PDA

View Full Version : Ray traced shadows not working and volumetric light question.

Dreamcube017
06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm a newcomer to lightwave and the community... After all the waiting, I'm happy to be able to post because I have a question.

When I create an object and try to render it with a standard distant light... there are no shadows.

The object is set to recieve shadows and the light is set to ray traced, but it doesn't work. Shadow maps work on the spotlights, but raytraced just don't work.

I've been tinkering with lightwave for about a week now and I've gotten some pretty good global illumination to work which is a lot more complex than normal shadows, so I can't figure out why normal shadows won't work.

I'm using the demo version so I don't have a lot of time left to toy with it.

Oh, also, is there a way to get the volumetric light to be blocked by objects? For example, I have sunlight coming into a room and I only want the beam to come through the windows, but it just shoots into the room through the walls and everything.

Is there anyway to fix that? Should it work automatically?

Thanks.

speismonqui
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
you need to turn on raytraced shadows in the render globals panel, they're off by default.

Maxx
06-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Turning on Ray Trace Shadows in the Render Globals panel should take care of your volumetric lighting issue as well.

Dreamcube017
06-29-2010, 06:59 AM
AHA thanks a TON. I was sitting there just staring at the screen with anger. lol

Hmm... off by default huh... that seems rather... dumb. Turns out a LOT of raytraced stuff was off. Oh well, it's on now and that means TIME for nice long but much better looking renders.

Thanks guys.

Dodgy
06-29-2010, 07:49 AM
If you change your volumetric light to a spot with shadow mapped shadows, it'll render a lot quicker, albeit less accurately.

Dreamcube017
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah but a spot light is the wrong kind of light.

Now it renders right with the correct types of shadows... the only problem is that it doesn't seem to be throwing shadows correctly in the scene and I think it's because my skydome is messing things up, but I had to run to work before I could test it... darn, now I gotta wait till 5. :\

Oh well, thanks guys.

GraphXs
06-30-2010, 07:32 AM
AHA thanks a TON. I was sitting there just staring at the screen with anger. lol

Hmm... off by default huh... that seems rather... dumb. Turns out a LOT of raytraced stuff was off. Oh well, it's on now and that means TIME for nice long but much better looking renders.

Thanks guys.

The raytraced stuff is off because they add time to the render and in some cases you won't be using all of them. Just like GI and anti-aliasing, if everything was on by default you might be waiting a while for the image.

Dreamcube017
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Well not everything has to be on, but shadows at lest could be on. If I'm rendering a simple scene with a ball and a light and stuff, it should take THAT long to render with shadows.

Cageman
06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Set your volumetric light to Low quality. The render impact with Medium is quite huge, but the result doesn't justify it.

Low with some more AA is much faster than Medium with less AA, but the result is about the same.

:)