PDA

View Full Version : Why doesnt NEWTEK show off at shows like this?

Ade
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
IBC (http://www.apple.com/uk/hotnews/articles/ibc/)

Im sick to death of always seeing that MAYA ALIAS icon when Apple talks 3D hehe...

I wish Newtek would agressively market for Apple.
Do you think a DFX for Apple would go down well?

Lightwolf
09-15-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi Ade,
I've just returned from IBC.
There was hardly any 3D there, except for a m*** demo by l*** at the Apple booth (the same stuff they showed at Siggraph), 3DS Max in a corner at discreet's and an Alias rep at (surprisingly) the Adobe booth.

Newtek should have been there for the VT[3] though, after all, IBC is the second most important video event after NAB, and the most important one in Europe. Well, then again, I'm not _that_ surprised they didn't show up :(

As for DFX, I think eyeon are quite happy at the moment, the aquisition of Shake by Apple has made many Shake users switch over to DF, most of them being extremely annoyed. Why should eyeon consider the Mac? To battle Shake? I don't think it makes sense from their point of view. They did demo the Linux version though, which looks very nice.

Cheers,
Mike

Ade
09-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Newtek needs more exposure in Europe. Apps like C4d are huge cause they make their presence shown...

I remember once Newtek demoed Lightwave on a dual G4 at macword cause they were the first to show off LW on osx.
Man that was a great opportunity and is what made me take LW to heart.

Matt
09-15-2003, 07:17 AM
Speaking of missed opportunities , the link to newtek's site in apple.com's 'hot apps' section goes to www.lightwave6.com

I'd ask apple if they could change that if I were you NT!

:)

Ade
09-15-2003, 08:22 AM
lol perfect opportunity for nt to talk more with Apple. What NT should do is market LW as the 3D app that plays well with FCP.

Matt
09-15-2003, 08:46 AM
I have a feeling Apple aren't too 'into' NewTek because it's not aqua-ised!

Mind you neither is Modo!

Ade
09-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Skins for Lightwave just like C4d does!

Skins -
Aqua
Platinum
Pro dark.

eblu
09-15-2003, 09:07 AM
and the other apps are aqua? not in my opinion.

besides apple is moving to the brushed metal look now, to get that in LW just downgrade to 6.0 (or was it 6.5).

its not an aqua thing, Apple has been embracing UI disasters for some time now. Its a politics/marketing thing... theres money and effort behind the marketing we see, and it probably helps that Apple hired Richard Kerris. At this point Apple and Newtek are relative strangers, while Apple and some other companies are real tight.

Ade
09-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Apple and Newtek did a great keynote in 2001 at macworld. Cinema 4D sells big on macs cause they market as friendly mac savvy. I really hope LW8 isnt just a new app but a new attitude..towards mac.

Just a side note, NEWTEK update your apple info -
Lightwave on apple (http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/lightwave/)

Scott_NewTek
09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone... hmm... that data is a bit out-of-date! We'll track it down and see about getting it fixed up!

Thanks for the info.

As for the NewTek relationship with Apple... we are very much in contact with them, not to worry...

-Scott

Ge4-ce
09-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Scott_NewTek
Hi everyone... hmm... that data is a bit out-of-date! We'll track it down and see about getting it fixed up!

Thanks for the info.

As for the NewTek relationship with Apple... we are very much in contact with them, not to worry...

-Scott

Hey, Scott! Nice to hear you again.. How are things with that nasty OpenGL bug?

I'm sorry that I keep on complaining, but it has been more than 2 months since I last used modeler now,.. and I'm gonna need it very soon (this thursday..) and if I can't use my powerbook... I have to use a local PC YIKES!!!!!!! please...

how are business on that one? is there any progress??

Thanx

Beamtracer
09-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Regarding Apple's website:

The old link to LW6 on Apple's website was the subject of a previous forum thread here. Someone from Newtek said that Apple had been approached, but hadn't updated their site yet.

Regarding Newtek & Apple:

I think it is a perceived thing. Competitors, like the unmentionable one, turned up again under Apple's wing, touting their wares in Apple's own booth at IBC (International Broadcasting Conference) in Europe.

This competitor seems to turn up everywhere, with Apple. People get the impression that the competitor is "in" with Apple, when we don't see Newtek at similar Apple events.

As we have learned from Scott, behind the scenes Newtek is very much in contact with Apple.

archiea
09-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I've mentioned thisin the past. Chuck has replied to my concerns BTW. There was mention of effort on Apple's part to update their site..... Don't recall the details...

Scott_NewTek
09-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ge4-ce
Hey, Scott! Nice to hear you again.. How are things with that nasty OpenGL bug?

I'm sorry that I keep on complaining, but it has been more than 2 months since I last used modeler now,.. and I'm gonna need it very soon (this thursday..) and if I can't use my powerbook... I have to use a local PC YIKES!!!!!!! please...

how are business on that one? is there any progress??

Thanx

Well... I am trying to figure something out for you... I am not sure Thursday is a viable deadline... sorry about that. But, I will keep you posted when things get resolved.

This seems to be a quirky bug in that it is not very obvious. But, we are working on it. Sorry for the delay.

policarpo
09-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey Scott, just want to make sure you've spyed on this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=75956#post75956

I am going to wipe my drive in the next couple days to see if it squashes the bug. :(

And if that doesn't work, it's time to get on the horn with Apple. :)

Scott_NewTek
09-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by policarpo
Hey Scott, just want to make sure you've spyed on this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=75956#post75956

I am going to wipe my drive in the next couple days to see if it squashes the bug. :(

And if that doesn't work, it's time to get on the horn with Apple. :)

Yes, I saw that, that is good data. Thanks for the input.

-Scott

Ade
09-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Ge4 if you need modeller bad, goto archieve install and get back to 10.2.4. It doesnt take much and you dont need to reinstall any appz.
BUT Lightwave will ask for the .eve3 file, i move them to the new location in the new system folder using a "root login".

mlinde
09-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Expanding on Ade's explanation:
1) Put Eve3.framework in your home directory
2) Launch Terminal
3) type "sudo cp ~/Eve3.framework /System/Library/Frameworks"

You will be prompted to enter a password, go ahead and enter your user password. If the copy is successful, you will see a prompt, no other notice. Oh, and case is very important, make sure you don't mess up with something like system/LIbrary or it won't work

Ge4-ce
09-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Scott_NewTek
Well... I am trying to figure something out for you... I am not sure Thursday is a viable deadline... sorry about that. But, I will keep you posted when things get resolved.

This seems to be a quirky bug in that it is not very obvious. But, we are working on it. Sorry for the delay.

Ok, no problem! I can use modeler on a pc then.. Lightwave itself does not seem to crash.. I can work like that for a while, but not long.. But thanx you keep us posted.. knowing you guys are working on it, makes allready a difference..

eblu
09-16-2003, 10:15 AM
scott,
in my experience this singular problem crops up every few years with different software, and hardware. It seems to be related to the fact that the consumer Graphics cards only support the supposed "Carmack" subset of openGL. Since the Carmack subset is not a real standard, this leaves a vague interpretation to what is supported by the individual card. It is further aggravated by the fact that 3-d relies on hardware and software from at least 3 companies if not more. All of the companies adhere to their interpretations of "support" for the openGL platform, and they rarely compare notes. You are right, its a messy problem with no direct and clearly documented solution.