PDA

View Full Version : fprime Questions - Speed - Quality

Rich-Potter
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Hello,

Im currently working on an animation for an arch company and I am doing it in Lightwave 9.6. At present I am at the stage where Im ready to render, there are 2100 slides.

On average each slide is taking 2 mins, there are 4 dome lights, ambient occlusion, ray tracing, transparencies 30k polys etc etc.

Ive been reading about fPrime, watched the videos etc.

Can someone please tell me if this will help me speed up the process if i do it in Fprime? I can see that it is extremely useful in every other aspect but if it can help me avoid a 70 hour render then I will push to buy it now.

Also will the quality be the same? does it allow for rendering animations? can you save the files?

Im aware that there are infinity threads about fprime but am yet to find one that answers me sufficiently,

Thanks a lot for your help,

Danner
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Well.. will it speed up render time? it depends on your scene. Fprime excells at multiple reflections and transparencies, spinning light setups, radiosity animations where things other than the camera move. But Lightwave's renderer is faster at cached radiosity situations. Not sure about area lights, don't do many of those anymore. Another thing fprime does great is speed up the surfacing and lighting of your scenes having instant feedback on how things will look.

Not only can it save the files, the final renderer is faster than the preview renderer, and you can use the images even before they are "done" Useful for compositing or color correction while it is still rendering or to send a preview to a client/boss, detect problems or just making sure you will have something to show come deadline time.

Mr Rid
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I cant figure out how anyone uses Fprime. It only crashes every few minutes for me, with simple scenes, trying three different licenses, in LW 9.2, 9.3, 9.6, and XP, Vista and Win 7.

Phil
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
It's been rock solid for me, but the OS X version is clamped to a maximum of 2 threads due to issues in OS X and/or LW that will (hopefully) be resolved in a future release of LW. As such, for me, it is severely limited in potency, but that's a consequence of my choice of platform.

The main issues to be aware of are all listed in the FPrime FAQ on Worley's site (in terms of what limitations there are).

gordonrobb
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Best bet is zip up your scene and objects etc and get someone to render a sectin of it in fPrime. As has been said, its faster at some things and not at others. It is very good when setting up textures and lgihting though.

Mr Rid, I have to say I have never had fPrime crash. If it has cfg files, try killing them and see if that makes a difference.

MUCUS
06-18-2010, 12:54 AM
For me LW renderer and Fprime work fine (maybe Fprime have some problems with Ngons sometimes, and it's radiosity is not as flexible as LW radiosity), but personally if I've made my control renders with a renderer, I'll keep this one for final render, cause it may have some differences (very few but still) between LW render and Fprime.

If I was you I stick with LW for this one, but yes you have to try Fprime cause it's a really time saver sometimes (texture setup in real time is really great).

That say, I'll have a try with kray too, it's a bit harder than LW to understand but very powerfull, and (from what I heard) faster than LW and Fprime, at least for arch render.

Salv8or
06-18-2010, 03:25 AM
No one mentioning K-Ray? I have not bought it yet, but the domo version is fully functional with the downer that it leavs a watermark. But you can download and try it.. I think its bloody fast, and gives great renders.

(It also renders with gamma correction, wich f-prime does'nt.)

3dWannabe
06-18-2010, 06:16 AM
No one mentioning K-Ray? I have not bought it yet, but the domo version is fully functional with the downer that it leavs a watermark. But you can download and try it.. I think its bloody fast, and gives great renders.

(It also renders with gamma correction, wich f-prime does'nt.)

I looked at Kray and was very interested. Only deal-breaker for me with Kray is lack of exrTrader support, but that might not affect you.

Sensei
06-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I cant figure out how anyone uses Fprime. It only crashes every few minutes for me, with simple scenes, trying three different licenses, in LW 9.2, 9.3, 9.6, and XP, Vista and Win 7.

Then you should send content to Worley.

Of course you're using -c command option to redirect config directory for every single LW version?

BTW, interactive previewers render all the time, without stopping. Systems which have problem with stability, especially over clocked, will suffer more than normal. I couldn't use mine previewer on laptop with infinite refinement (so I had to use special version with stopping refinement quickly at 1x1 pixel), because of this. F9 or F10 rendering is not so demanding as previewing. F10 might not cause shut-down of system, when previewing might.