PDA

View Full Version : Cache Crash



Nangleator
06-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm having trouble with a large render.

I've set up a tiled render, with 16 tiles of 4k by 4k images. It's worked with a standard light rig, so I wanted to try a radiosity render. My first attempt at full res crashed out during the first frame: "Out of memory."

So, I used "Bake Radiosity" which took a couple hours, but seemed to work. I've got a 460mb cache file, and when I try to render the scene now, the radiosity solution goes to 100% done in just a few seconds. Unfortunately, LW crashes to desktop at the 100% point of rendering the first frame. I tried rebooting. No effect. I tried different segment memory limits. No effect.

Is this a RAM problem, because of the radiosity solution being loaded at the same time as those large files are trying to save? Or does baking radiosity not work?

I'll try an overnight render without the baked cache, but it might not be done when I come back in. May not be done when I come in on Monday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sensei
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
You must have some really crazy GI settings, to receive such huge file..
VirtualRender and Kray while making this picture
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/VirtualRender/Graphics/Janusz_Scene_1_16000_9333.jpg
have just 6.5 MB GI file size..
In 10 times higher pixel count.

Cageman
06-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Try lowering the multiplier to something like 10-25 % on the cache. Do this before you make the cache btw.

Nangleator
06-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Cache was baked at 25%. Minimum and Maximum Pixel Spacing were set at 1.0.

600 rays per evaluation
200 secondary rays
38 angular tolerance

And, since I was rendering a tiled image, my final size, and the size I baked for, is 16k x 16k.

Awesome picture, Sensei! Your texture is backwards on your stereo, though. ;)

3DGFXStudios
06-25-2010, 06:40 AM
200 secondary rays is a lot. You can easily set that to a value around 50 .

Nangleator
06-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Okay, I wasn't sure what was causing some noise until I bashed the MPS numbers and fixed it.

Thanks, all!