PDA

View Full Version : modeling advice

skywalker113
06-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm modeling a oddly shaped engine. I am having trouble adding detail while keeping the structure roundish all the way around. I came acrossed one problem. Theres an edge of a crease sticking out, when it should have the same curvature as the body.

How should I model it diffrently so it doesnt stick out?

nickdigital
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Does it really need to be one solid mesh? Breaking it up into pieces would help you add detail where you need it.

skywalker113
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. The capsule is a diffrent section. Its sort of morphs into the main peice.

nickdigital
06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah ok I thought it was all one piece of geo. Have you checked that the crease you're seeing will show up during rendering?

skywalker113
06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes it does.

nickdigital
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Do your towers need so many sides? I think you have too many polygons merging down to the one corner.

JeffrySG
06-22-2010, 07:40 PM
That's getting pretty messy the way you have that mesh now. If you are working with an eight sided cylinder for the main tube you'll need to add more detail to the mesh in order to keep that top part rounded - if that's what you're going for.

You can't just add more loops and detail to a subd object and have it still conform to the originally intended shape without adjusting each new loop. You'll need to adjust each area as you add more detail. It probably would have been better to start with a higher res mesh for the base so it would give you more areas to work with to keep the shape you want.

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to achieve?

skywalker113
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Its a part for a walking machine. It comes from a game called Universe at war. I'm making the whole walker, but I wanted to get extra detailed with the engine so I can get some closup renders.

nickdigital
06-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Is this what you're trying to achieve?

You need more resolution so you can properly bridge from one shape to the other.

JeffrySG
06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Is this what you're trying to achieve?

You need more resolution so you can properly bridge from one shape to the other.

Yep, that was just what I was talking about. :)

skywalker, you might want to have a look at some of my subd videos. Link in my sig. The #3 perfume bottle and the compound curves kind of cover some of what you're looking to do. (similar anyway) :)

Kevin_D
06-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi guys I'm fairly new to Lightwave. I have version 9.6 and I've created a model that I'm trying to export for another effects person to use for compositing. But when I export it as a .obj file it looses the texturing information. Does anyone know of a way to export a model for use with other programs and keep it's texture.

nickdigital
06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Make sure your object has UVs on it and you could bake out the texture.

skywalker113
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I finally did it! Here is the shape I was trying to acomplish. Nick is right. I had to add more geometry to it.

Thanks

erikals
06-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the World of SubD! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/023.gif