PDA

View Full Version : Roads and highways

VonBon
06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
was looking for some insight on how you guys would approach the
creations of Roads and Highways. :hey:

hrgiger
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Um, have you seen the latest version of LWCAD?

Here's a video: http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/online_tutorials/LWCAD_35/roads/roads.htm

VonBon
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Not yet but i'll go have a look.

wasn't trying to spend any money :D

VonBon
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Are there any native LW techniques.

VonBon
06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Isn't there a way to morph a straight road into the curvatue of a spline.

Tobian
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
You could try and use Dpont's spline map for routing road textures... http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/Deformers.html#SplineMap

and that road feature on the new LWcad looks superb!

VonBon
06-17-2010, 08:34 PM
yea it does look pretty smooth.

I still haven't used Dponts node tools.
I need to take a good look at them.

moussepipi2000
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
hi all. i m trying to get work the spline map node of dpont but cant. does anyone ever try it ? what kind of setup it need? i follow the explanation in dpont site but it lack information how to setup it basically

dwburman
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Have you tried using rail extrude?

Make a curve, put it in a background layer. Make a profile of your road surface at the head of the curve. If you want a UV mapped road, you need to make the UV map at this point before you extrude it. Now you can use the Rail Extrude tool.

If you use nodes to apply an image map, you can tile the UVs so the image repeats.

There are ways to bend a road in layout... you could make a bone chain. I think I've seen tools for converting splines to bones.

There are also the CurveConform and SplineControl deformers you can get to in the object property panel in the Add Deformers section.

moussepipi2000
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
ahh! i need a uv map for this? so the spline map is just useful to repeat the UV? i thought the spline map was able to constraint a map along the spline.

my object is a simple circle exactly the same example in dpont spline map page. since i didnt know how get working spline map node , i used the new Pictrix Uv Creeper. its fantastic.

i will try dpont spline map! thank you

biliousfrog
08-04-2010, 01:29 AM
A little known utility in Lightwave is UV Spider - select some adjacent polys, click UV Spider and LW will create a UV along the poly loop. The only downside is that the UV'd polys will have equal spacing along the U/V axis so might require some tweaking...it also requires 4 sided polys

dwburman
08-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I haven't tried that dpont plug in yet. I may have to look into that since I'll be building a new road soon.

THREEL
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
A quick way, depending on how detailed you want to get, is to model & texture your road perfectly straight. Then you can bend it in another layer and create a morph target. The texture will follow the morph that way.

This was done in LW 8.5. It's just a quick example:

shrox
08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
A quick way, depending on how detailed you want to get, is to model & texture your road perfectly straight. Then you can bend it in another layer and create a morph target. The texture will follow the morph that way.

This was done in LW 8.5. It's just a quick example:

That's how I did my roads. Zoom zoom.

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 11:11 AM
That's not a bad idea.

Does anyone know how to get a road on a terrain?... would it be better to do this in something else?

Also I saw the road tool in LWCAD... but the only issue I have is that the lines are polygons. I want to possibly put it in a realtime (game) engine and that would just cause some issues. I like the idea of texturing and then putting morph targets to it.

Thanks.

Elmar Moelzer
08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
That's how I did my roads. Zoom zoom.

Thats how I used to do it in the 5.6 times.
Nowadays I am using UVmaps and railextrude. That reduces the problems of connecting the road with the rest of the landscape (does not look as nice if they are separate objects and is somewhat messy)

OlaHaldor
08-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Would you mind making a video, quick and dirty or deep into the matter? :)

safetyman
08-06-2010, 06:14 AM
My two cents:
1. Create your terrain
2. Select a line of points along the terrain that will be the center line of your road
3. Copy them, change to a new layer, paste
4. Select the points in order, create 2-pt poly chain
5. Use this poly chain as a guide to rail extrude your road

Elmar Moelzer
08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
4. Select the points in order, create 2-pt poly chain
You mean "create an Open Curve", not a 2-pt poly chain.
Last time I checked, Rail Extrude only worked with Curves.

Danner
08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
This tutorial is in spanish and it's for another sofware package, but the images speak for themselves and you can follow it in Lightwave.

http://www.etereaestudios.com/training_img/subd_tips/carretera_1.htm

Not very game engine friendly, but you could later make textures and displacements based on the high res object.

Tobian
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Cool tutorial and some easy to follow advice. (even for non spanish speakers!) More complex maps could be very timetaking, but i think that should be doable for most LWers! :D

geothefaust
08-06-2010, 03:37 PM
If you have Messiah, you could model your roads straight in whatever application, quickly rig the road with a spline or bones, then export the deformed mesh (assuming you need it in another application as a static mesh).

Elmar Moelzer
08-07-2010, 05:08 AM
If you have Messiah, you could model your roads straight in whatever application, quickly rig the road with a spline or bones, then export the deformed mesh (assuming you need it in another application as a static mesh).

You can do that in LW as well...

geothefaust
08-08-2010, 10:49 AM
You can do that in LW as well...

You can place a spline in Layout and edit the spline curve to adjust the curve to edit the mesh? Last I checked there were no spline tools in layout. (The bones part is of course, but definitely not splines. Which are much easier to use.)

Elmar Moelzer
08-08-2010, 12:13 PM
You can place a spline in Layout and edit the spline curve to adjust the curve to edit the mesh? Last I checked there were no spline tools in layout.

Uhm, Splinecontrol?

Lamont
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
DStorms (or was it Pictrix) site has a plugin that works like UV Spider, and keeps the spacing correct. I think it was UVRoad or some nonsense. But you had to commit to the new UV's as the undo was always borked.

geothefaust
08-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Uhm, Splinecontrol?

Erm, never heard of it. Too much work now at this point. I don't even open layout anymore, just modeler. (Do all my layout, animation, shading and rendering in Messiah. :) )

Danner
08-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Bugzila made this tut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_UmRFEoy4

Elmar Moelzer
08-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Which pretty much once again proves the point that documentation in LW REALLY needs severe improvement - along with mini-tutorials showing how tools are used. I sincerely hope that LW10 has outstanding documentation and lots of little "how-to's" that is available when it is ready to ship - and not... "we'll get to it ASAP."

Uhm, Layout manual, page 377, Chapter 19: Animating
There were tons of video tutorials on the NT- website until Jay and co decided to remove them for some strange reason that nobody will ever understand.

safetyman
08-09-2010, 06:28 AM
You mean "create an Open Curve", not a 2-pt poly chain.
Last time I checked, Rail Extrude only worked with Curves.

You are correct -- sorry. I've been away from LW for awhile, working in Maya, so I forgot about that.

Kuzey
08-09-2010, 07:52 AM
selective smooth was here http://www.kanra-kanra.com/html

but seems to be gone so I will post here. hope it is ok

Ooooh...looks like a very cool script :thumbsup:

Kuzey