PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #87 - Art

chco2
06-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #87 - Art
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: Art

Art is a vast concept, since we already create art with every modeling challenge we do :)
By art I mean trying to create something like a still life, portrait, painting.. the "old" and traditional meaning of "art".
But also stuff like optical illusions, like M. C. Escher.
Be creative ;)

There's also a forum post back on Spinquad (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27221)dealing with reflections to give some idea's.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 30rd June 2010, 2200 GMT

chco2
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
To kick off.. here are two Lightwave scenes I created earlier..

http://files.designburo.nl/images/abstract1.jpg

This one actually hangs on my wall as a 90x90cm canvas..
http://files.designburo.nl/images/abstract3.jpg

and this one.. Created after a painting my uncle ones made.. (3D glasses needed ;))
http://files.designburo.nl/images/niek.jpg

Wrshredder
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Niceee!
This is actually a topic i might be able to do. I failed to participate (laziness!) to the few previous challenges so i have to get my act together :D

JeffrySG
06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Well I used this challenge as an opportunity to use James' new greeble plugin - quad panels. Just kind of an abstract idea I had. About 40min modeling and then about an hour to set up the texturing and lighting.

chco2, that image looks very cool. I really like how the print came out!

chco2
06-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Nice Jeffry! I like it!
Quadpanels is a really nice plugin, just saw in my mail yesterday there's an update, need to download it still.

Yeah the image came out great on canvas! In the evening it looks like the middle sphere is a light. Already had to make 5 more for others :)
That scene is pretty interesting as it is just a large flipped reflective sphere. In there is a large (flipped) reflective cube of which I made a small gap between all the vertices. In the cube is just one reflective sphere, one light and the camera in the top left corner of the cube. Lightwave does the rest ;) (some texturing of course ;))

Hope to get my entry in for this competition this weekend!

Wrshredder.. Go for it! ;)

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 02:40 AM
hey, nice work fellas
@chco2:, is that 3D that last one?
@JeffrySG: wow i like that tube thing you have done, it looks cool
good work :)

chco2
06-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Yes it is.. you need one of those blue/red glasses. Looks pretty good.. Have it as a A0 size poster made as well.

@chco2:, is that 3D that last one?

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 06:17 AM
aa cool
ok impresive
i have never tryed to do a 3D image before :)

good work

chco2
06-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks!

JeffrySG
06-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Yeah the image came out great on canvas! In the evening it looks like the middle sphere is a light. Already had to make 5 more for others :)
That scene is pretty interesting as it is just a large flipped reflective sphere. In there is a large (flipped) reflective cube of which I made a small gap between all the vertices. In the cube is just one reflective sphere, one light and the camera in the top left corner of the cube. Lightwave does the rest ;) (some texturing of course ;))

Thanks, and it is pretty amazing what a simple scene setup can look like after it's rendered. Although I always say it's the idea and the execution that matters not how simple the scene is. :)

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 01:17 PM
hello
here is my speed model :)
took me about 47 minuets to model

chco2
06-26-2010, 02:56 PM
lol! Is that what you usually use to paint the canvas with? :)
nice render, like the wood also of the brush!

oliversimonnet
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
aahh sorry
i understood it wrong haha
i will do another one.

thanks tho chco2 :)

Wittywop
06-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I had a lil time at work so I tinkered on this. Not very exciting. More interesting looking then artsy. I wanted to at least get something up for this challenge considering I have be waiting till the last minute on the other ones.

On a side note, is there a way we can update the speed modeling sticky with the newest challenges? Seem like the last couple weeks haven't made it on.

Thanks

chco2
06-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Iain, could you update the sticky?

On a side note, is there a way we can update the speed modeling sticky with the newest challenges? Seem like the last couple weeks haven't made it on.

Thanks

chco2
06-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Those might make a Mondriaan when looked top down view ;)

I had a lil time at work so I tinkered on this. Not very exciting. More interesting looking then artsy. I wanted to at least get something up for this challenge considering I have be waiting till the last minute on the other ones.

Iain
06-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Iain, could you update the sticky?

I can't I'm afraid but I've asked The Deacon to look into it now that BeeVee has left those kind of duties.

Nice stuff folks.
Love that greeble render Jeff!

Iain
06-28-2010, 07:31 AM
While I try to come up with something I'll post this.

I did it a few months ago and its based on Marc Quinn's 'Self' sculpture which he made by freezing his own blood inside a cast of his head...........

chco2
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
sweeeett :D

Iain
06-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm afraid Art is just too open for me so I've done an Art.....Gallery.
15 to 20 minutes modelling-the lights and prints are old models.

Wittywop
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow that looks great! Nice work. The lighting make it look very real!

Nangleator
06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Iain sure knows his interiors!

I've got an idea in mind. Might be a video. I've also got a good idea for next week's challenge.

chco2
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Not what I planted, but due to lack of time, I tried my 2nd thing I always wanted to do ;)

Here goes.. modeling time 30 mins. Rendertime 30 mins.

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/rose_art.png

and the wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/rose_art_wire.png

aurora
06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
First attempt at an idea I have been wanting to tryout for a couple years but have been to lazy to actually do.
Modeling time 15-20 minutes, shading and scene setup another ~20 minutes, render time 32 minutes, with an RRL of 40. The high RRL was not so much for additional reflections to show up as its obvious there's not that much to grab, but more to brighten what is there.

This is just a proof of concept and really needs a to more time to get something that does truly look nice.

shrox
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
OK, two hours over the limit, and I used Poser....looks nice though...I had made this before, but I lost the files, so I "rotostilled" over the one image I still had of it. And, it was fun.

chco2
06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Damn.. Like this very much!

First attempt at an idea I have been wanting to tryout for a couple years but have been to lazy to actually do.
Modeling time 15-20 minutes, shading and scene setup another ~20 minutes, render time 32 minutes, with an RRL of 40. The high RRL was not so much for additional reflections to show up as its obvious there's not that much to grab, but more to brighten what is there.

This is just a proof of concept and really needs a to more time to get something that does truly look nice.

chco2
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
State of the art Shrox! Really nice!

OK, two hours over the limit, and I used Poser....looks nice though...I had made this before, but I lost the files, so I "rotostilled" over the one image I still had of it. And, it was fun.

LAV
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Great show-contest!!!
When I have not to work, I usually stay in the modeler the less I can.
This is probably the fastest model I ever did.
The render is fast in the same way.

shrox
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Great show-contest!!!
When I have not to work, I usually stay in the modeler the less I can.
This is probably the fastest model I ever did.
The render is fast in the same way.

Good colors.

Are you sure it's not that map of the US command structure in Afghanistan?

LAV
07-01-2010, 07:12 AM
At first compliments to all the crew of this thread and many thanks for your words :)

Good colors.

Are you sure it's not that map of the US command structure in Afghanistan?

I'm not sure. But it could be. In this kind of semirecursive images we can find a lot of things they have not in effect. :)

This time I show you another VQMR (VeryQuickModel&Render).
This one is not entirely done in LW. The original mesh (ideogram) is done via Xenodream and heavily deformed in Modeler.
I use the free limited version of Xenodream as a standalone plugin for Modeler, so it is almost always on my funny bench.

Model and render less than a single hour.

LAV
07-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Spectacular evolution of a 'recursive' idea. Chapeaux!
I have to study your geometry.

PS: my works actually were done a long time before the contest opened. So I can imagine they are here just to 'say hallo' to the folks!

chco2
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
First off sorry for the late finishing of the thread.. I was gone for two days and yesterday there was something happening with the Dutch during the World Cup that took some of my time (till late @ night) :)

Thank you all for some really nice results!

Jeffry & Wittywop: Great idea to use the quad panels plugin and a very good way of presenting something artistic!

Iain: Loved the head in the case! Beautifull! As well as the gallery you've created, the final render is very good and modeling wise there is more going on than meets the eye first glance.

Oliver: Was looking forward to your second entry as well, but this entry is very nice. Well done!

Shrox: If that was within the challenge's rules, it was the sure winner! Excellent job especially on the final comp. Really nice!

LAV and aurora: You both created astonishing results. And although the modeling might look simple, it is pretty amazing what the results are!
I really had a though call on what winner the choose. Really!
I go for Aurora in this case, the final image made the decision, but LAV's two entries are really artistic also. your last entry could have been something created in real life, excellent.

So for this thread I go for Aurora as winner, he's the one setting up challenge # 89. Well done!

Kuzey
07-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Nice going Aurora...hoping to see in more challenges :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Iain
07-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Well done Aurora!

Here's a render of both my entries together...................

warrenwc
07-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Congrats Aurora!
Everything looks great.
I really tried to get in, but when I finally got something together, I couldn't connect to the forums.
Sorry so late but here's what I had anyway.
Middle geometry is all 2sided & 100% reflective.
Inside of outer ovoid is about 55% luminous, 75 percent reflective & has nodal color texture.

JeffrySG
07-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Nice going Aurora...hoping to see in more challenges :thumbsup:

Kuzey

:agree: and congrats! :)

JeffrySG
07-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Well done Aurora!

lovely! love that lighting!

LAV
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Congrats Aurora, my dear friend! I voted for you if I could ;)

LAV
07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Well done Aurora!

Really good. Clean and evocative. :thumbsup:

chco2
07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Hiya Warren!

Had the same problem here as well.. could not connect for 1,5 days to the forums.. weird.
Thanks for posting though! Nice.. as always! :)

Congrats Aurora!
Everything looks great.
I really tried to get in, but when I finally got something together, I couldn't connect to the forums.
Sorry so late but here's what I had anyway.
Middle geometry is all 2sided & 100% reflective.
Inside of outer ovoid is about 55% luminous, 75 percent reflective & has nodal color texture.

chco2
07-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Damn that looks good :)
Thanks for sharing!

Iain
07-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. Even later to the party....
Just an idea based on the repetetive patterns some of you are keen on.

No time modelling really, about 4 minutes in total................

aurora
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks all. The nice comments are much appreciated! As I said earlier this was just a sort of proof of concept. I hope to actually do something much nicer when time allows.

kuzey, damn I wish I had time to actually be in more challenges. This summer I'm kind of lucky in that I do have time for a few speed challenges. Heres hoping I can actually model something decent, and under a million polys, before fall semester kills me once again.

chco2
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Nice Iain! Bit noisy, but I like the depth and "hugeness" of it!

Thanks guys. Even later to the party....
Just an idea based on the repetetive patterns some of you are keen on.

No time modelling really, about 4 minutes in total................