I watched one of the videos on the site and created a small write up here:
http://www.pushingpoints.com/2010/06/animation-alchemy/

erikals
06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
thank you so much for sharing :]

love it when the old masters teach :]

geothefaust
06-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks William, I've been checking his site too, for updates. I'm glad he has finally got these up, I've been pretty eager to learn his style. He's got that old time animation style that I really enjoy. :)

The prices are pretty fair, too! Awesome.

aurora
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
The previews are very enticing. I love the whole setup except:

Can the videos be downloaded?

You will only be able to view the tutorials as streaming videos. Once you have paid for a tutorial, you can watch it up to 10 times.

Granted 10 times should be sufficient. But what if someone wanted to come back a years or two from now and this would be the 11th time just for a 5 minute segment.

Naturally we all know a simple solution to this problem, albeit not in accordance with the Terms. It would be nice to have a non-streaming copy.

erikals
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
yep, would be nice, guess that's how it is for now though...

it ain't gonna stop me from buying them :]

erikals
06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
maybe you can find the video under "temporary internet files" after download

WilliamVaughan
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
He could always raise the price for QT versions but I think that defeats the entire setup.

erikals
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
yep, that's how it works...

GregMalick
06-23-2010, 03:50 PM
It says that he uses LW in his videos.
It also mentions we get rigged characters.
Are those LW Rigged Characters?

geothefaust
06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
It says that he uses LW in his videos.
It also mentions we get rigged characters.
Are those LW Rigged Characters?

Rigs are supplied for LW, XSI and Maya.

meatycheesyboy
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Rigs are supplied for LW, XSI and Maya.

The rigged character can be downloaded from here:

http://animationalchemy.com/downloads.html

h2oStudios
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
The rigged character can be downloaded from here:

http://animationalchemy.com/downloads.html

Um... these rigs are .... dare i say... kind of dated.

meatycheesyboy
06-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Um... these rigs are .... dare i say... kind of dated.

I'm definitely no authority when it comes to either rigging or character animation but I would assume that since the course is about the fundamentals of animation, the rig is as barebones as possible while maintaining only the most necessary controls as not to overwhelm the student. Having the most advanced rig possible with as many bells and whistles as can be added might make a beginning animator feel too out of their depth and may seem too complicated.

But to iterate, I am no authority on the subject so I may be way off base.

RebelHill
06-24-2010, 04:14 AM
I too agree that the rigs are somewhat dated... plus theres still a couple gimbal and deform issues, and controllers are a lil funky to pick in viewport here n there... take the IK or FK selection for the arms in the IK arms rig... controls are on top of one another, and the same size... so theres gonna be some click, drag, no thats wrong, undo, arrow key up/down to right control, drag again, etc.

Plus theres phoneme/expression morf based slider setup only for the face, not great.

A modern, and well featured rig needn't be complicated for anyone, newcomers or otherwise, as long as its laid out well, and its easy to see what stuff does.

But i am very glad to see good solid instruction from someone who knows their animation apples and pears as well as this fella working in LW, and showing that CA is catered for well enough... I may just offer to build a nice shiny new rig for him.

WilliamVaughan
06-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Something to keep in mind....

The site and information is not about rigging. You can apply what you learn to any rigged character...hell... nothing stops you from following along with one of many chartacter rigs that have been supplied FREE to the community.

Every artist that I have worked with likes different things in rigs.... you'll NEVER please everyone with just one rig. Use what works for you. I rig my characters very different from most....but I can easily follow along to Tom's training as it has little/nothing to do with the rig.

From what I gather... Tom is not a TD but an animator...teaching animation....which I think he does one hell of a job at.

my 2 cents

erikals
06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
ditto that,

btw, heard the DVD from www.jefflew.com tutorials was alright too.

and then there is, www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com

RebelHill
06-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Something to keep in mind....

The site and information is not about rigging. You can apply what you learn to any rigged character...hell... nothing stops you from following along with one of many chartacter rigs that have been supplied FREE to the community.

Every artist that I have worked with likes different things in rigs.... you'll NEVER please everyone with just one rig. Use what works for you. I rig my characters very different from most....but I can easily follow along to Tom's training as it has little/nothing to do with the rig.

From what I gather... Tom is not a TD but an animator...teaching animation....which I think he does one hell of a job at.

my 2 cents

Agreed...

However a poor rig can get in the way of producing good animation... and there is a broad "standard" for character rigs that has eveolved over the years, between dfferent packages, which observes that a rig needs to be quick and easy to understand, with easy access to controllers and so forth, with as little click and fumbling about with the rig as possible so as you can get on with the job at hand... the animation.

The guys who teach at AM are animators too... not TDs... but those who built bishop, et al, certainly are.

stevecullum
06-25-2010, 08:38 AM
btw, heard the DVD from www.jefflew.com tutorials was alright too.

Doesn't seem to work that link...

erikals
06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
hm, Jeff says they are discounted for a limited time,... (oops, not discontinued, me and my english...)
http://www.killerbeanforever.com/learnanim.html

i'll send him a mail...

stevecullum
06-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Strange, all I get it this...

stevecullum
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
From clicking on the link IN your quote, I get this:

mmm...wonder if there is some kind of regional restrictions at play?

erikals
06-25-2010, 08:12 PM
the end of internet is closing in... (!)

trentonia
06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
With SoThink web video downloader you can capture the tutorials. http://www.sothink.com/product.htm#free

erikals
07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
With SoThink web video downloader you can capture the tutorials. http://www.sothink.com/product.htm#free

Nice :]
worked for some other local news i downloaded :]

sunpowerkidz
07-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I was hoping to see how this website is progressing. Unfortunately, it appears that the website malfunctions. Any Suggestions?