PDA

View Full Version : Points to Polygon

ednachman
06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I am attaching two images. "Points Identified" shows what I have selected; I then press "p" and get "New Polygon Result" which is a Triangle, not what I've originally identified to form a polygon. Any help is appreciated.

evenflcw
06-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Did you check statistics? Is it a true triangle, with only 3 points, or an abomination, a polygon that looks like a triangle but has more points (it just didn't connect the way you would expect)? If you select the polygon, what does it look like? Did you select the points in order? Were any of the points we see actually more than 1 point?

Sensei
06-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I am getting similar result as you when selecting points in other order than I should..

Danner
06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
is everything in the same layer?

Hopper
06-19-2010, 05:50 PM
It obviously doesn't solve the issue with creating the poly in one step, but when I run into anomalies like that, I simply make the triangles then merge.

EDIT: Also... try selecting one of the other points first (instead of the corner point).

ednachman
06-19-2010, 07:21 PM
They weren't on the same layer. Made a copy and pasted in back into the proper layer and "Make Polygon". It now works. Thanks Danner and everyone else with a suggestion.

Philbert
06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
You really shouldn't make concave polys like that anyway, it can cause errors pretty easily.