PDA

View Full Version : Motion Graphics

alanestrada
06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
What do you think of this demo reel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DdM4B2Ckhw

0:00 Baseball Team Promo
0:30 Fashion Week NY Promo
0:57 Promo for Band called Kinky (from Monterrey)
2:04 Music Video for Mexican rap band called Control Machete
3:09 Music Video for Rumanian band called Suie Paparude
4:05 Sotian Bank Promo
4:34 Whirlpool Promo
5:00 Fashion Week NY (TV Show Edition)
6:41 PubliK (Experimental)
7:20 Nato (Experimental)
7:42 Average (Experimental)
8:07 360 (Experimental)
8:38 TakaTaka (Experimental)
8:51 Origami (Experimental)

biliousfrog
06-24-2010, 07:49 AM
The work is excellent but it's far too long for a demo reel, generally you're looking at 2 minutes max. I actually only watched the first 2 minutes and turned it off as it was starting to get bored of it, imagine someone that has already watched 10 reels that day.

You need to show your best bits, think if it as a commercial for you...if the viewer likes what they see they'll look for more. They don't want to see everything that you've ever done from start to finish, just the parts that are relevant to them and they might be at the end of the reel.

You're obviously very good at motion graphics so why not chop up the best parts of each of your best projects and edit them together in the same style? Keep it short and sweet, hit the viewer with something great, keep the momentum going for a couple of minutes and leave them wanting more.

Andyjaggy
06-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Very good work but agree that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long.

I know it's sometimes hard to cut stuff out that you like, cause you want to show everything, but people aren't going to sit there for 10 minutes. Keep it at 2 or 3 minutes. You can always put the full pieces of work up to view elsewhere in case someone is interested and wants to see more.

alanestrada
06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
thanks for your comments guys, and what about the order? would people be more interested in tv commercials, experimental stuff? what is usually the eye grabber?

biliousfrog
06-25-2010, 02:37 AM
well that depends on who's watching ;)

alanestrada
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
One Last question...

If I'm in Mexico, and I would like to do Freelancer work for the US, what do I need? I would like to do it legally, so I guess I need to report taxes...do I need to get a working visa?

Can anyone give me some advice or point out where could I read some information regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

cresshead
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
i watched it with the sound off as i was listening to F1 practiice...found the reel to be "workman like", nothing special that popped out...the experimental blurred stuff and the filter's didn;t work for me personally...just looked like someone turning on filters..the 2d cutout stills floating by got abit boring to watch after the first few and the use of TEXT defo wore really thin on me..not a fan of block text in different colors flashing on n off wih some 'dude's posing the face righ in the camera lens.

overall i think you could edit that down to about 90seconds to keep it 'snappy' and drop the repetativness down, my lasting impresson was nothing special was in it but looked to be okay for day to day motion graphics...surprised there was no 3d graphics in there...not even 3d text and the 2d cutouts didn't do much animation wise othe than float by or flash layers on/off.

...well you asked!

alanestrada
07-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Cress, your feedback has always been of help to me.
I do think that you lost half of the feel without any sound. But I'll work on that and try to make it better (just like Jude)