PDA

View Full Version : this boolean ...

spinn
09-15-2003, 02:39 PM
do anyone know how to solve the "unable to regenerate contour. (this may be caused by highly non-planar polygons)"-issue?
what makes me sick is that i'm not trying to drill a hole in a non-planar, nor does i have one in the entire model... please give me an answer that doesn't include re-building the object from scratch. :(

chers.

trentonia
09-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Try shifting your drill object by a fraction of a mm. That should take care of it.

spinn
09-15-2003, 03:30 PM
thanks for the tip.. but it didn't work.... :( :( :(

fxnut
09-15-2003, 03:49 PM
First thing I'd do would be to check the model statistics and make sure that there's nothing unusual going on (non-planars, 1 & 2 point polys etc.), but I'm guessing you've already done that.

Something else that could cause problems are double sided/coincident polygons (not the double sided surface attribute, but having multiple polygons using exactly the same points). Do a "Unify Polygons" to get rid of these. If it unifies any polys, you might want to do an "Align" afterwards.

You might want to try aligning your polygons anyway. (I don't know if misaligned polygon normals could cause problems with booleans, but it's worth a go.)

Failing that, try doing a "merge points". If it works after that, you might have some points on a polygon that are very close together which are causing problems. You'll then have to "undo" and figure out which ones are being problematic.

That's about all I can come up with (apart from Trentonia's tip). If none of these work, then try doing a boolean on a copy of a sub section of the object and seeing if that works. If it doesn't then try a smaller subsection - keep going till it works. It should at least let you know where it's going wrong and help you narrow it down.

Alternatively, why not post the object here so we can have a look?

Regards

Andy

omeone
09-15-2003, 04:45 PM
This happened me before, closing down all 3 LW apps and reopening fixes it, but the problem just keeps coming back after doing a little bit more work - it's like having a corrupt file, I really dont know.

I fixed mine in the end (after trying the same moves fxnut suggests) by carefully selecting the geometry using Expand selected tool only (no lasso's or painting in wireframe view or Sel connected) and cutting and pasting the geometries in little pieces to a new file.

It may have been a bit heavy handed, but it did solve the problem for me.

lasco
09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Added to Andy's advices (and unless you have a file issue like omeone's),
yes, alignment of points or polys often causes boolean troubles.
But polygones cointaing too many points (tens of points) also,
even if they should not theorically and even if they're absolutely planar.

Oftenly you just need to triple or to just cut some disturbing polys
few times at the good place and the boolean / drill works fine…