PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had toys made?

Stunt Pixels
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey, had anyone got little toys/keyring made of a 3d character? Thinking along the lines of the stuff you get with kids meals from Macdonalds....

I'm wondering what the process is - and hopefully, rough costs...

Titus
06-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Proton made a toy from his Tofu character.

akademus
06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
We have some in the company... quite cool

Stunt Pixels
06-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks, I thought of Proton, but he did a very cool collectible toy. I'm more thinking of a cheaper produced promotional little thing to give away - hence the comparison with McDonalds, and not kidrobot.com... Mmm, kidrobot, maybe time to buy some more T-Shirts...

Cheers

Titus
06-29-2010, 06:27 AM
I remember an anecdote from an employee at Pixar. He wanted to know if it was possible to make a very cheap toy with the famous Utah teapot, and contacted several companies, the only one to reply was a chinese toy factory. The company asked for a file with the teapot and his credit card number, a few months later thousands of walking teapots arrived to Pixar, he wanted only a couple dozens. Now they are givig away these teapots every year at siggraph.

BlueApple
06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Are you making 1 or 100? There's 3D printing options, injection molding... lots to choose from. I recommend 3D printing if you're just doing one or two.

Search the ZBrush forum for 3D printing and you'll see some different choices. If you're making something small (approx. five inches in height) you may pay around $200. Factors that will impact cost are design complexity, scale, finish (will it be custom painted based on a color guide?)

Good luck.

Dexter2999
06-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Are you making 1 or 100? There's 3D printing options, injection molding... lots to choose from. I recommend 3D printing if you're just doing one or two.

Search the ZBrush forum for 3D printing and you'll see some different choices. If you're making something small (approx. five inches in height) you may pay around $200. Factors that will impact cost are design complexity, scale, finish (will it be custom painted based on a color guide?)

Good luck.

That sounds like a "one off" option.
Like any production item there will be a setup/tooling fee. Then the cost per unit usually goes down with larger and larger runs until you get to a point where the manufacturer covers labor, material costs, and a reasonable profit.

Keychains or little "doo dads" will still require a set up fee that will probably be a labor intensive process of making multiple single copies that will be used to make a mass production mold. Suggested materials would be rubber or injection molded plastic.

But yeah, China is going to be cheap route most likely.

gordonp
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Shapeways.com

hunter
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Shapeways.com

Had a couple of things made there. fast and reasonably priced and offers full color printing too.