PDA

View Full Version : 3D Model of Manhattan too large?

bricolage
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I downloaded this 3D model of Manhattan:
http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/preview.aspx?ModelCode=14701

And it seems to be too large. I tried importing into cinema 4D and my stage was blank, it also makes Sketch Up and Blender Crash.

It seems to be a little over 2 million polygons. I'm not even sure how a model like this was made, maybe exported from Google Earth?

I really need to render the Manhattan Skyline for a project, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew

Soth
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
what computer specs do you have? is it 64 bit?

whot you have problem is textures, you might want to run photoshop batch command on all building textures - just to do 1/4 size and save, then you will be own from 200mb of textures to 50mb (you need to remember it is how much they take after compression)

Danner
06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I'd try soths idea first. if that doesn't work send it to a friend with a 64bit system and a ton of RAM.

I had to do a scene about a year ago of a city that grew and grew till it crashed layout and had to migrate to a 64bit system where it rendered fine.

2 million polygons is not too extreme, so it sounds like the textures the culprit. There is also a chance the object is corrupt/truncated.

Titus
06-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I really need to render the Manhattan Skyline for a project, do you have any thoughts?

Brute force: If it doesn´t work, you're just not using enough :D.

Optimize, cheat and be lazy. Use hi-res models for foreground, low-res for backgroud, textured cards for very far buildings. Use image mapping to add detail instead of increase polygon count, infinimap is a good option as well.

Silkrooster
06-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Brute force: If it doesn´t work, you're just not using enough :D.

Optimize, cheat and be lazy. Use hi-res models for foreground, low-res for backgroud, textured cards for very far buildings. Use image mapping to add detail instead of increase polygon count, infinimap is a good option as well.

I have to agree with Titus here. If you can't see it from the camera delete it. (Make sure you are working on a copy)
Take Soth's advice as well.

Soth
06-25-2010, 12:27 AM
ive read my mail again and... sorry for English and - of course - you will finish with 1/16 memory usage if you do 1/4 resolution :)

what i did in one of recent projects is to prepare 3 image folders 1.imagesHiRes 2.imagesLowRes 3.imagec (where you will keep current ones) - do all your job on your system, replace folders to highRes and just render on friends system. 64bit layout will render everything.

another thing is try to load the object with all openGL textures off, maybe lightwave will handle everything OK and it is just your graphic card problem?

lardbros
06-25-2010, 12:34 AM
If u have access to Deep Exploration, try loading it in there... even better If its 64bit too. Almost everything loads in this software, but it does sound like ur textures are too big!

Silkrooster
06-25-2010, 12:54 AM
ive read my mail again and... sorry for English and - of course - you will finish with 1/16 memory usage if you do 1/4 resolution :)

what i did in one of recent projects is to prepare 3 image folders 1.imagesHiRes 2.imagesLowRes 3.imagec (where you will keep current ones) - do all your job on your system, replace folders to highRes and just render on friends system. 64bit layout will render everything.

another thing is try to load the object with all openGL textures off, maybe lightwave will handle everything OK and it is just your graphic card problem?

Just so your aware, the OP does not mention he/she uses lightwave.
C4D, Blender and Sketchup was all that was listed. Its easy to assume lightwave on this forum, but hey you never know...

archijam
06-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Try loading it without the textures first. Just shift them to another dir.

For an evening skyline (silhouette) perhaps you don't need them at all.

OnlineRender
06-25-2010, 03:27 AM

Thanks,
Andrew

Slap an image onto a large poly

lwaddict
06-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Seems like this could be comp'ed as well.

VonBon
06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
try changing the Grid size and use Multitexture shaders.