PDA

View Full Version : 3D everyware

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
hello
i have notices that mos of the new films coming out are also in 3D.
and now there are 3D monitors as well, and also a thing (dunno what it is called) but you have 3 monitors and set em all to 3D for gaming.

what is going on!?! is the future all 3D?

pooby
06-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Economic reasons.

It helps draw certain types of audiences to the cinema and makes certain types of piracy more difficult. It also creates new reasons for people to want to buy the latest kit.

Creatively speaking, its subjective.
I watched avatar in 2 and 3d and can't say it made a significant difference to my enjoyment of the film after the first 5 mins, (when I was aware of the 3d.)
To me, it's ironic. When I am aware of it, it's fun, but I am consciously thinking about the effect rather than what's going on, which is a bit counterproductive really, and when I am engrossed in the story I don't give a monkeys about the 3d effect.

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 03:17 AM
aaa ok.
ye i don't really care about the 3D ether.

thanks for the info

hrgiger
06-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Yeah, Hollywood is 3D crazy right now. The worst part is, some of the films that have come out recently, were never meant to be in 3D when being filmed, some marketing excec thought it would convert them to 3D to make a few extra bucks. The result is, minimal effect, but you're probably paying 4 or 5 extra dollars for your ticket.
Personally, I don't care for it myself. Maybe my eyes are getting bad as an adult but I rarely notice the effect during a movie. We just went and saw Toy Story 3 which I was more then happy to see the 2-D version.
I also have to explain to friends that I don't care for 3-D movies even though I'm into 3-D graphics. They think it's all the same thing.

geo_n
06-26-2010, 04:12 AM
what is going on!?! is the future all 3D?

Probably is. The tech is now there and easier to do but longer.
Our tv and web projects are done in 3d stereo now. One of them used 8 cameras left and right then the screen it was displayed on didn't need glasses anymore. The screen is not available for consumers though.
So its not just twice the render time :D

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 04:17 AM
@higiger: mm ye, haha toy story 3, im so exited about seeing that :)
@geo n: what so they are planing on building a monitor/TV that is 3D without glasses?

geo_n
06-26-2010, 04:28 AM
@higiger: mm ye, haha toy story 3, im so exited about seeing that :)
@geo n: what so they are planing on building a monitor/TV that is 3D without glasses?

Regza already has it for a while now. But it sucks imho but cheap.
The screen to display 8 cameras is non consumer and when I did try it out, the 3d effect was much better than the regza. The first commercial to use that was Lux or Ivory soap with 3D feathers which was shown here in tokyo on a big 3D screen.

Markc
06-26-2010, 04:32 AM
The latest 3D World mag included a supplement from Panasonic on '3D'.
One quote was
' there are no commercial plans to make 'auto stereoscopic' 3D Tv's. Auto stereoscopic technology requires you to be directly in front of the screen.'

Sarford
06-26-2010, 04:40 AM
I've seen a 3d monitor on a trade show about 6 years ago that didn't needed any glasses.
It worked the same as those 3d postcards, with lenticular lenses. Every vertical row of pixels had its own lens. The trouble was the resolution cause if you had two view-angles, the horizontal resolution was half of the original monitor, with eight view-angles, it was one-eight of the horizontal resolution. It worked pretty good though, and looked the same as 3D with glasses. The price was cheap too, about 1000 euro's.

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 05:04 AM
aaa ok so we know that 3D is going to get bigger true the years then hehe
here are the Nvidia 3D glasses i was just checking them out, you have to switch them on witch i think is weird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLImrYqLsIA

cresshead
06-26-2010, 05:59 AM
stereo films/dvd's with glasses will never gain along term appeal
as soon as we can get no glasses based tech it might just last longer than your average 'fad'

borkus
06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
It's just like anything that Hollywood thinks will make them a buck. They will whore it out until the public is physically sick of it and find the next thing that they think they can turn to. I've pretty much turned my head to Hollywood and stuck with indie films as much as I can and haven't regretted it for the longest time. Directors and producers that can do as they please because they are not in bed with the market. 3d will be another thing that will be a thing of the past until they come out with a movie that was made with it in mind. Coraline is the only movie that I can think of to date that the 3d actually added to the experience of watching it. But, that's just my opinion of course. I watched Avatar in 3d and thought it was a distraction.

archijam
06-26-2010, 01:18 PM
It's driving me nuts : (

kahalany
06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Just orchestrated our first big 3D project here. It was almost catastrophic in terms of amount of work vs. budget but somehow we managed (barely) to wrap it up in time. Can't complain since I was the one to encourage my executives to dive into the whole 3D craze in the first place.

For me it all began with Beowulf which, in my opinion was the only movie using the medium to successfuly deliver a deep and profound experience. Fortunately, I had the privilege to watch it the way Zemeckis envisioned it - in full blown 70mm IMAX 3D film. Love at first sight. And that was it for me.

Right now I almost take it for granted.

cresshead
06-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I watched Avatar in 3d and thought it was a distraction.

i found the 2d dvd version of avatar much more interesting to watch as you get to SEE more details when your not wearing glasses and pulled into the 3d depth thing constantly which seems to orchestrate WHAT you should be looking at all the time.

Hieron
06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
quite the critics here :)

I think it can be a fun addition, like Full HD was a nice addition.
They just need to go to polarisation and develop really sexy looking glasses and it's fine with me.

After some minutes you can forget you are watching stereo3D, like Pooby says. But that's with all things similar, some really good old black and white movies can make you forget about that too.

erikals
06-27-2010, 03:27 AM
i found the 2d dvd version of avatar much more interesting to watch as you get to SEE more details when your not wearing glasses and pulled into the 3d depth thing constantly which seems to orchestrate WHAT you should be looking at all the time.

that will be the next gimmick, eye tracked 3D, that focus where you focus... ;]

pooby
06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
It'll be interesting seeing how they work that out when you're watching with other people.

erikals
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
VR glasses?

sure will make it interesting to go to the movies.
nerdy? nah!...