PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Normal Maps

Lamont
06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Alright, it took an export from Maya to show me this. I was wondering why the smoothing was all messed up, looked down and noticed an entry in Vertex Normal Maps. Now where do I set my vertex normal angles? Where do I create them? It's not listed in the vertex maps.

Nice start in the right direction. NOW to get it to export out of Lightwave (OBJ/FBX/Collada... anything!!) so I can get things into Unreal/Unity/Maya properly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2851501/vnormals.jpg

VonBon
06-17-2010, 08:25 PM
i thought your normal map angles were determined from your Hi-rez object.

Lamont
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
i thought your normal map angles were determined from your Hi-rez object.Yes, and no. Smoothing is needed to give the illusion of a smooth surface using vertex normals. This affects lighting/baking and the resulting normal map.

The name "Vertex Normal Map" is misleading. But in the Lightwave universe, it's accurate: UV Map, Vertex Color Map, Weightmap, Vertex Normal Map...

Went through many settings/menu's in LW, still can't find where you edit this. But I guess it doesn't matter since it can't be exported to something useful.:cursin::cursin::cursin:

VonBon
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe Dponts nodes has a solution

Lamont
06-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Maybe Dponts nodes has a solutionNo, this is strictly realtime/game applications.

Myagi
06-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Went through many settings/menu's in LW, still can't find where you edit this. But I guess it doesn't matter since it can't be exported to something useful.:cursin::cursin::cursin:

I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that you can't edit/create those, they're only used when importing geometry (or lwo's generated elswhere) or somesuch.

Lamont
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that you can't edit/create those, they're only used when importing geometry (or lwo's generated elswhere) or somesuch.What!?

http://www.oddanimals.com/images/oddanimals063.jpg

Lamont
06-17-2010, 10:52 PM
One more cat...

http://img1.visualizeus.com/thumbs/09/02/03/angry,animals,cat,cute,dog,fight-aba2ed7a5294a4f70632c76e6b422eba_h.jpg

dpont
06-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Your object must have an UV map,
modify Smoothing angle or normal,
export it as an Obj.
If you test this with a smoothed
sphere, you can verify that even
unwelded polys keep smoothing
with Vertex Normal Map enabled.

Denis.

Lamont
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Your object must have an UV map,
modify Smoothing angle or normal,
export it as an Obj.
If you test this with a smoothed
sphere, you can verify that even
unwelded polys keep smoothing
with Vertex Normal Map enabled.

Denis.
I think you're missing it. I want multiple smoothing angles without making multiple surfaces or unwelding verts/polys/edges (hack).

dpont
06-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Don't blame hackers please. Thanks

Denis.

Lamont
06-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Don't blame hackers please. Thanks

Denis.I REALLY don't understand now. What do hackers have to do with this?

dpont
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
As I know a vertex normal is a 'secondary selection'
after a 'primary selection' of a polygon,
so editing such normal is not possible
directly in Modeler,
until you break/unweld surfaces,
then a point normal can be modified,
exported, object should be merged after
being re-imported, yes this is a hack.

Denis.

mattc
06-18-2010, 01:00 AM
I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that you can't edit/create those, they're only used when importing geometry (or lwo's generated elswhere) or somesuch.

They are specifically for utilising in the import of OBJs from external applications to ensure that the smoothing looks right for those imported objects.

They cannot be edited at this time.

Lamont
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, that pipeline requires an application capable of properly retaining/using/editing/exporting vertex normal data. So why not just ditch LW all together and stay in that application?

What about people ONLY have LW? You can't weld verts in Unreal/Unity/Shiva/CryEngine/Hammer/Ogre/Torque.. etc. Some engines will complain, throw up errors, not build various nodes correctly, shade, you'll get the nice dancing line... too many issues from doing it like this.

So a hack is great for a multiple-application pipeline... like LW>Maya>Target. But if you own Maya, then just drop the LW part.

Lamont
06-18-2010, 01:26 AM
They are specifically for utilising in the import of OBJs from external applications to ensure that the smoothing looks right for those imported objects.

They cannot be edited at this time.Sucks having something so close, yet so far.