PDA

View Full Version : UI skins in LW8?

Ade
09-15-2003, 08:58 AM
How about some personalisation elements?
C4D has em, 3DS too.

I have some ideas-
Aqua
Platinum brushed metal
PRO dark

Mylenium
09-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Oh nay, go away! Personally I think this is somewhere down at the end of the to-do list. Costumization wise there are other things (shortcuts, context sensitive menus) that are more important and more noticable in everyday live. I wouldn't want NT to waste any resources just to make those few people happy that want LW to look like Aqua or WinXP. It's ok,however , if there is an API and it is done as a fan effort.

Mylenium

Matt
09-15-2003, 10:17 AM
any major UI changes won't be done for v8.

beyond that they would be workflow AND cosmetic.

Ade
09-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Its soo simple to do man!
Relax is u dont like the skins u stay default.
I personally would love a darker UI like FCP has.

jb_gfx
09-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Customisable UI colors would be enough no?

I don't get the interest to have skins in highend apps, that's too much toyish.

Alan Daniels
09-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
I don't get the interest to have skins in highend apps, that's too much toyish.

I'm with you. Skins are for cutesy apps like WinAmp.

If anything, I'd prefer that LW had a more "Windows standard" look and feel, as opposed to the current Amiga-ish look. Having toolbars across the top (complete with icons, tooltips, etc), and the Numeric Panel and other floating dialogs docked off to the right (like in 3DS Max or Maya) wouldn't bother me at all, but I do realize that this puts me in a definite minority. :D

Mylenium
09-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't know if making the more "standardized" would be such a great idea. For one Mac users will be pissed if it's too much Windows (and vice versa). Another point is that this will not really improve the interface/ workflow. You see, I also work with Maya and what do I do? I totally reconfigured keyboard shortcuts, hide all menu bars and only use the marking menus and shelf because in standard config Maya is unsuitable for my everyday needs. The same goes for LW - a simple menu rearrangement can greatly improve things. It's just that there are too few options to configure LW even in the most basic parts.

Mylenium

Zafar Iqbal
09-16-2003, 12:03 PM
I agree with Mylenium - make room for more important stuff .. and yes, adding a costumizeable feature does take time to implement. It always seems easy from the sideline.

Alan Daniels
09-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
I don't know if making the more "standardized" would be such a great idea...

Understandable. The only real reason I wish for a more standardized look (other than aesthetics) is so I wouldn't have to make quite so much of a mental leap when alt-tabbing between LW and other windows apps. The main thing I like about LW's interface is that it's built for speed. It's the nascar of user interfaces! :D

I do still wish I could dock all the floating panels into one tabbed set off to the right, though.

riki
09-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Personally I think dev resources could be better spent in other areas.

Mozilla has custom skins, but from what I've read on their site, it's a time consuming process to implement them properly.

Ade
09-16-2003, 09:10 PM
By skins I mean colour schemes, BUT is aqua classified as a skin?

I know what u are all saying, I agree I dont mean those skins like leopard spots and crap like that, im talking more colour schemes.
Right now its really hard to do in lightwave.

Extent
09-16-2003, 09:50 PM
ya, color schemes and skins are a little different. Skins are a winamp kind of thing, taken a step further with winamp3 which adds a scripting language to the skin processor that lets you move controlls, add functions, create new windows with different things in them etc.

Nemoid
09-17-2003, 05:18 AM
1) there are many things to do or to implement in Lw before a huge work on UI

2) the best choice is to do the UI fully customizable in colors, panels, fonts and all its elements. not forgetting to give the user a well organized and understandable UI out of the box.

sannyasi
09-17-2003, 06:28 PM
I frequently use maya and xsi, but mainly Lightwave (on a side note I would personaly take a bullet before I use 3ds min).

As far as a UI, I say get rid of it as much as possible!!!
I haven't used the menu system in modeler in so long I wouldn't know where to find any of the tools, the only reason its open at all is so I can see the cordnate window at the bottom, and the rest is covered up by the numeric window, statistics window and VMaps, window.
Icons are vague, take up too much UI space, increases loading times, and mem usage. Everyone has 101+ keys on the keyboard and I have 95% of them maped to something (all except thoose shift+F5+ keys too far a reach). If I don't have a key mapped, its in the Ctrl+Shift+LMB menu that I made to hold my less than frequently used tools. Having this kind of workflow increases productivity by unmeasurable amounts.

As far as layout goes, I have my own menu at the front of the top menu so it opens on startup, haven't opened the other menus since 6.5

Its taken some time to get used to but the hotbox in maya is pretty quick too. But please no Icons!

sorry for the long rant, but I strongly suggest others to make use of thier shortcuts, (untill the computer can read your mind)