PDA

View Full Version : Am I just oLd or is this just cool?!

UnCommonGrafx
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok,
Yes, I'm old. I'm also 4 for 4 for 4: four kids, hs grads, all having been in college. Blah blah blah...point being, the youngun brought by a BluRay for me and Avatar. The movie was great.

What's even COOLER is that I can look at all the youtube stuff from here. It's like a superstreamer. I'm looking at the Bryphi channel to learn about the DPKit on mah waihdscreen. (Say it that way and enjoy language in the midwest. Hope I don't get banned for using Bryphis name, lol)

I purged myself of video content into the house for just a cable modem. With it, so far, I have access to pretty much everything I want. With this blueray, it's a little quicker in and out that my Wi. It's got access to some other things but this is truly the future and I like being there.

learn learn learn. Much easier and accessible now.

p.s. Chuckle, I was streaming from my computer to the same waihdscreen (go ahead, say it aloud...) so that's not new. It's that all the appliances are now coming that way. And it's not java, hahahah, it's all linux-driven. If you don't remember sun touting java for all this stuff, like refrigerators, and whole house controls, then you missed out on some great hype.

JBT27
06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I'd hesitate to say it's your age, because I guess I may qualify, or be in the zone as it were - I don't have kids - but I find all this stuff very cool.

I have watched all this develop over the years, bought into some of it, and so it's a revelation to me, what's possible. I don't take it for granted, so cool stuff to me, really is very, very cool and exciting. Whereas to my nephews, in their late teens, it's just the stuff that there is - they don't know the world without it.

So I'm saying it's not age, it is cool stuff for sure, but conversely being old(er) gives one a much finer appreciation of what 'cool', and indeed the things that are possible.

It'd be interesting to see what they all make of our younger world, if they could, without this stuff versus the great ability to communicate that there is now.

Julian.

Dexter2999
06-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't get into the Youtube stuff on my Bluray. Just doesn't do it for me. I still have a delineation between computer and TV content. Reading comments and navigating on the TV is wonky.

But I do love streaming the Netflix instant view movies to my TV. Update my list on my laptop on the couch and BAM, my list is updated on the player. Too cool.

UnCommonGrafx
06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
Youtube is but one medium; it's the synergy and the like that really gets me.

And while I respect your delineation, I am finding myself breaking down that delineation as everything is a computer...heck, one of greater complexity than the one that got us to the moon.
(I add this acknowledgement to the WET-ware that got us there.)

TVs and players of this ilk are the great connection, or bomb for the old paradigm.

edit: and I get you as to what you mean about tv content. But even that is blurred with the likes of hulu and all of the stations having channels on the net.
Heck, I LOVE FIFA for making all the games available on the net. The line of demarcation isn't so clear, should you not let it be.

shrox
06-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, the past was a tough place, there is a reason we all got out of there.

MooseDog
06-26-2010, 05:29 PM
so i take it you've "cut the cord"?

imho, that's the future our kids will know: pay for access, pay, a la carte, for those streams/channels you just must have, enjoy the free ones.

i'll agree w/shrox too, paying for 125 channels i never watched was senseless, and brutal.

whila it will be a native experience for the kids, for me it's fascinating watching the change, with all its successes, struggles and failures. we're blessed to be living in interesting times in this regard.

shrox
06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I just watch hulu.com I can pick what I want to see when I want to see it. And with the free wireless I get, I just watch everything online or on DVD.

So, whether you missed the finale of Dallas back in the 70's or the new Battlestar, you don't have to be sad because you missed it, now it's all there waiting for us.

Silkrooster
06-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I miss the days before scrambling was invented for TV. It was extremely cool to set up a Large C-Band Satellite Dish and watch HBO and Playboy. Now those were the days...

Titus
06-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok,
Yes, I'm old. I'm also 4 for 4 for 4: four kids, hs grads, all having been in college. Blah blah blah...point being, the youngun brought by a BluRay for me and Avatar. The movie was great.

I like and dislike BR. The quality is great but the format and all the hardware is locked, DRM everywere. You even have to upgrade the firmware from time to time to play new discs.

UnCommonGrafx
06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
chuckle, I hit that with Avatar.
Went looking and found a workaround.

But yes, seems a little over-controlled: turned on captioning and the drm crap kicked in. ARGHHHH