PDA

View Full Version : OnLive

Philbert
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Anybody in the US playing OnLive yet? I just got my account activated last night and really love it. For those who don't know it's gaming "on the cloud", the game actually runs on server at a data center and streams to you over the net. So whether you have an old Mac, PC, or the upcoming micro-console for your TV, it will play just the same. Right now it's free for one year and a big discount on the second year if you sign up in the next 22 days or so.

I made a little demo video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWV1LgzzdE

If you are in friend me up, my tag is philnolan3d .

BigHache
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh cool I didn't know they have gone live with the service. I did a leg of beta testing for them and hadn't heard anything else about them recently.

Philbert
06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Yup it went live on Thursday just after E3 ended.

JeffrySG
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
so, you still need to buy each game but then you'll also need to buy a monthly subscription? (I see the first year is free, though)

I think that they should lower the cost of the games by about 40%. Right now they seem to be the same price or more than what it costs to buy the real game or buy on Steam and download and actually have it on your HD.

I signed up for the 1st year... I guess it takes a while to get accepted? If I get on, I'll friend you though. :)

Philbert
06-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah you do pay to rent or "buy" the games. I to hope prices will come down. Maybe after the service gets more members. Since I signed up early I got free game coupon but I haven't decided what to spend it on yet. It's still great for demoing games and renting them.

BTW Someone pointed something out, that games with DLC cost more on Steam but on OnLive DLC is free. I don't know Steam well enough so I have no idea how they price things. Of course with Steam you also need a powerful computer to play high end games. I was playing Unreal Tournament III on my old laptop with OnLive. I also understand Steam doesn't work on Macs with all of the games, maybe I'm wrong on that.

JeffrySG
06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah you do pay to rent or "buy" the games. I to hope prices will come down. Maybe after the service gets more members. Since I signed up early I got free game coupon but I haven't decided what to spend it on yet. It's still great for demoing games and renting them.

True, but if it was 5 bucks a month and the games were free, I'd definitely join. Or even if the games were 5 bucks extra also. But with the prices they way they are I'll probably just stick to buying the dvd or on steam.

Philbert
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I can understand cheaper games, but free games with 5 bucks service is kinda pushing it. NetFlix costs more than that and it's just movies that cost a lot less than games.

T-Light
06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
[GRUMBLE MODE ON]
Meh, I bought UT III for only 2 18 months ago when Woolworth closed.
[GRUMBLE MODE OFF]

What's the lag like? For instance, I have approximately a 2 Meg connection, that translates to youtube running in normal time, but high res (720 or above) usually requires a lot of buffering. BlinkBox.co.uk runs in real time. BBC i player requires buffering (overloaded servers maybe?)

We also have a terrible transmission rate at certain times of the day. I would have thought this would have been a no go for 'OnLive'.

How's everyone finding it?

Philbert
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
You might have a little trouble with lag if you play in HD (720p) mode. I have a 15Mbps connection so I don't see any lag at all, I haven't played any multiplayer games yet but that shouldn't be a problem either since all of the players are on the same server group so it's like a giant LAN party at the data center, except we're not there. If you have less than 5Mb it drops you down to SD quality, and you need a minimum of 1.5Mb.

T-Light
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Philbert -

I have a 15Mbps connection
Nice :thumbsup:

There's large areas of the UK now on 20Mbps fiber optic.
I'm not in one of those areas :devil:

Thanks for the info Phil :)

OnlineRender
06-23-2010, 01:59 AM
I beta tested way back last year , some workaround I had to do , just to get the american servers to accept my account , but I found it pretty cool,Ive not seen the new release/version though . but when it was beta it looked very promising .

biliousfrog
06-23-2010, 04:58 AM
My issue with it is that I only really enjoyed playing online when there were groups of people I knew playing also, primarily on servers hosted by someone I knew or through a clan who could kick people that were being a PITA, could keep the hardware/software updated and could run mods and patches. This whole subscription thing has more or less killed the whole mod and clan scene and there's usually no way to pick a particular server that you want to play on. I could understand the idea with console players but it seems like a huge leap backwards for the PC gaming market. I personally wouldn't want to log onto a server in the US to play my friend who lives down the road or is even on the same LAN, it's a massive waste of bandwidth when UK connection speeds are generally awful anyway.

Elmar Moelzer
06-23-2010, 05:51 AM
I saw a few screenshots and infos on Gizmodo. The image quality is still pretty bad. It looks like a Youtube video (abysmal). I think that they are a few years to early. The bandwidth is not quite there yet to make this really enjoyable.

Philbert
06-23-2010, 02:02 PM
That Gizmodo article had some pretty nasty screenshots, to me it looks pretty good, especially considering that it's only 720p for now, soon they will increase it to 1080p.

Elmar Moelzer
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
soon they will increase it to 1080p

If your bandwidth allows for that...

It is a very simple calculation. If the 1080p stream was uncompressed and assuming a nice framerate of 30fps, you get ~186MB/sec
If you use HDV standard bitrates, you get 24 Mbit/sec. For a comparison, Blue Ray has 36 Mbits/sec. So at 25Mbits that is already fairly compressed. Sure, you can go down further, but the further you compress down, the more you come into youtube cathegory.
At some point, all those fancy 1080p wont help anything anymore and it may make more sense to lower the resolution and use a less brutal compression instead. Compare Vimeos standard resolution video with 720p on Youtube and you get the idea.

Philbert
06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Meant to post a screenshot in my last post. This is one from someone playing Dirt 2. I was watching him play live so it's not a recording or anything. Most of the time I can see jaggies on the edges of models when the game doesn't have AA, I think if I can see that the video compression can't be that bad.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1996/onlivedirt.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1996/onlivedirt.jpg)

Elmar Moelzer
06-24-2010, 04:27 AM
That does indeed look a lot better than the screenshots on Gizmodo.
Maybe it depends on the content, or the speed of the connection?
What sort of connection does your friend have?

Philbert
06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't know it wasn't a friend, just a random person I was watching in The Arena. Remember the guy on Gizmodo even said he had it blown way up on some huge screen. I don't remember exactly but it was like double the res of my monitor. Imagine watching a 720p YouTube video on a big screen TV.

Danner
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
If you are on a mac onlive is better than Steam since only about 1/10 of the games on steam put out a mac version. Still, Steam has life left for people like me at least, I like having a potent machine for work purposes without using the overly expensive workstation 3d cards, so games look great. And there are frequent sales on Steam that bring top games to bargain-bin prices. Today they are having a huge sale, things like Dirt2 at 10usd. The whole THQ pack for $40 (that is 20 games) some games for under $2, you get the idea.

BigHache
06-25-2010, 02:11 PM
And let's not forget that the #2 game played on Steam, Counter Strike: Source, which was released on Steam six years ago, can be had on sale through Steam for $10, and is playable forever instead of 3 years as Onlive offers.

Onlive is interesting, but I'm not interested.

Philbert
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I may not use it for purchases just because of the 3 year thing, but it still seems great for rentals. As far as sales, who know, OnLive might also have sales.

BTW I wrote up little review of the service here:
http://philnolan3d.vox.com/library/post/onlive-is-finally-here.html