PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 7.5 to 8

Chris Partridge
09-15-2003, 02:27 PM
If I bought LightWave 7.5 this week, will I lose out on the deal to upgrade to 8 later this year for free? I understand that promotion finished today. I live in the UK. Thanks in advance.

Chris Partridge
09-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Some good news: just seen the onevideo.net site and they have anniunced that the special price deal with free upgrade to Version 8 is being extended until the end of September. Nice :)

Chris Partridge
09-18-2003, 02:41 PM
And I now have Lightwave installed and running. Eek...what do I do next, lol.

Dodgy
09-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Ummm, read allllll the manual before doing anything else :)

LOL

Chris Partridge
09-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Dodgy

LOL

Yes, but that is one FRIGHTENING manual!

Dodgy
09-18-2003, 05:36 PM
There are also lots of tutorials on this and at www.flay.com, a source of all things LW...

Rory_L
09-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy

LOL

Boooooring!!! Dive straight into Modeler and make a spaceship and render it with massive lense flares all over it. Then whisper very quietly to yourself, "Ron Thornton, eat your heart out!":D

Um, maybe not! But you could get the Inside Lightwave (n) book by Dan Ablan. A good friend of mine gave me a copy and I haven`t looked back since!

Cheers,

R

Chris Partridge
09-20-2003, 03:05 AM
Well, here's an update: I have rendered a 1000 frame animation of the DC10 flying in blue skies over where-ever...that was fun...just need to find out now how to animate the clouds and the ground too. Also been following a few of the tutorials on the newtek site here. And I have ordered Dan Alban's Inside Lightwave 7 book (that is his latest isn't it, apart from 8 that comes out this autumn?)

Pooka
09-22-2003, 04:30 AM
Here you can find also tons of information.
Lightwave Tutorials on the web (http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm)

Bionic Antboy
09-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm with everyone who's posted.

The site Pooka mentions is a great resource for all kinds of tutorials that will, over time take you through just about every aspect of Lightwave.

Dan Ablan's book is a great place to start, as it takes you through the process step by step and let's you get a chance to "grok" the concepts behind LW.

Beyond the book, the site Pooka mentioned is a great resource for furthering your knowledge on other aspects, and flay.com is a great reference for not only tutorials, but additonal plugins (both free and commercial) that can enhance your productivity greatly.

I'd recommend checking out flay.com on a regular basis.

The manual, at least for me, has been more of a reference, and definitely handy to have around, but not so much as a tutorial for learning.

As Rory_L said, do something not TOO complex first, like a spaceship :) It's a good way to play with all the different aspects in a relatively short period of time. :) And it's fun :)

Chris Partridge
09-22-2003, 09:43 AM
@Pooka: Thanks will check it out

@Bionic: Yes, I have to confess at the moment feeling "overwhelmed" by Lightwave...must try to sort out some kind of method to learn it properly...

WizCraker
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Speaking of manuals. I sure like how Eyeon included a project based tutorial book with DFX+ The first 8 chapters can be done with DFX+ and a few of the advance chapters need the Paint & Roto Modual and the Particle Modual. I think Newtek should take a look at this approach. Every part of the tutorial book covers something that you would run across in actual use. This is just a thought of course.

connect-usa
10-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I've been struggling with Lightwave for more than a year, buying books, videos, downloading tutorials, etc. Newtek would like you to think that its just a question of logging in one's time and effort before they master LW. But I think the user interface is simply poorly engineered. Here's one suggestion - Why can't there be a mere HELP button on the top of the screen in Layout and Modeler where one can type in a word (e.g., a command) and receive brief instructions on where to locate the command and other info on how it works?

Also, why can't there be a "plug-in" help button that explains how each LW plugin (shipped with LW) is accessed and what it does? A help button and plug-in explanation, are simple user interface tools that Newtek could put in place once and for all, and be done with it. Instead, one has to surf the web looking for 3rd party tutorials and explanations.

This is an incredible piece of software. I genuinely love it. But there seems to be no one at Newtek thinking about facilitating the user interface.

gjjackson
10-06-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking there are a number of scene files that would help understand much. Also if you have 7.5c there is a help file in html format where you can do searches etc. It's much better than the older pdf format.

Matt
10-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by connect-usa
This is an incredible piece of software. I genuinely love it. But there seems to be no one at Newtek thinking about facilitating the user interface.

I think about the user interface waaaay too much!!! :)

mlinde
10-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Why can't there be a mere HELP button on the top of the screen in Layout and Modeler where one can type in a word (e.g., a command) and receive brief instructions on where to locate the command and other info on how it works?
The only problem with this is that Lightwave Menus and Keys are infinitely customizable. I suppose it would be OK if NT actually put effort into organizing commands and buttons, but most often new features just get thrown in an "accessories" or "other" menu drop list.
I do like the idea of help that gives specific information about commands, how they work, whether they are "numerically" challenged, and such. I just think the location would have to be flexible, maybe saying "in default installations button X is on tab Y, under the Z heading"

connect-usa
10-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I agree. But there has got to be a way to bring such a powerful piece of software to a more user friendly state. Stop and think about it, if the software can do what it does, making a simple little help / info button ought to be easy.

Sooner ro later either Maya or Lightwave's designers are going to figure out that sales are being limited by the steep learning curve. There is a large market out there of people who only want to use the software part-time. These people need a more intuitive interface. Whichever vendor figures this out first, will sweep the market. I just hope its Newtek, given my investment in time and money thus far.

Chris Partridge
10-15-2003, 01:32 AM
I agree. But there has got to be a way to bring such a powerful piece of software to a more user friendly state. Stop and think about it, if the software can do what it does, making a simple little help / info button ought to be easy.

Sooner ro later either Maya or Lightwave's designers are going to figure out that sales are being limited by the steep learning curve. There is a large market out there of people who only want to use the software part-time. These people need a more intuitive interface. Whichever vendor figures this out first, will sweep the market. I just hope its Newtek, given my investment in time and money thus far.

Absolutely right...couldn't agree more: I'm finding the learning curve vertical, and IMO it shouldn't be this way.

WizCraker
10-15-2003, 02:15 AM
Alias has always added a comprehensive Help button in their software here is a screen shot from Maya 5 (http://www.imagereality.com/Images/NewtekImages/Maya5/Maya5Help.jpg), Notice the Help button, I opened a few of the windows that can be accessed from the program. If you notice the learning videos on the right they tell new users how to navigate Maya's interface.

Newtek should take note to this for new users. I said this for 6 and 7.