PDA

View Full Version : Bend tool

pdp editor
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm following Williams tut on U tube how to make threads. my problem is i cant get the object to bend perfectly as he did. Holding ctrl only controls the bend not movement while bending ie the up and down while bending. As a result my points dont line up so i cant merge them thus the tut comes to a dead stop. I notice thay as Im bending from left to right my mouse is also moving up and down- and this is what kills it. i have looked the manual played with the bend tool some but i cant figure this one out.

lertola2
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I am not sure what William was showing in his tutorial but the bend tool has always had a constraint problem. The control key constrains the bend amount to multiples of 30 degrees but oddly it does not constrain the bend direction. What I do is start bending and once I see that the bend is going in the correct direction I stop without trying to make the bend go any further. Then I undo and type the bend amount in the numeric panel and press the apply button. This is a funny flaw in an otherwise surprisingly useful tool.

-Joe

pdp editor
06-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks. i just did it the old fashion way, it would have been nice to follow the tut but that a battle for another day.

Matt
06-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Knowing Will he probably just did it by eye and got it bang on. Faililng that turning on grid snap will help, as the bend tool doesn't respect constraining.