PDA

View Full Version : Straches in a gloss black surface

monfoodoo
06-21-2010, 07:24 AM
How would i go about putting straches in a gloss black surface.What i,m doing doesn't seem to work.

cresshead
06-21-2010, 07:32 AM
scratches would be dropped into the specular and bump slots of the surface editor for the effect to start to look correct.

then your surface also needs a bit of specular hi light

monfoodoo
06-21-2010, 07:38 AM
What would be my base color,a dark gray with white being the scratch?

biliousfrog
06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
It depends what you need, how deep are they?

For the bump white is 'out', black is 'in' and 50% black is neutral...similarly, for anything else, white is 100% and black is 0%. If they are deep scratches then bump would probably be enough.

As specularity is just a cheat for reflection a rough surface would have a lower gloss value, causing light to be dispersed more. If you're using blurred reflections the blurryness would increase with fine scratches, this is what spec/gloss is trying to mimic.

As specularity/reflection is so closely tied to diffuse you would probably also need to adjust the diffuse. As reflection increases, diffuse decreases...it is generally accepted that both values should equal 100-110% when added together, so a lightly scratched surface would become less glossy and more diffuse.

ZE_COLMEIA
06-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Mate, What I can tell you is to think about the material you are trying to simulate, what material were used to make the scratch (if it will leave some mark and how sharp or defined will be the scratch ) and if it does have some different material in a lower layer (just like car painting, there are layers of white and metalic material, or black painted wood, for example, it will be nice to use bump based gradients in the color channel to reveal the inner material.

monfoodoo
06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replies.I'll take it all in and have a go at it.