiveText, that is probably a very, very easy script for someone to develop.

That might even be something that our developer could make as a free application to the Newtek community. I will see what I can find out. No guarantees.

I noticed this is from a few years ago..but was wondering if anyone had made any headway on this? We are going to try and do this through iVGA output in powerpoint and key out the green.

m4a2000
12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
What's the data you want on the screen? Is it just the score and time or do you have more stats like player number and foul count?

ZachSchuster
12-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I've had pretty good luck using Excel to do XML conversion. I'm not keen on sharing it because it's quirky enough that I know I'd be fielding support emails. That being said, I still want to develop this in to a marketable product, but have not yet found a programmer to help me... If you know of anyone...