PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush to Lightwave and Back-Integration

adamgibson
06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi All,

I've been asked many times on the topic of how to get Lightwave and Zbrush to work together seamlessly.

Color Mapping is fairly easy, Normal Maps are a little harder...but not so bad, but displacements is the real trick.

If you add too much displacement in ZBrush you can get strange artifacting to your mesh when you bring it back into Lightwave.

Some of the biggest problems people have are exporting the maps made in ZBrush back to Lightwave. Usually they flipped their UV's incorrectly etc...

There are steps that need to be followed to have success....there is also some differences between ZBrush 3.1 and 3.5 as far as the user interface goes which created problems for some users. The differences were in how to export the maps. This has slightly changed and confused people. But I have actually found 3.5 a little easier once I played with it a bit.

I think ZBrush and Lightwave have a great future together the more I have merged the 2 pieces of software together in modeling and texturing projects.

Would love to hear from those of you who are tryin to use Zbrush and Lightwave together.

Adam Gibson
(Lightwave/ZBrush Instructor)
Add me to your Skype::)

OnlineRender
06-28-2010, 02:28 AM
By now I reckon the worlflow should be seemless . Automagix one click solution to import and export to ZB , I hope Core/LW10 should be a little more ZB minded .

I found getting normal maps into LW , i needed a certian subd(usually3) to get the maps to work correctly . . but that was LW7 & ZB3 and using TBNormal Pluggin .

I like ZB it's pretty much industry sculpting standard , but for the price 3DC is the only way to go . . .but then again for the free option there is always Sculptris :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5DltOWoIeA -Sculptris Speed Challenge TimeLapse

biliousfrog
06-28-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't use ZBrush enough to build a solid workflow so I usually end up just exporting the full resolution mesh as an OBJ and use the displacement map as a bump for the really fine details. A few years back, when I first started playing around with it, it seemed that rendering the dense mesh was faster and less hassle than trying to get the displacements working....not very useful with animation though.

RebelHill
06-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Id never used ZB befor the nodal displacement appeared in LW9.2... after that, gave it a go, followed the steve warner guide... always worked fine for me, never had any real exchange probs with it.

speismonqui
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I`d go with Steve Warner guide as well... Also I would recomend Kurv`s ZBrush for LightWave 3D Users video.

Hopefully there`ll be a GoZ for LW Core, maybe the actual architecture of LW doesnt allow a better workflow.
:stumped: