PDA

View Full Version : QuadPanels detailer gets an update

jameswillmott
06-24-2010, 07:16 PM
( original thread here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109896 )

QuadPanels v1.2 is now out. This free upgrade to the nurnie plugin is now capable of using your own custom built nurnies as details as requested, as well as using the built in procedurals, or use a mix of the two. The Projection of procedural panels is now more precisely controllable too.

http://208.109.87.135/artists/videos/james/qp2.jpg

This shows a panel using purely custom nurnies, you can tell QuadPanels to maintain the aspect and scale of the nurnies if you want them to remain precise shapes, or you can freely scale them to fit the subpanels.

http://208.109.87.135/artists/videos/james/qp1.jpg

QuadPanels isn’t limited to scifi detailing, this rock wall was created by using separate stone blocks as custom ‘nurnies’

The evaluation version is limited:

* working with 6000 poly meshes.
* bugs you for a serial number often.
* only works with single polygon selections ( as opposed to detailing any number of polygons at once ) .
* occasionally doesn’t do what it’s asked.
* only works with 2 custom nurnies

You can get it and view the new demonstration video at www.liberty3d.com/quadpanels

JeffrySG
06-24-2010, 07:23 PM
James, this is amazing! I'll be ordering mine this week! :D

calilifestyle
06-25-2010, 12:00 AM
since this one is named 1.2 should i remove old plug or just install.

jameswillmott
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
since this one is named 1.2 should i remove old plug or just install.

You can just rename it and copy over the old one, or install it separately if for some reason you want to keep both.

jameswillmott
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
James, this is amazing! I'll be ordering mine this week! :D

Thanks for supporting us!

Don't forget to keep those suggestions coming.

shrox
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Zowie! Just gets better!

Drocket
06-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Looking good James :) I just ordered it as I can use this for a project over the weekend.

Drocket.

Cageman
06-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Fantastic stuff!

I just bought a lic!

:)

Matt
06-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Right, that's it, I want it, am buying later today! This is such a well written and presented plugin in James, well done mate!

stevecullum
06-25-2010, 05:26 AM
Right, that's it, I want it, am buying later today! This is such a well written and presented plugin in James, well done mate!
:agree:

My money is coming!

Any chance of a CORE version? :D

WilliamVaughan
06-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Awesome update....big thanx

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
James,

I'm finding some UI issues in the update. See the pictures attached. Mostly having to do with text being cut off. Also the area where you put in the serial number is kind of hidden under other elements.

I was running a test and I tried using 5 custom nurnies but every time I ran the plugin it only used the 2nd nurnie that was in the background. I tried a few combination and it always seems to only use the 2nd nurnie.

I'm running on 9.6 Mac UB if that matters at all. :)

Thanks!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85894&d=1277481234

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85895&d=1277481242

85894 85895

Matt
06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Jeff, don't post your dongle ID! Not sure anyone can do much with it, but it's unique to YOU!

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Jeff, don't post your dongle ID! Not sure anyone can do much with it, but it's unique to YOU!

Thanks, Matt. I didn't think it mattered. But I removed it just in case. :)

JamesCurtis
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
James,

Great plugin update.

I'm sold!

You should receive my order payment from Paypal shortly, and I just sent you an email as instructed with my Dongle ID.

Send me my key code.

Thanks

James Curtis

IgnusFast
06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Wow, your site appears to have completely fallen down, though... Maybe it's just my work connection?

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow, your site appears to have completely fallen down, though... Maybe it's just my work connection?

It's loading fine for me here.

JBT27
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I was sold the other day ..... then forgot ..... thanks for the 'reminder' - just purchased :)

Julian.

shrox
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
...This is such a well written and presented plugin in James, well done mate!

Yes, an important aspect that is not often presented as well as this one is. See what artists can do?

jameswillmott
06-25-2010, 03:15 PM
James,

I'm finding some UI issues in the update. See the pictures attached. Mostly having to do with text being cut off. Also the area where you put in the serial number is kind of hidden under other elements.

I was running a test and I tried using 5 custom nurnies but every time I ran the plugin it only used the 2nd nurnie that was in the background. I tried a few combination and it always seems to only use the 2nd nurnie.

Yes, that alert doesn't look right, I'll fix that thanks.

Not sure what you mean about the serial number entry being covered up, I couldn't see that from your screenshots...

If you don't have a valid serial you can only use 2 custom nurnies, try reinstalling the plug, and if you still have no luck PM me and I'll try to sort it out with you over Skype or something like that.

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, that alert doesn't look right, I'll fix that thanks.

Not sure what you mean about the serial number entry being covered up, I couldn't see that from your screenshots...

If you don't have a valid serial you can only use 2 custom nurnies, try reinstalling the plug, and if you still have no luck PM me and I'll try to sort it out with you over Skype or something like that.

I emailed you a screen grab of the serial number UI error. I forgot about the limit on the greebles for the demo. Once I put the serial number in it was working fine. Thanks again. :)

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Well I used the plugin for this weeks speed modeling challenge.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85913&d=1277517723

I used four custom greebles on the inside of a bent spiraling tube. It was actually really cool to watch the plugin draw and place each of the objects. I ran the plugin on each ring separately. No problems and no crashes.

Matt
06-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Well I used the plugin for this weeks speed modeling challenge.

Cheater! :p

JeffrySG
06-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Cheater! :p

lol, but if I win I'll split all the prize money with James! ;)
(actually plugins are allowed but this really helped!)

daforum
06-26-2010, 08:18 AM
How do you add custom Nurnies to the list?

jameswillmott
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
How do you add custom Nurnies to the list?

It's in the QT demo on the site and in the Help built into the interface; just put the custom nurnies into background layers. Make them face up to orient correctly.

hrgiger
06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey James, don't have a use for the plug-in at the present time but just wanted to say this look really nice.

JamesCurtis
06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi James,

I really love the plugin [purchased it yesterday], but I have a suggestion and a question or two.

Suggestion:

It would be nice if there was a "reset to default" button on the plugin panel. I know there's not many fields, but would help to bring back base settings.

Question:

I have a shape and would like to nurnie it with the plugin. I've tried but it does not work with the shape - stays empty. Below is a pic of what I'm thinking of and want to know if it's possible to do this, or if the plugin could be made to work with odd [many sided] shapes similar to this?

Thanks.

UnCommonGrafx
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I bet it's because it's an N-gon. Make it a quad or triple it to see if it works.

Or, try it on a 5 point poly.

Hi James,

Question:

I have a shape and would like to nurnie it with the plugin. I've tried but it does not work with the shape - stays empty. Below is a pic of what I'm thinking of and want to know if it's possible to do this, or if the plugin could be made to work with odd [many sided] shapes similar to this?

Thanks.

JeffrySG
06-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I bet it's because it's an N-gon. Make it a quad or triple it to see if it works.

Or, try it on a 5 point poly.

Yeah, I would try to break it up into quads then retry it.

jameswillmott
06-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Quadpanels == quads only, at least for now.

JamesCurtis
06-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Quadpanels == quads only, at least for now.

Well, I kinda figured that, but you might think about the reset button - though its no biggie either.

Also, thanks for the other's suggestion to turn the shape into quads - will try that.

jameswillmott
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, I kinda figured that, but you might think about the reset button - though its no biggie either.

Reset button is easy and makes sense, I'll squeeze it in there.

Kevbarnes
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi

Er... Am I the only one having problems with this link. I've been trying to purchase the plug-in

at http://liberty3d.com/2010/06/quadpanels-v1-2/

But the Pay-Pal Link goes to the comment page.?

see attached Screen crop

Kevbarnes
06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi

Er... Am I the only one having problems with this link. I've been trying to purchase the plug-in

Its OK now - Have found a proper Pay-Pal link
from here: http://liberty3d.com/

I should have looked a bit harder, sorry. still you might want correct the other one anyway

cheers Kev

jameswillmott
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Kevin.

No idea why it goes to the comments page, the link takes me to Paypal every time I click it... I've Skyped you my details so we can help resolve this for you.

zed1000
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Fantastic Plugin!:thumbsup: Very glad I bought it.:D

daforum
06-28-2010, 04:55 PM
It's in the QT demo on the site and in the Help built into the interface; just put the custom nurnies into background layers. Make them face up to orient correctly.

Thanks for the info James. I will check out the QT demo on the site :)

jameswillmott
06-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info James. I will check out the QT demo on the site :)

The code to use nurnies from folders is nearly ready, it should be out in a day or so.

I need someone to test it, specifically on the Mac, any volunteers?

JeffrySG
06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
The code to use nurnies from folders is nearly ready, it should be out in a day or so.

I need someone to test it, specifically on the Mac, any volunteers?

I'd be happy to test for you, James. I'll send you an email as well.

JamesCurtis
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM

That's good news.

shrox
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
So is the primary development wave of this awesome plug-in done?

jameswillmott
06-28-2010, 11:09 PM
So is the primary development wave of this awesome plug-in done?

Nearly. I'm having the new use-nurnies-from-drectory feature tested at the moment, when it's finished and good, then I think stage 1 will be done.

Cageman
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Really cool James!

Do you have any more plans on future (pay) updates, like 2.0 and so on? If so, anything you would want to share with us?

mattclary
06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Ordered!!!

jameswillmott
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Really cool James!

Do you have any more plans on future (pay) updates, like 2.0 and so on? If so, anything you would want to share with us?

I do have some ideas, mostly involving getting some texturing happening to the distribution, uv maps for the procedurals, and providing some new scattering schemes so you could use this to just clone geometry across the surface of a mesh as well as some more interesting procedurally generated details. I'm happy to take suggestions too.

zapper1998
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I am ordering this baby

oh ya..

Awsome plugy

jameswillmott
06-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for your support everyone! It's been really positive all round, even from those of you who've had some issues with it.

The next free update should be out very soon. It fixes a few bugs you've all mentioned, as well as introducing the ability to pick a folder to load custom greebles from. So you can use a combo of procedural nurnies, background layer nurnies and nurnies picked from a folder if you so wish.

The code all works nicely, thanks to Greg Malick and David Ballesteros, but my testers have picked up a few last issues that I want to resolve.

IgnusFast
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
James, I'd love to be able to set orientation of the objects in some way - especially with the pipes. It looks a little funny when everything is going different directions. Still awesome, though!